[5.4.1] No trees after adding mods?

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

[5.4.1] No trees after adding mods?

by Blockhead » Post

Hi all,

As mentioned in the post title I'm running 5.4.1 - in particular from Debian bookworm. I've got a weird one for ye. It's happened twice now. So, first time was when I was testing AdvTrains on MineClone2, the other just now was a few mods including ethereal, advtrains and linetrack under Minetest Game. In both cases, I slowly enabled more mods to fix dependencies and as I wanted to keep testing for a bit in the world. In both cases, after a while there are no more treees or tall grasses appearing, only the base terrain. Mapgen v7 is used in both cases.

World with: Minetest Game, advtrains, basic_materials, darkage, ethereal, linetrack, mesecons, pipeworks, technic:

World with: Mineclone2, advtrains, basic_trains:

I can't remember the exact order I added mods in each case (I may try to reproduce later). I started with the vanilla game (MTG/MCL2) in both instances, then added advtrains, then technic, then technic's actual dependencies, and at that point you fly around and realise there's no ground cover. I just spotted some coal and gravel so it seems ores are not effected, but 'decorations' might be?
Attachments
screenshot_20211119_223135_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_223135_web.jpeg (341.92 KiB) Viewed 973 times
screenshot_20211119_222900_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_222900_web.jpeg (448.58 KiB) Viewed 973 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

Re: [5.4.1] No trees after adding mods?

by wsor4035 » Post

probably decorations, open the world folder, map_meta.txt if it has "nodecorations" they are disabled, if it has "decorations", they are enabled
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Oh, that does it. I don't remember where or when I turned these mapgen flags off, but I turned them back on and now everything is back to what I expected. There's an API for setting mapgen flags from Lua, but my understanding is that it's per-world, so that lua mapgens can enforce certain flags. So I don't think I can blame one of them, only myself :)

Attachments
mapgen_settings.jpeg
mapgen_settings.jpeg (126.21 KiB) Viewed 973 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Mods being able to overwrite the global mapgen configuration is a known issue and will be fixed in 5.5.
If you have any other strange problems you can go and delete your minetest.conf (or manually remove the mapgen settings in a text editor).
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

While this might also be an issue, my guess is that one of the mods has an on_generated call where minetest.generate_ores(vm,minp,maxp) and or minetest.generate_decorations(vm,minp,maxp) is not being called.

Maybe it got commented out in one of the mods. I've used this to actually look at terrain while coding mapgens, disabling the decorations for faster generation, and to see terrain more clearly.

Shad