Installing latest server

alif

Installing latest server

by alif » Post

Hallo,

I hope this is the right place for technical question, because I have one:

The Ubuntu 22.04 repo has version 5.4.1+repack-2build1 of both client and server.

The developers' repo seems to have version 5.7.0-ppa0~ubuntu22.04.1, but not the minetest-server package.

While it is possible to run `minetest --server`, the minetest client package depends on many packages that are not necessary for a server.

Is compilation the only viable path, then?

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

Re: Installing latest server

by L-Dog » Post

alif wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:56
Hallo,

The Ubuntu 22.04 repo has version 5.4.1+repack-2build1 of both client and server.

The developers' repo seems to have version 5.7.0-ppa0~ubuntu22.04.1, but not the minetest-server package.

While it is possible to run `minetest --server`, the minetest client package depends on many packages that are not necessary for a server.

follow the minetest wiki on how to compile it in latest version https://wiki.minetest.net/Setting_up_a_server

Personally, minetest-server never worked for me, was too confusing to operate from noob-level.

i just use Minetest and then run it headless with '' minetest --server /<PATH_TO_WORLD>'' .. it runs fine, i tried minetest-server at the start but i couldnt get it to run

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

alif wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:56
Hallo,

oh... i forgot.. '' sudo apt-add' add minetest PPA, thats how i got 5.7, my software manger only offered 5.6 . (microscopic difference). ''apt-add'' never works well for me either

alif

by alif » Post

Thanks for the advice, L-Dog.

I had successfully compiled it while I was waiting for responses.

However, I ended up downloading and installing the packages of 5.6.1 manually from [Lunar's repository](https://packages.ubuntu.com/lunar/minetest-server).

For that to work, both libzstd1 and libgmp10 from that repo need to be installed as well, which should be harmless to a 22.04 system.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Compilation is probably the best option, but to compile only the server you need to use various CMake flags that exclude all the graphical stuff, so at least -DBUILD_CLIENT=FALSE -DBUILD_SERVER=TRUE I think. Also, the Minetest project doesn't provide the systemd unit files that ship with minetest-server packages from Debian-family distros, but you can add those relatively easily yourself.

For what it's worth, I tried merging upstream minetest into Debian's downstream Minetest repo on salsa, and got a "refusing to merge unrelated histories", not to mention a heap of potential merge conflicts. I don't know how they merge upstream themselves, and it seems not worth poking into if you're not maintaining for a distribution yourself. That would get you slightly better integration like the aforementioned minetest-server system unit.
Spoiler
By the way, this was my 1000th post on the forums.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Moved to 'Problems'.
This is a cool signature. :)