Cannot connect to Docker minetest server

z-vap

Cannot connect to Docker minetest server

by z-vap » Post

Good day. I wanted to start up a server so my family could all connect to the same minetest world. First thing I thought of was to locate a docker container so I could run it on my omv nas. I've used linuxserver.io before so I checked and saw https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/minetest so that's great. I used the same CLI_ARGS as listed in their page.

At the getgo I was having trouble getting the process to start; it kept repeating the same message about "Allowed options:" with 23 different switches.

Code: Select all

Allowed options:
  --color <value>             Coloured logs ('always', 'never' or 'auto'), defaults to 'auto'
  --config <value>            Load configuration from specified file
  --gameid <value>            Set gameid ("--gameid list" prints available ones)
  --help                      Show allowed options
  --info                      Print more information to console
  --logfile <value>           Set logfile path ('' = no logging)
  --map-dir <value>           Same as --world (deprecated)
  --migrate <value>           Migrate from current map backend to another (Only works when using minetestserver or with --server)
  --migrate-auth <value>      Migrate from current auth backend to another (Only works when using minetestserver or with --server)
  --migrate-mod-storage <value>Migrate from current mod storage backend to another (Only works when using minetestserver or with --server)
  --migrate-players <value>   Migrate from current players backend to another (Only works when using minetestserver or with --server)
  --port <value>              Set network port (UDP)
  --quiet                     Print to console errors only
  --recompress                Recompress the blocks of the given map database.
  --run-benchmarks            Run the benchmarks and exit
  --run-unittests             Run the unit tests and exit
  --terminal                  Feature an interactive terminal (Only works when using minetestserver or with --server)
  --trace                     Print enormous amounts of information to log and console
  --verbose                   Print even more information to console
  --version                   Show version information
  --world <value>             Set world path (implies local game if used with option --go)
  --worldlist <value>         Get list of worlds ('path' lists paths, 'name' lists names, 'both' lists both)
  --worldname <value>         Set world by name (implies local game if used with option --go)
It did populate the defaults minetest and devtest games, and started to create part of a default "world", but that was it.

I followed a tutorial on youtube that recommended building the world on a local computer and them migrating it to the server, which I did, and that allowed the process to stay started. However it does not allow me to connect to the server remotely. The remote [Join a Game] panel shows the IP of my server but it does not show the server description. If I double click on it, it gives me a connection timed out.

Any thoughts on what may be the problem?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Cannot connect to Docker minetest server

by Festus1965 » Post

as long you don't get the server started, as you write it repeats telling missing one of 23 allowed options, in my option there IS NO running server,
until you can see in the terminal that minetet logo and telling minetest server is listening on 0.0.0.0 and port 3xxxx

everything further like try to connect is useless than

maybe first do a just normal main server (not dogger, not virtual server) on your own PC and see the main messages and able to connect, to learn an realize the easy way and the needed messages to be sure every step worked
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

z-vap

by z-vap » Post

Thanks. Turns out there is something with the age of my hardware, and the Alpine Linux 3.15 build, which is causing the server to crash.

I see that there are 'official' builds here. but for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out how to pull them using Docker.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/#docker

Every attempt fails to retrieve the container

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Moved to 'Problems'.
This is a cool signature. :)