Connectio issue to Minetest Servers

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

Connectio issue to Minetest Servers

by L-Dog » Post

Hi,

Ever since a week or so ago, i have had a waves of maximum lag and sometimes time-outs of whole server - even the server list (in germany?) are looking a lil more laggy.

Plus, players cant connect to my server because of lag? or client stuff?? ... to test my theory please try to connect to 'Dog of War' and remain connected for longer than 10 seconds... i can connect and a select few others but no one else.

wtf going on?

Server itself is running fine but it did have an increase of load during the lag spikes but when i timed out.

L-Dog

Re: Connectio issue to Minetest Servers

by L-Dog » Post

i think i fixed it.

it was a formspec error with client below 5.6

i had updated i3 invi and it kicked players

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

you should try to use monitoring mod for a while. It adds about 5% lag itself, but give you a good hint about the reason any lag might come from.

examples:
* the map is saved every 5.4 ??? seconds, and if disc is fallen sleeping, it takes also time
* at some server just a joining client sucks (normal, standard) a lot of data (map blocks as of position) need to be loaded from disc first, if not in cache
* another app in your home net takes regulary (without your knowledge) data like microsoft cache or updates
... so any other service system on your server from hardware over system to another app can also cause a distraction (priority) away from handling minetest first

so the Server-list is hosted in the Netherlands (if still same) and ping (testing the time for data transfer) from that same location. So the ping shown there is only true and same if your playing from the same provider.
IF as you mention, all German server have an increased lag, then it is an issue of this or another main provider, like often here in Thailand, the route from internal network overseas changes and so all connections via the new route might be 10s faster or 20s slower, depending on the new used sea-cable route.

So to my server ping show between 180 to 220 but I have myself 1 s as I am nearby my server,
and your server is shown there now with 12 s, I have logged into your server 210 ms as I come from far.

What I see first is a lag shown in list of 80, but when I was in I got with /status shown at login 37.8 seconds LAG !
After in for 1 minute and see 2 gamer chatting about i3 (Frogkiller and pl608 left then) and so /status again I get still 10.4 s.
So data from your server to my Client takes 200ms = 1/5 second ...
but your server need still 10 seconds alone to be able so send me data (server, ram hdd issues, load ??)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 22:13
you should try to use monitoring mod for a while. It adds about 5% lag itself, but give you a good hint about the reason any lag might come from.

examples:
* the map is saved every 5.4 ??? seconds, and if disc is fallen sleeping, it takes also time
* at some server just a joining client sucks (normal, standard) a lot of data (map blocks as of position) need to be loaded from disc first, if not in cache
* another app in your home net takes regulary (without your knowledge) data like microsoft cache or updates
... so any other service system on your server from hardware over system to another app can also cause a distraction (priority) away from handling minetest first

so the Server-list is hosted in the Netherlands (if still same) and ping (testing the time for data transfer) from that same location. So the ping shown there is only true and same if your playing from the same provider.
IF as you mention, all German server have an increased lag, then it is an issue of this or another main provider, like often here in Thailand, the route from internal network overseas changes and so all connections via the new route might be 10s faster or 20s slower, depending on the new used sea-cable route.

So to my server ping show between 180 to 220 but I have myself 1 s as I am nearby my server,
and your server is shown there now with 12 s, I have logged into your server 210 ms as I come from far.

What I see first is a lag shown in list of 80, but when I was in I got with /status shown at login 37.8 seconds LAG !
After in for 1 minute and see 2 gamer chatting about i3 (Frogkiller and pl608 left then) and so /status again I get still 10.4 s.
So data from your server to my Client takes 200ms = 1/5 second ...
but your server need still 10 seconds alone to be able so send me data (server, ram hdd issues, load ??)

Thank you for testing. it confirmed my theory on the inventory.

As i explain on the server, i had an older version of the i3 inventory. i had it on my first world, inventory looks amazing. so while looking for mod updates i had updated the i3 and the update stopped any player with 5.4, 5.5 MT client joining... So i got a back of i3 and reinstalled it.

the unified inventory has a major lag bug - if you spam search you can lock server/client. its a shame because that also is an amazing inventory to use.

i chose to go back with i3 older version from back-up folder.... i just players can join still.... we wait and see.

Your a warrior of MineTest bro.

i have 5 spawn points in order to prevent spawn killing, im not sure where you where but i think in middle of nowhere haha.... Main spawn is better.

But the lag of servers.. i notice it has increased. maybe needs looked into

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

L-Dog wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 01:48
the unified inventory has a major lag bug - if you spam search you can lock server/client. its a shame because that also is an amazing inventory to use.
I have reported the issue over on GitHub. There should definitely be a per-player rate limit applied to the search.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂