Iron?

neko259

Iron?

by neko259 » Post

I can't find any iron since 0.4. I've searched over an hour and walked throw the map and the caves and found only 1 iron block. Before 0.4 it was very common.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

Might just be that map/world. If you don't need that world delete it and create another. I haven't specifically looked for iron on 0.4 yet but I've seen maps on 0.3 that you had to go deep to find any.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I've tried to go very deep with free move. There's nothing but lava, coal and dungeon masters there.

xorik

by xorik » Post

I can confirm, can't find any iron on new map in last commits

xorik

by xorik » Post

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

Just tried it on a brand new world. Iron might be rarer than it was, I haven't tested that, but it definitely still exists. Even above sea level. Try fixed_map_seed = 3466114428692010540 and go to X = 64, Y = 8, Z = 200, there is iron below the arch.
Last edited by kahrl on Mon Dec 05, 2011 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

Yeah the same with me :/ I was so pissed :(
I love mods :D

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Post

MESE is more common than iron is =/ I found 4 iron, 40 MESE =/

Edit: Found 3 more Iron, and 50 MESE.

Edit2: Tip: If you find 2 or more iron, start clearing around them. On that 3 I just found above, found another 6 under stone
Last edited by Gatharoth on Thu Dec 22, 2011 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

bwog

by bwog » Post

Gatharoth wrote:MESE is more common than iron is =/ I found 4 iron, 40 MESE =/

Edit: Found 3 more Iron, and 50 MESE.

Edit2: Tip: If you find 2 or more iron, start clearing around them. On that 3 I just found above, found another 6 under stone
I've also noticed MESE being more common then iron. Definitely needs to be fixed.

mcburgerbob

by mcburgerbob » Post

On my first day i found alot of iron lol
MY CAKE!

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

On the second day. I was too lazy and used /giveme command :)
I love mods :D

xorik

by xorik » Post

mcburgerbob wrote:On my first day i found alot of iron lol
Try to compile or get latest version of minetest and delete map

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Post

I compiled lastest version and still can't find any :/ (using a new map)
:D

Hackeridze

by Hackeridze » Post

Maybe add Iron generation in moreores?
My game: RTMG
GENTOO USER

zoup

by zoup » Post

Hi,

I greet you all with my first post! With big thanks to c55 and all contributors for this great project :)

I have seen there have been two approaches to deal with the iron problem, they do not seem to work for me though. How does it turn out for the rest of you?

I am quite unexpierienced with git and I installed via archlinux's user repositories which is giving me the install script for a 0.4.dev-20120122-1 build. Please excuse if I got this wrong: The patch should be included that way already, or am I wrong?

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

zoup wrote:Hi,

I greet you all with my first post! With big thanks to c55 and all contributors for this great project :)

I have seen there have been two approaches to deal with the iron problem, they do not seem to work for me though. How does it turn out for the rest of you?

I am quite unexpierienced with git and I installed via archlinux's user repositories which is giving me the install script for a 0.4.dev-20120122-1 build. Please excuse if I got this wrong: The patch should be included that way already, or am I wrong?
Hi zoup,

Welcome to the Minetest forums ^_^

The patch that fixed Iron being too rare was indeed in the build your using so I'm not too sure why your having a problem finding some how far down are you digging? because for me at around about 15/20 blocks down its quite common to find Iron and obviously the further down you go the more Iron you will find.

Iron can also be found quite often amongst coal so if you see some coal have a dig around chances are you will also find a couple blocks of iron too.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

I have actually seen a good bit of iron on the map that MrTheBuilder made his LoZ Temple of Time on

zoup

by zoup » Post

dannydark wrote: how far down are you digging? because for me at around about 15/20 blocks down its quite common to find Iron and obviously the further down you go the more Iron you will find.
I've been digging more than 100 blocks down and looking around in caves there :-/
dannydark wrote: Iron can also be found quite often amongst coal so if you see some coal have a dig around chances are you will also find a couple blocks of iron too.
I just ran a comparison between this version and 0.3.1 again and digging with a wooden pickaxe resulted in 6 lumps of iron within less than 5 minutes, not many blocks deep.

With the new build i've been searching more than 5 minutes with a mese pickaxe at lower than -60 and found more than 100 lumps of coal and no iron whatsoever ^^ Even coal seems to have become a little less...

If this problem seems to have been solved for others, I'll just generate maps with 0.3.1 for now and wait for the next release, maybe it will be solved by itself :)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Iron density was fixed after the itemdef update.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

hmmm well I think the bug might still exist, on my local world iron is very common, however, I'm playing on jordan4ibanez's server at the moment and I've been looking for Iron for about the last 30mins or so and have only found 2 blocks (I even had a quick fly around in free move -600 blocks deep and could see lots of mese and coal but naff all iron).

Maybe I was just lucky to get a seed with lots of iron on my single player world.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

dannydark wrote:hmmm well I think the bug might still exist, on my local world iron is very common, however, I'm playing on jordan4ibanez's server at the moment and I've been looking for Iron for about the last 30mins or so and have only found 2 blocks (I even had a quick fly around in free move -600 blocks deep and could see lots of mese and coal but naff all iron).

Maybe I was just lucky to get a seed with lots of iron on my single player world.
What version does jordan4ibanez have? Did you search on a new map (created after the update) or on the old areas?

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@neko259 as far as I know he is using the latest git and yeh brand new map as the other one ended up being corrupted after jordan4ibanez decided to play with some nukes haha.

To be honest It may just be where I'm looking but on my single player world it wasn't this hard to find it ^_^

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Latest git seems to fix this bug... at least for me.

zoup

by zoup » Post

Maybe it's all just about expectations, so let's compare :D

In 0.3.1 I would only have to dig a small mine (max 10 blocks deep and a room of 7x7x7 to find enough iron ore to make steel tools for continuing the mine.

In 0.4-dev-20120122-1 I can dig a mine like this:
[img=http://ompldr.org/vY2lpdA]http://ompldr.org/tY2lpdA[/img]

and what I get from it are 7 lumps of iron which makes me so happy I turn them into a sword which I keep in a locked chest :D (The depth of the mine is less than -30 but if I go to -400 it's virtually the same. The only difference is that there is mese)

Considering this mine, is it normal that I find that few?

I tried recreating the world several times, too, as well as deleting any remaining config and other files and reinstalling.
This is kray's build script for archlinux: PKGBUILD
The pkgver variable suggests an older git commit but it pulls the newest one.

rahonejm

by rahonejm » Post

+1. I've made almost a full castle with cobble, a farm complete with fences, torches everywhere, mese, and only 7 iron :(
Sorry for possible language mistakes