improvement that Minetest and its community needs

singyan

improvement that Minetest and its community needs

by singyan » Post

I am very aware that Minetest is not intended to be a competitor to Minecraft. In fact, Minetest's official website is very suitable and has potential: "An open source voxel game engine. Play one of our many games, mod a game to your liking, make your own game, or play on a multiplayer server." However, its main users are busy copying Minecraft's game experience. It can only be said that the development team did not guide enough. It shouldn't set itself up as a clone of Minecraft Survival, but an engine for making 3D pixel games. Users should not be busy doing cleanroom implementations of redstone and Ender Dragon, but gamemodes that are impossible/costly to implement in Minecraft: such as FPS (one of the examples:Ace of Spades), or a low-definition first-person view The version of LOL is also fine. Nothing can replace Minecraft, even if there is another phenomenal Minecraft-like game, it will definitely play very differently from it.Also, Minetest should work hard on performance optimization, otherwise it can't really attract players who are looking for alternatives to Minecraft because of its poor performance (such as me.

It is also very important that the details of minetest are not polished enough, revealing a serious sense of cheapness. A comparison shows that minetest's material, animation, UI, and operation feel are not as good as Minecraft, which directly leads to a decline in players' interest in playing. Some examples are given below.The main interface of minetest is simple, and the operation logic is chaotic. Compared with the main interface of Minecraft, it is concise but not simple, and the logic is clear. The option setting interface of minetest is simple and simple, it is completely copying the structure of the configuration file, adjusting the mouse sensitivity is to manually enter the value, and it cannot be adjusted in the game. Minetest's default texture is hard to describe, but it's definitely not good. Minecraft's default texture is not gorgeous, but at least it doesn't look ugly at first glance. The hand of the minetest character is suspended in the air during the action, that is, the arm does not extend to the edge of the screen, which violates the harmony. The inertia of minetest players is strange and unnatural when moving. The above are only some examples of the roughness of minetest. It is a large number of failures in these details that make playing minetest uncomfortable, especially for players who have played Minecraft. The Minecraft player base is obviously the largest potential player base for minetest. If only minetest could be implemented as open source while maintaining the same or similar level of detail as Minecraft. It will definitely not be as unpopular as it is now.

P.S.I'm a high school student from China MainLand so I use Google Translate to write this passage, I've tried to avoid grammatical errors and unclear meanings, but there may still be problems, if you find strange sentences or something, Please try to understand, thank you very much!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: improvement that Minetest and its community needs

by Lone_Wolf » Post

We are aware of everything you're complaining about. But I don't think you've spent enough time in the community to be able to understand what the developer's biggest focus can or should be, or what the most important problems are.

There are a lot of other posts like yours on these forums. I'd recommend looking for them and reading through the answers if possible.
Here's the most recent one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29126
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

With the amount of feedback that has been coming in recently, it would be good if there were some site or system for letting people vote on issues for Minetest; some kind of feedback site. The best approximation we might have now is to give thumbs up to issues on GitHub. Of course, what the people want isn't always the best thing, and such a system may be abused with sockpuppets and so on. But it's worth thinking about.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

nocturnalwizard
GitHub: nocturnalwizard
In-game: nocwiz

by nocturnalwizard » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 02:39
Here's the most recent one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29126
Bucket List
Achieve notoriety