Need help to publish a realistic 1024px texture pack

Horka
GitHub: Clemstriangular
In-game: Horka

Need help to publish a realistic 1024px texture pack

by Horka » Post

Hi everyone I’m new on the server and I used the translation to write so if there are mistakes it’s normal. I don’t know who to talk to about this prole.
I started creating a 1024px realistic texture pack (which for me is missing on minetest) that I could later put in 512px in a new pack for less powerful computers . I would like to put this pack on minetest content DB, but I don’t know how. Also I don’t know how to use a liscence or how it works. If someone could help me publish it that would be very nice.
If you want screenshots or a video I can .
Thank you

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

Re: Need help to publish a realistic 1024px texture pack

by ROllerozxa » Post

To publish something onto ContentDB first of all you need to register there and log in. Then Create a new package, specify the type to be texture pack and fill in the metadata.

As for licensing, we have a new Copyright Guide available on ContentDB. For you, the summary would be:

- Have you taken textures from somewhere else? Check that they are freely licensed (look for a Creative Commons license), and write down the source, author and license it is under.
- If you make your own textures, you should license them under a free license. I would recommend CC-BY-SA 4.0

Packages are submitted for review before they go public on ContentDB, so if there are any issues then me or another editor can help you out to fix it.

Also, I would probably reconsider a 1024px texture pack. There's only so much detail that can be fit on a single face, and 512px would be more than enough at half the RAM, storage and resource usage.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Hi there,
already thank you for your answer and for your help.
I followed your instructions and read a lot of information.
I would need help to put the liscence you advised me because I did not understand how to do it.
Moreover I am French and do not speak very good English then I do not understand everything .
Do you think I should put the version in 1024px or 512px?
Thank you again for your help.
Last edited by Horka on Sat Jan 21, 2023 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Horka

by Horka » Post

I specify that I am the one who is entirely designed these textures and that I did not copy them.
I used paint.net and krita should I specify it somewhere?

Horka

by Horka » Post

ROllerozxa wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 14:10
To publish something onto ContentDB first of all you need to register there and log in. Then Create a new package, specify the type to be texture pack and fill in the metadata.

As for licensing, we have a new Copyright Guide available on ContentDB. For you, the summary would be:

- Have you taken textures from somewhere else? Check that they are freely licensed (look for a Creative Commons license), and write down the source, author and license it is under.
- If you make your own textures, you should license them under a free license. I would recommend CC-BY-SA 4.0

Packages are submitted for review before they go public on ContentDB, so if there are any issues then me or another editor can help you out to fix it.

Also, I would probably reconsider a 1024px texture pack. There's only so much detail that can be fit on a single face, and 512px would be more than enough at half the RAM, storage and resource usage.
Thanks !

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ROllerozxa wrote:
Actually a quarter of the RAM, as textures are 2d
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Horka

by Horka » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 15:51
ROllerozxa wrote:
Actually a quarter of the RAM, as textures are 2d
Thank you
but it doesn’t help me for the liscence (crying smiley)
But if you can help me it is with great joy !

RobotZombieWizGirl
GitHub: RobotZombieWizardGirl
In-game: RobotZombieWizardGirl

by RobotZombieWizGirl » Post

A license is a document that you include with software (the texture pack in this case) in order to specify who is allowed to use it and under what conditions. Generally, only "free" licenses are allowed on official MT sites. This means that your license has to provide the permissions to copy, modify, share, and utilize the software.

The normal process for finding a license is to pick an accepted free license (a list can be found here) and then add it to a file called LICENSE or LICENSE.txt in your texture pack's main folder. I would recommend using the CC BY-SA 4.0 for art assets, audio, models, etc. and the MIT (X11) license for code.

(Note that you are allowed to use noncommercial licenses that prevent financial gain from your work, but the project maintainers & moderators for most of the minetest.net sites have an unreasonable bias against them)

Horka

by Horka » Post

RobotZombieWizGirl wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 20:37
A license is a document that you include with software (the texture pack in this case) in order to specify who is allowed to use it and under what conditions. Generally, only "free" licenses are allowed on official MT sites. This means that your license has to provide the permissions to copy, modify, share, and utilize the software.

The normal process for finding a license is to pick an accepted free license (a list can be found here) and then add it to a file called LICENSE or LICENSE.txt in your texture pack's main folder. I would recommend using the CC BY-SA 4.0 for art assets, audio, models, etc. and the MIT (X11) license for code.

(Note that you are allowed to use noncommercial licenses that prevent financial gain from your work, but the project maintainers & moderators for most of the minetest.net sites have an unreasonable bias against them)
Okay, thank you very much for your explanations that gave me a better understanding.
So I chose a CC BY-SA 4.0 liscence as you advised.
And thanks again

RobotZombieWizGirl

no problem :)

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Horka wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 17:47
A license is a document that you include with software (the texture pack in this case) in order to specify who is allowed to use it and under what conditions.
Okay, thank you very much for your explanations that gave me a better understanding.
And thanks again
@Horka - Presumably being located in France and the EU you could use one licences to catch them all:

European Union Public Licence (EUPL)

Une nouvelle version de la licence publique de l'Union européenne (EUPL), version 1.2, est mise à disposition conformément à l'annexe de la présente décision.
Please have a look at the appendix on compatible licenses with ref on article 5 of the EUPL.

Horka

by Horka » Post

snoopy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 08:05
Horka wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 17:47
A license is a document that you include with software (the texture pack in this case) in order to specify who is allowed to use it and under what conditions.
And thanks again
@Horka - Presumably being located in France and the EU you could use one licences to catch them all:

European Union Public Licence (EUPL)

Une nouvelle version de la licence publique de l'Union européenne (EUPL), version 1.2, est mise à disposition conformément à l'annexe de la présente décision.
Please have a look at the appendix on compatible licenses with ref on article 5 of the EUPL.
OK, thanks
But I have already applied a CC BY SA 4.0 license and I don't know if I have the right to change (because she is already on content db) it or which one is better

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:13
OK, thanks
But I have already applied a CC BY SA 4.0 license and I don't know if I have the right to change (because she is already on content db) it or which one is better
Since this is a texture pack, the Creative Commons licences are a good choice instead of EUPL, which is really more of a software licence (like for mods). If you make a mod it is common to have a licence for the media (textures, sounds and models) and another for the code, but this is just a texture pack so one licence is fine.

Also if you took the photographs it is your copyright. You cannot revoke the licence to old copies but you can always choose a new licence for newer versions of your copyrighted work.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32
Since this is a texture pack, the Creative Commons licences are a good choice instead of EUPL, which is really more of a software licence . . .
@Blockhead - Sorry to disagree and your information is quite misleading. Please take the time read the full text of the EUPL (including but not limited to the EUPL 1.0 Preamble text) and you will find it most applicable for all kinds of such work.

Anyway, many heads and many opinions alike. However, the author and/or licensor of such work is free to choose at their deliberation.

Have fun with MT.

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

snoopy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44
Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32
Since this is a texture pack, the Creative Commons licences are a good choice instead of EUPL, which is really more of a software licence . . .
@Blockhead - Sorry to disagree and your information is quite misleading. Please take the time read the full text of the EUPL (including but not limited to the EUPL 1.0 Preamble text) and you will find it most applicable for all kinds of such work.
Sure, it is applicable for many kinds of copyrightable works, but it was still written primarily as a software licence, just like the GPL was written for software. "More of a" should be understood to mean "most appropriate for" and not "solely for". The EUPL and GPL both contain references to a "source code" which is most directly understood in its common meaning as the source code of a software program, though the EUPL defines it like this:
European Union Public Licence wrote: ‘The Source Code’: the human-readable form of the Work which is the most convenient for people to study and modify.
Source code can of course be understood to mean what some might call "project file", formats like .xcf for graphics, .blend for models, and DAW formats like .aup3, .mmp.

I think what you really getting at is that the EUPL like other copyleft software licences requires those forms of "source code" to be available, which is considered a stronger protection than, say, providing .b3d files only under a CC licence and never publishing the original project files. I can see that this would be helpful in many cases that have already happened in Minetest.

I have a few counterarguments to recommending EUPL as a blanket rule:
  1. The source project files aren't always available - I have deleted .xcf files before if they are trivial, for instance, making the remaining .png files basically the source code
  2. Authors have a right to choose any kind of licence, ranging from CC0 or CC-BY-*, to MIT and BSD permissive open source licences, to copyleft licences like the EUPL. Just like it is of course your prerogative to recommend EUPL :)
  3. The licence text and number of individual provisions in CC licences is quite straightforward compared to a software licence like EUPL.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Let me add to Blockhead's list:

4. CreativeCommons licenses are much more common than the EUPL. This alone is a good reason to use them; people are familiar with their provisions, many works are readily available licensed under CC licenses.
5. Related to point 4: License compatibility: You can easily mix CC works (provided you follow the license), since the CC licenses (except across versions) are compatible. Perhaps CC could be "upgraded" to the copyleft EUPL (but not vice-versa, since EUPL is more restrictive, imposing copyleft), but this is definitely not certain.

Don't push the EUPL as "the" license. It simply isn't.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Horka

by Horka » Post

Ok thank you i will take a look and think about it
Thank you for your answers
in the meantime if you want to try the mod and give me your opinion it will be very nice
:)
here is the link to content db:
https://content.minetest.net/packages/C ... es_1024px/
And to the forum, for more informations
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29106

Horka

by Horka » Post

Horka wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 20:57
Ok thank you i will take a look and think about it
Thank you for your answers
in the meantime if you want to try the mod and give me your opinion it will be very nice
:)
here is the link to content db:
https://content.minetest.net/packages/C ... es_1024px/
And to the forum, for more informations
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29106
Hello thank you all for your help, it helped me to understand better.
If you are interested, I have opted for an EUPL license, after personal reflection.
And I won't change my mind.
Thanks

Horka

by Horka » Post

Hello everyone.
What code can I use (in my texture pack) so that we can switch between two different textures from the inventory (for the inventory itself).
Thanks !

RobotZombieWizGirl

Sorry, not possible. Texture pack can't contain code. The most powerful thing they have is "overrides", which allow you to change e.g. the wield image of a node but not its' tiles.

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Minecraft texture packs are often distributed with a 'customiser' application that lets you choose between different texture options. That's probably how I would approach it without needing a lot of mod code.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 06:55
Minecraft texture packs are often distributed with a 'customiser' application that lets you choose between different texture options. That's probably how I would approach it without needing a lot of mod code.

OK thanks.
Now, in a mod is it possible to change the shape of all blocks by default ?
(without creating new ones)

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 15:00
Blockhead wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 06:55

OK thanks.
Now, in a mod is it possible to change the shape of all blocks by default ?
(without creating new ones)
It is not possible to change defaults, or at least not in a useful way. You see, all mods would have to depend on the mod that loads and changes the engine code, and there's no way you're going to make that happen.

This best you can do is override everything built into a certain game/mod, or override all the loaded blocks. The important function here is minetest.overide_item. Note: Items = {nodes, crafitems, tools}.

For example, to apply the brighten effect to all registered nodes:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_on_mods_loaded(function()
	for node, def in pairs(minetest.registered_nodes) do
		newdef = table.copy(def)
		for idx, tile in ipairs(newdef.tiles) do
			newdef.tiles[idx] = tile .. "^[brighten"
		end
		minetest.override_item(node, newdef)
	end
end)

All code is provided as-is and untested.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Ok thanks, so if I create a mod with 3d blocks (obj) that I created myself. Can I say replace the base block (obj) with the one I created?
Oh yes too. If the block I created is no longer cubic, is there another way to apply the textures? For example directly in the obj file?
To have a rendering close to this image, in thé game:

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:33
Ok thanks, so if I create a mod with 3d blocks (obj) that I created myself. Can I say replace the base block (obj) with the one I created?
Oh yes too. If the block I created is no longer cubic, is there another way to apply the textures? For example directly in the obj file?
To have a rendering close to this image, in thé game:
Yes, you can override any node property of the node definition, including setting the drawtype to mesh. The tiles entries for the mesh drawtype match the materials data from the model file i.e. the materials you use in Blender. In code it might look something like this:

Code: Select all

minetest.override_item("default:brick", {
	drawtype = "mesh",
	tiles = {"default_brick_1024.png"},
	mesh = "phototextures_brick.obj",
})
You would provide the files in the models/ and textures/ directories of the mod.

Just so you are aware though, that brick texture example image looks like it is using a technique called "bump mapping" where a special texture is used to apply the illusion of depth to a usually-flat 3D surface. This is much cheaper graphically than adding a lot of fine detail to the 3D geometry. Bump mapping is not available in Minetest - there used to be a poor implementation some time ago but it was removed because it was not really using a separate bump map texture but an algorithm to generate fake bump maps based on an edge detection algorithm.