What's Causing the Lighting Issue In the First Pic?

Burkha
In-game: Burkha

What's Causing the Lighting Issue In the First Pic?

by Burkha » Post

I included the mods I'm running on this save. What's up with this?
Edit: Forth image is underneath (without blocks from earlier images)

Image Image
Last edited by Burkha on Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Burkha
In-game: Burkha

Re: What's Causing the Lighting Issue In the First Pic?

by Burkha » Post

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Stairs do not block light. Otherwise they would appear black, or stacking them vertically would result in wrong looking dark ground. Use solid nodes to block light.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Burkhaalt

by Burkhaalt » Post

Krock wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 19:03
Stairs do not block light. Otherwise they would appear black, or stacking them vertically would result in wrong looking dark ground. Use solid nodes to block light.
Interesting. Why do stairs not block light? Is it because of their geometry or are they defined differently than other nodes?

Edit: It's also interesting because I placed a solid node on top of that specific area. The light must be coming from the adjacent stairs

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Burkhaalt wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 19:23
Interesting. Why do stairs not block light? Is it because of their geometry or are they defined differently than other nodes?
Minetest's lighting model is simplistic. Either a node passes light, reduces it slightly, or blocks it entirely. There's no allowance for geometric and rotational based lighting. Thus, stairs mod, moreblocks mod and a lot of other mods define all their shaped blocks as light-passing rather than light-blocking.

Imagine a house made out of slabs. If you laid them in normal rotation so all the walls had big gaps you would expect light to pass through; if you laid them upright against each other you would expect light to not pass through. Expectation unfortunately clashes with the reality that it's kind of impractical to correctly calculate lighting. Anyway, passing light by default rather than blocking it at all times seems to satisfy more lighting scenarios.
Burkhaalt wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 19:23
Edit: It's also interesting because I placed a solid node on top of that specific area. The light must be coming from the adjacent stairs
Sounds about right. Light travels horizontally somewhat; for instance if you had an otherwise unlit underground chamber with a skylight, a patch around the skylight will be lit, not just the one node directly underneath it.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂