World has turned completely barren. How can I fix it? [LINUX]

HalvorRaknes
GitHub: HalvorRaknes

World has turned completely barren. How can I fix it? [LINUX]

by HalvorRaknes » Post

My singleplayer world suddenly turned into a stone desert. All forests and other surfaces except stone seem to have vanished, Including all the work I have done.

I have a list of geographical features by coordinates, and akthough almost everything seems to have been wiped, some original features which I had jotted down remain, such as entrances to underground cobblestone buildings.

This didn't completely happen out of the blue. I have been working a strip mine for a year and a half, and I decided I wanted to fly about visiting places I hadn't seen in a very long time. Then what happened was that when I got to a certain place the game crashed. When I restarted the game I could go back in the opposite direction, but if I attempted to move forward in the same direction as when the game crashed, it would crash again. Then I tried changing position using the teleport command. That was when all previous features apparently got wiped. I then tried loading a one day old backup version of the world, and all the features were still gone!

The way I have been making backups is to copy the map.sqlite and rollback.sqlite files. I'm not sure this is the most correct way of making backups, but it has worked in the past loading backup files.

I am running Linux Mint 20.3.
Last edited by HalvorRaknes on Wed Jul 13, 2022 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

HalvorRaknes

Re: World has turned completely barren. How can I fix it?

by HalvorRaknes » Post

275 people has looked at this post. Surely some of you can make some suggestions about how to address this issue?

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

I don't know how many of the 275 'lookers' use Linux, but I'd hazard that's the reason you haven't seen a reply yet.

alerikaisattera
GitHub: alerikaisattera

by alerikaisattera » Post

What mods did you have?

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Is the map_meta.txt of your world still intact? In particular your mapgen-specific flags e.g. mgv7_spflags for mapgen v7 specific flags. That is the closest thing I can think of, which I think would make the game neglect to generate features in the the world in places that are newly generated, maybe even the dirt on the terrain. But even then I would think you would get terrain, just not trees and so on. But if it's happening in areas you've already visited, then I'm really lost.

Where are the post view statistics btw? 275 people? Edit: Oh it's right in the post list when browsing the forum.. it's still out of alignment btw.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I saw your post, but while "world turns completely barren" usually happens when you generate new terrain with mapgen flags like "no_biomes" what you're describing is some kind of crash or save corruption, and I'm not sure what's going on there.
Do you have a backup from earlier than the one day backup?

Actually it could be a combination of things, if there were corrupted mapchunks, MT would regenerate them, and if the mapgen flags had been altered to add no_ores/no_biomes then it would regenerate them as barren stone. So yeah, definitely check your map_meta.txt and maybe check your global settings, they could have been applied if map_meta was corrupted too.

I'd also consider backing up to another computer or other location, you may have some kind of hardware fault, RAM or hard drive are most likely, and this could happen again.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

HalvorRaknes

by HalvorRaknes » Post

KCoombes wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:04
I don't know how many of the 275 'lookers' use Linux, but I'd hazard that's the reason you haven't seen a reply yet.
I added [LINUX] to the Subject now.

HalvorRaknes

by HalvorRaknes » Post

alerikaisattera wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:22
What mods did you have?
cartographer
cartographer_minetest_game
mg_villages

I don't know if they are enabled (or how to check if they are).

HalvorRaknes

by HalvorRaknes » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 17:00
Is the map_meta.txt of your world still intact?
Yes,
In particular your mapgen-specific flags e.g. mgv7_spflags for mapgen v7 specific flags.
The world is mapgen Flat and that file contains a lot of mgflat flags.
That is the closest thing I can think of, which I think would make the game neglect to generate features in the the world in places that are newly generated, maybe even the dirt on the terrain. But even then I would think you would get terrain, just not trees and so on. But if it's happening in areas you've already visited, then I'm really lost.
Well, it's flat, but all is level, so soil and sand and gravel and water must have been converted to stone. But caves, and as I mentioned cobblestone structures seem to have been preserved.

HalvorRaknes

by HalvorRaknes » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 18:50
I saw your post, but while "world turns completely barren" usually happens when you generate new terrain with mapgen flags like "no_biomes" what you're describing is some kind of crash or save corruption, and I'm not sure what's going on there.
Do you have a backup from earlier than the one day backup?
A ten-day old backup is no different.
Actually it could be a combination of things, if there were corrupted mapchunks, MT would regenerate them, and if the mapgen flags had been altered to add no_ores/no_biomes then it would regenerate them as barren stone. So yeah, definitely check your map_meta.txt and maybe check your global settings, they could have been applied if map_meta was corrupted too.
As I wrote above map_meta.txt seems uncorrupted.
I'd also consider backing up to another computer or other location, you may have some kind of hardware fault, RAM or hard drive are most likely, and this could happen again.
Well, I'm on a ten year old laptop. That said, I haven't experienced any other incidents that would indicate hardware corruption.

loosewheel
GitHub: loosewheel
In-game: loosewheel

Re: World has turned completely barren. How can I fix it? [LINUX]

by loosewheel » Post

This is a complete guess. I really have no idea what happened or how to fix it. On the surface it looks like data corruption. I don't know what version of MT you're using, but I believe the release notes of 5.5.0 said that the data format for the world was changed and existing worlds are converted when they are loaded.

If you have a backup from before then you could compile a local copy of a version prior to 5.5.0 and see if the world loads correctly. This won't fix it, but it might give you a clue as to what is going on.