FPS drops in Minetest 5.7.0

lemonzest
IRC: lemonzest
In-game: lemonzest

FPS drops in Minetest 5.7.0

by lemonzest » Post

I am finding I am having issues also with FPS with Minetest 5.7.0 and Mineclone2 0.83 but in the other direction, I can be playing fine at 60fps (Vsync Locked) and it suddenly drops into the 20-40s and then stays there for no apparent reason, and I don't think it's specs??

Host system:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (@ 3.9Ghz - 4.7Ghz Boost)
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT (8GB)
48GB DDR4 2933Mhz RAM

Game Resolution 2560x1440p Window (Main Monitor is 4K) I tried it at 4K and not really much change

Server:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (@ 3.6Ghz)
AMD Radeon RX 580 (Unused)
32GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

I can also copy the Server install to the host machine and still get the same drops so I don't think it's the server not being modern?

Both Systems are running Fedora Linux 38 with the Mesa OpenGL Drivers, same host system can run Minecraft at 4K with a ton of mods at constant 60fps (Vsync'd) :| this lag has been going on for a few months now.

Minetest is currently the flatpak version tho this also happens with the RPM native version.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: FPS maxing at only 120

by Festus1965 » Post

fps is basically a problem of the client, and the options and settings around the game and graphics-card

when fps drop there is a lot to calculate and show : view-distance, fog-distance and also from the position you are, like in a house with now window it is easy to create that view, on a hill with good view the GPS got more to do

I just tried full shadow and directly fell at same position from fps 60 to 30, beside the GPU took 50 Watt more electric.

So for your test, test if on at least 2 locations, like mining = with now any view over 16 nodes, and somewhere with a nice view, and checnge only one setting between tests to be sure which on made your day (bad).
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

lemonzest

Re: FPS maxing at only 120

by lemonzest » Post

Thanks for the ELI5 on how games work, I've been gaming around 30 years

I've tried all the usual suspects different view distances, fog, resolutions, no shadows etc and they don't seem to make much difference, I can run up and down the same stretch of land for a few dozen times perfectly fine, then the fps will tank in exactly the same place where's before it had not, maybe something is loading in the background or some surfaces not being culled? game seems very CPU bound but even so I don't understand how a pretty ok system can have such poor performance, ain't this game pretty much designed around potatoes? maybe I have something misconfigured somehow, I'll wipe out my settings and start from scratch.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: FPS drops in Minetest 5.7.0

by rubenwardy » Post

lemonzest wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 02:57
this lag has been going on for a few months now..
Does this mean that it started before 5.7.0?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

lemonzest

by lemonzest » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 09:51
lemonzest wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 02:57
this lag has been going on for a few months now..
Does this mean that it started before 5.7.0?
Yes, dunno when it started been like it since I started playing, since around 5.5, just wiped out my settings and configured from scratch, same issues as before

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I would start with mods.

Mobs. Is a particular area heavy with mobs, or other entities? I find, with my heavy mod soup load that once the newest version had generated both the actual map, and the client has rendered all the blocks as meshes, that FPS is great. Until I move to far, and the client has to rerender meshes or something.

That being said, if this exists across versions, is replicatable in a very specific area of the map, and across installs, this has to be a world issue, not an engine thing. Something in that area of the map causes lag. Nothing else could account for the consistency. Go to that area, and use some of the dev mods to get more detailed info about what is in that location.

Shad

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I had that type of symptom some time ago; that was caused by mobs. They were spawning (and rarely despawning because of a bug) in some shallow underground cavern. After a while they were dozens of them.

The way to check for that is to activate debug wire frame display and look around; with this debug mode, you can see through mobs through walls.
My game? It's Minefall.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Switch the 'enable_far_mobs' setting to True when using Mobs Redo, it removes any mobs from unloaded map areas to stop this behaviour.

lemonzest

by lemonzest » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 13:47
Switch the 'enable_far_mobs' setting to True when using Mobs Redo, it removes any mobs from unloaded map areas to stop this behaviour.
I am using Mineclone2

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@lemonzest - In that case since MineClone2 mobs are based on Mobs Redo, that setting is already true by default :)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Is it possible to play on that server for a test, mean we both same position, same looking direction, compare FPS, then walk same way, compare again ?
AS we should get same data when stand same position, then my fps should drop also if it is server or map based - if not, then client based.

later:
I read the first post again.

To play the same server from same host as server will only eliminate transfer time rtt and maybe not use another failure on the host.

Did other gamer have the change to test the same server and position to compare ?

Do you have another PC that you can use to play on the server and maybe use a default system, default mt installation ... older PC, maybe the server itself ?, a laptop ?

What is the max Hz the main used monitor has ? guess sure min 60 Hz but sounds more like 144 already. Can you see the actual Hz setting during gaming to be aware if the Monitor is 'changing' setting ?

Can you run a PC, CPU and GPU monitoring page during gaming ? Is there a spike or something change when you reach the position where the drop happen ?

Is there media in the game, music or set an external data server for minetest ?
Or is it a special position and there is something build that seam to start then ?

The server and mods could be tested with an /profiler enable and take an export to see if a mod is making something strange - hard working ?
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

lemonzest

by lemonzest » Post

I did the tweaks listed in this post

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29266

And now my FPS is much much better, no drops below 55, most of the time around 80s/90s!! at 2560x1440 with medium shadows selected

Suppose I can close this now :)

Edit: Tried it again in fullscreen 4K and similar performance