Can't host server from my Linux PC.

themiauxddev
GitHub: themiauxddev
In-game: tmxdd

Can't host server from my Linux PC.

by themiauxddev » Post

Hello everyone! I have trouble making a server from my computer for other devices that are connected to my Wi-Fi network. I explain below.

As usual, I try to make a server by simply selecting my MT world to host and you're done. But the problem is that when I try to connect the devices, I can't. I get a "Connection timed out" error even on my phone. But, what I can do is connect from other worlds, for example, I can connect to a family member's phone world from the computer easily.
When entering the IP of my PC to the devices that I want to connect, then the "Connection timed out" error that I had mentioned occurs. I try 172.0.0.1, nothing. I try going to the router page and then entering the IP of my PC, it doesn't work either. And then I try to put the IP that appears in "ifconfig" (Linux) and it doesn't work either. I disabled UFW and Opensnitch, and it doesn't work either. I've already searched the Internet for help, and as I see in "https://wiki.minetest.net/Setting_up_a_server", I need to create an SH file and place it in the MT directory, but I can't even find it (MT installed using Flatpak) . And it's quite frustrating that I can't host my own worlds. What can I do in that case? I have updated to the latest version and the same thing happens, and I don't know what to do anymore... I would appreciate any positive response :D.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Can't host server from my Linux PC.

by Blockhead » Post

First a sanity check: You did tick "Host server" before launching the world each time right?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

* check the access 'Lan from Wan' (mean Wifi over Router allow to local network) x in the router also
* does the local mt server has a firewall on, active ... = need to allow the port in ...
* check a possible connection first by ping other addresses also, mean 'ping 127.0.0.1' from the 127.0.0.2 to detect maybe other problems (IP range, firewall, router block)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Second sanity check: can you connect a client running on the same machine as your server?

Third sanity check: Does the IP of your server begins the same as the other machines on your WiFi LAN? if it is 172.0.0.1 other machines should be something like 172.0.x.y.

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 08:40
Second sanity check: can you connect a client running on the same machine as your server?

Third sanity check: Does the IP of your server begins the same as the other machines on your WiFi LAN? if it is 172.0.0.1 other machines should be something like 172.0.x.y.
second: ... No, you get an error if i remember... its best to host server on Separate machine

Third: ... yer, check the IP of your Server in the Local network.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

L-Dog wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:52
Astrobe wrote:
second: ... No, you get an error if i remember... its best to host server on Separate machine
I connect to locally hosted servers from the same machine all the time. No errors here.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

themiauxddev

by themiauxddev » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 03:09
First a sanity check: You did tick "Host server" before launching the world each time right?
Yes.

themiauxddev

by themiauxddev » Post

Astrobe wrote:

Second: I didn't understand very good... Can you please explain me?

Third: I am not sure... I checked in my firewall (Opensnitch) in what IP address is MT connected, and appears that is connected in the default 172.0.0.1.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

themiauxddev wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 20:26
Second: I didn't understand very good... Can you please explain me?
That's actually simple: you run your Minetest server on a machine; if on this machine, you also launch a Minetest client (as if you wanted to play), does it connect? It's probably the case, but it could fail for instance if the server accepts connections on a port you didn't expect (like 31000 instead of the default 30000).
Third: I am not sure... I checked in my firewall (Opensnitch) in what IP address is MT connected, and appears that is connected in the default 172.0.0.1.
I don't know about Opensnitch, but from the logs I've seen in other routers/firewalls, what they tell you can be misleading. It's best to tell us if possible what is the IP configuration (basically IP address and network mask) of both the server and the client that cannot connect.

If you are reluctant to provide such information (normally this is harmless, unless your network is dangerously misconfigured), and you are self-taught in network administration stuff (gratz!), you may miss some important knowledge in order to tackle this problem. I have found two resources that take things from the basics to intermediate level, and don't dive into "hardcore" stuff too quick (I think - my view can be biased as a programmer that deals with networking quite often):

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/basic ... -reference (this one talks about the things I have in mind that could be the cause of your problem) (note: MT uses both TCP and UDP)

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/basic- ... ing-course (this one uses WIndows, though, but has a wider scope without going full "so you want to become a SysAdmin?")

themiauxddev

by themiauxddev » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45
That's actually simple: you run your Minetest server on a machine; if on this machine, you also launch a Minetest client (as if you wanted to play), does it connect? It's probably the case, but it could fail for instance if the server accepts connections on a port you didn't expect (like 31000 instead of the default 30000).
Well, I can connect to other's servers. For example, connect from a local server or a Internet server perfectly from my computer.