How can i protect the spawn and disable pvp?

Kryuko

How can i protect the spawn and disable pvp?

by Kryuko » Post

Same as the title.
How can i protect some areas of the spawn and able the users to only interact with objects? And how can i disable pvp in some areas?

Thanks in advance! :)

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

For protecting arbitrary zones, try this or this.
To disable PVP, you can disable damage in your server.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Kryuko

by Kryuko » Post

kaeza wrote:For protecting arbitrary zones, try this or this.
To disable PVP, you can disable damage in your server.
I can't disable PvP only in protected areas?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

For that you'll have to create a mod yourself. I don't think there's one already, but I may be wrong.
If you can, join us on IRC on #minetest at freenode and ask around.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Kryuko

by Kryuko » Post

kaeza wrote:For that you'll have to create a mod yourself. I don't think there's one already, but I may be wrong.
If you can, join us on IRC on #minetest at freenode and ask around.
Unfortunately i'm not able to programing.

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

than tragic. We can see that there are so essential mods still to come!
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

WebWolf

Re: How can i protect the spawn and disable pvp?

by WebWolf » Post

a Mod to disable PVP in a specific area only
Trying to figure out the possibility to remove the "interact/build" privilege in that specific area (that specific protected area) which is protected by an already existent Mod made for protecting land.
In other words, a player will not be able to build or destroy in that area (the Spawn; or any other area the Admin in the server decides to create). Also, without interact privilege in that area, the player will not be able to hurt or kill another player; and he will not be hurted or killed (no damage taken) by other player too. For practical and final effects, it is like PVP is disabled in that area only. :)

The above solution would be a partially good advance (in getting a way to protect the spawn and disable pvp). However, there is a little problem if the Spawn has a kind of trading machine/chest or a way where players can exchange or buy/sell items using the ingame currency (coins, gold, whatever). If the player has not "interact" privilege in that specific area, he (theorically, I'm not sure about it) is not able to use the chest for exchanging items.
Maybe this second situation could be solved by using a Mod developed for exchanging items in game, and by changing its code a little to allow the interact privilege (for the chest Mod, not the area as a whole) in that area only.

Well, just throwing my recent ideas (maybe 50% or 90% of the problem solved).
Anyway, this workaround is not a new Mod able to protect an area and disable spawn in that area.

Just my 2 cents in ideas. :)

Regards,
WebWolf

P.S.: Anyway, I don't have knowledge to create a so useful Mod like this at this moment. Please, maybe some good soul (the people who created Mods here and are very skilled in the "code") is able to create this Mod.
Any holly Mod creator? :)
(something like "player->getPosition()" or " if (player->hp ~= 0)"; not sure about the right words/functions/variables, just a mix based on some old talks in irc)

P.P.S.: I visited/played in many servers where PVP is enabled and this problem (players killing/dying in Spawn area) is a common and sad thing. And in the more recent days, I have seen servers with 20, 40, 50 and (yes) 60 players online: the Spawn area (with the server using bones mod, for example) seems to be scary, with lots and lots of bones (a very frightening and creepy place in the map; besides the extra work admins have to do in order to remove the nodes or bones frequently).