Issue setting up Linux server [solved]

SamT
In-game: UelSam

Issue setting up Linux server [solved]

by SamT » Post

Hello! I have a chromebook and use the Debian 11 (bullseye) container on it. I downloaded the package minetestserver and setup a server as seen in this image:

However, I'm not sure how to get others to connect to it. It says the port is 0.0.0.0 which is confusing. I tried using my IP to connect, but it still doesn't work, and I keep getting "Connection timed out." Can someone point me to what I'm doing wrong? Sorry, I'm just a beginner at this.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by SamT on Wed Feb 15, 2023 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

Re: Issue setting up Linux server

by ROllerozxa » Post

I'm assuming you want another computer to access it? The Chrome OS Linux environment is a fully isolated container that has its own networking, so you will have to port forward it in the Linux container settings: https://chromeos.dev/en/web-environment/port-forwarding

After that it should be accessible on your Chromebook's internal IP (check the Wi-Fi settings), and if you want it to be accessible from the outside wider internet and not just from LAN you'll have to port forward in your router as well.

SamT

by SamT » Post

Thanks @ROllerozxa for the response. I setup port forwarding with the port 30000 (I tried both UDP and TCP) and started the minetest server again. I then got the private WiFi IP address from the Network settings. I then opened up Minetest on my same computer that was running the Linux server, and tried to connect using the port 30000 and the address. However, I still got the "Connection timed out" error. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I really appreciate any help.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

the the server is listening to '0.0.0.0' is ok, as it means all addresses available,
but you can't uses this 0.0.0.0 as a destination address from another system (host, other PC or else)

you need to know what IP addresses ARE really available in the container IF there are some.

To what address you made a port forward even ? (from my idea that must have been on the container host, allow to contact to container)

What address are you using then in host Client to connect to the server (sure 0.0.0.0 will not work I think)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

SamT

by SamT » Post

Hi Festus1965, I'm using my network address that ROllerozxa said to use, e.g. 10.0.0... Should I use a different address, like my public IPv4 or something else?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

as long you are inside your OWN network at home with server AND gamer no need for the public IP,
as then you need even to make a port forwarding in the router to the ip of server

the easiest fast test about ip is to ping them from terminal
when a client should be able to reach a server (if other PC or a VM whatever)
a 'ping 10.0.0.x' should work and deliver a response with ttl or tell no connection.

So if ping doesn't work, mt will also not get through normal.
Also test the ping other direction : from container to your client PCs IP guess most 192.168.x.x

I never used container, and play with VM is long time ago, as a used 2nd hand PC ist cheaper and easier to handle as server in the house.

check if the container might have a own automatic active firewall ... ufw, that blocks traffic.
need some check try to open 'ufw --help' maybe or reading.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)