Server LAG, slow server response

juno

Server LAG, slow server response

by juno » Post

Hi,
i installed a small Minetest home server for my family (3 - 5 players)
First I tried a Linux container (LXC) but the performance was really bad. So I followed celeron55's server performance settings thread but to no success.
Then i created a debian VM, installed minetest and again used the hints from celeron55. but it's really hard to play on my server.

Anytime, even if I'm playing alone on the server, when I open a door or a chest it takes up to 5 seconds until its open. Sometimes the doors chests opens immediately, but most of the time it is delayed larger then 2secs.

The vm now has 4 cores and 4 gigs of ram.
My ping is about 2 ms (wired local network), minetest runs fine on other servers. What could be the primary bottleneck?
would a ssd on the server make it faster?

thanks

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Server LAG, slow server response

by Festus1965 » Post

as you write 2ms rtt ? show clear, it is not the network,
as long you get same result also by 'ping server-ip'

4 cores sounds nice, but what GHz,
and 4 GB RAM is very less as the VM system itself consumes some also ? real RAM ? from the real host system RAM ?
I hope NOT virtual RAM like Swapfile ! as that is then slow like a disc - and RAM IO can be tested to compare from real server, to VM or container then.

when server is running, and your connected via client, just do /status, and see the max_lag value,
that if empty server and ONLY MTG should be most at 200ms,
as you did not mention if you also installed and activated (too much hard lag impact) mods

how is the result of htop insight the VM or other options system show % CPU for the most 2 main minetest server Threads ?

The disc might be a problem, if you even need long time to see any part of map like the door loading, but it is there and just the door itself is slow to act on a change of open/close - that points more direction mt server itself need long time to react on your 'orders' clicking the door.

Anyway, for an internal family mt server, you don't need to use container or VM - as both systems need also their own CPU time - just mt server as terminal works fine, and there should be now thread for the system itself. Own experience since years
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

juno

by juno » Post

thanks for your answer,

you're right, some more information about the server is helpful:
- CPU: 1.5GHz
- RAM: 4GB ram only for this vm (no Swapfile, no ballooning )
- MODS: mineclone 2
i also tested it by running only this vm, while stopping all others

sorry, but for now i have to go to sleep, I'll post the performance data again tomorrow

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

juno wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 23:30
- CPU: 1.5GHz
- RAM: 4GB ram only for this vm (no Swapfile, no ballooning )
- MODS: mineclone 2
CPU : very less, jsut remember My 3.4 GHz is up to 30% often, most near 20 or less - so double this % might go your CPUs direction
RAM : also very less : check here with free -M without starting mt server to see how much before, and then after start
mineclone 2 is no mod : that is a full game-set (but yes - containing a collection of mods) - would be easy to check if can start server without game, like with just the dev game or similar to see the impact seperate mt server and then plus game
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Moved to 'Problems'.
This is a cool signature. :)