I was trying to create a server [SOLVED]

C0rrupted55
In-game: TheSlayer

I was trying to create a server [SOLVED]

by C0rrupted55 » Post

I was trying to create a server so, I tried to download minetest-server but it will removes Minetest

Code: Select all

root@C0rrupted:~# sudo apt-get install minetest
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libjsoncpp25 libpq5 libspatialindex6
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  minetest-data minetest-server
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  minetest
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/10.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 8,284 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Last edited by C0rrupted55 on Thu Oct 06, 2022 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: I'm trying to create a server.

by Desour » Post

The minetest package most certainly also contains the server. The minetest-server packages in the distros are server-only builds.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

C0rrupted55

by C0rrupted55 » Post

I have only one minetestserver file. It is located in /usr/share/man/man6/minetestserver.6.gz

I'd already extracted it using the gzip command

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

The normal minetest package includes the server software built into it. minetest-server is a package for dedicated server computers that don't want the client and GUI.

You should only install minetest-server if you never want to run a client on that system, i.e. a dedicated server. You normally shouldn't install the full package onto e.g. a Virtual Private Server because that wastes space install X windows/Wayland. However, you seem to want the client, so don't install minetest-server. You can still run a server with the normal minetest package.

If you want to run the server on demand on your own computer, but in dedicated mode, use the normal minetest package and run minetest with minetest --server, plus more arguments if you need them like minetest --server --world <worldname> --gameid mineclone2. Run man minetest to get the full list of arguments. If you just want to host a server for friends to join, just tick "Host server" and make sure you have port forwarded.

As an aside the file you have found is the manual page for minetestserver, not its executable file. Executables aren't normally gzipped, but manual pages often are to save space. The actual minetestserver (or just minetest) executable would live in one of /usr/bin/minetestserver, /usr/games/minetestserver or /usr/local/bin/minetestserver. But like I said you probably don't want minetestserver.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

C0rrupted55

by C0rrupted55 » Post

Alright, thank you very much. That was actually worked. This topic is now closed.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

C0rrupted55 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 09:54
Alright, thank you very much. That was actually worked. This topic is now closed.
Add [SOLVED] to the topic title then
MineClone2 dev and modder and the creator of Voxelgarden (revived) || Codeberg