mod error fail to run

winaster

mod error fail to run

by winaster » Post

VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: Failed to load and run C:\minetest\minetest-0.4.5\minetest-0.4.5\bin\..\mods\minetest\Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890\init.lua

I cant figure out how to get multiple results from search so here it is

it wont work when I try to run it. I also get this kind of error with my other mods too. also just got minetest and mod today as of 3/31/2013
Last edited by winaster on Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Try renaming Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890 to just 'mesecons'
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Apr 01, 2013 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The name of the folder doesn't matter in this case, as mesecons is technically a modpack. Can you post the complete error message? It should tell you what line the error occurred in, and what type of error it was.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

If it knew it was a modpack, it probably wouldn't be trying to run "init.lua" in its directory. I'm betting that the "modpack.txt" file was missing, deleted, renamed, or something like that. You might want to create that file under that "Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890" directory and see if it fixes things. The file should be empty and have that exact name (so make sure Windows' hiding of file extensions doesn't result in either a file named "modpack" or "modpack.txt.txt").

winaster

by winaster » Post

prestidigitator wrote:If it knew it was a modpack, it probably wouldn't be trying to run "init.lua" in its directory. I'm betting that the "modpack.txt" file was missing, deleted, renamed, or something like that. You might want to create that file under that "Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890" directory and see if it fixes things. The file should be empty and have that exact name (so make sure Windows' hiding of file extensions doesn't result in either a file named "modpack" or "modpack.txt.txt").
as to this it seems to have what you say it should and it named modpack and inside it says The presence of this file indicates that the current folder is a modpack. and it a txt file
but as to
VanessaE wrote:The name of the folder doesn't matter in this case, as mesecons is technically a modpack. Can you post the complete error message? It should tell you what line the error occurred in, and what type of error it was.
how??
Last edited by winaster on Mon Apr 01, 2013 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

winaster

by winaster » Post

11:06:30: INFO[main]: [Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890] ["C:\minetest\minetest-0.4.5\minetest-0.4.5\bin\..\mods\minetest\Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890\init.lua"]
11:06:30: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
11:06:30: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run C:\minetest\minetest-0.4.5\minetest-0.4.5\bin\..\mods\minetest\Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890\init.lua

is this what you mean

sorry for so long following pilzadams instructions

I have no idea what I need sorry for the length.

[ Edited to shorten log output to just the error message we needed. --VanessaE ]
Last edited by VanessaE on Mon Apr 01, 2013 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

We need the lines surrounding that error, you should pastebin it so that you don't use so much forum space: [url]pastebin.ubuntu.com[/url].

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually he did get the one line we needed - it complains about invalid characters in the "mod name", which means Minetest thinks it's a mod, not a modpack. So either modpack.txt is missing as prestidigitator suggested, or the modpack was not properly extracted.

Check the contents of the "Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-20130211-44-g2cc3890" folder, tell us what is in there either by posting a directory listing of it, or a screenshot showing what your file manager thinks is there when you double click on it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

winaster

by winaster » Post

cant post image how to directory list??????

winaster

by winaster » Post

how do I do a directory list?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

winaster wrote:how do I do a directory list?
Go to the directory/folder, click full screen and the press the "prt sc" key

Use omploader (ompldr), dropbox or another site that allows you to upload the screenshot/print screen image.

Copy the link in a post on this forum. Put it between[img]and[/img].

Example: [img]://dl.dropbox.com/number_1600x900_scrot.png[/img]

winaster

by winaster » Post

this is link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mscfhgcp9ul2w ... folder.jpg
sorry could not figure out how to use image thing.
Last edited by winaster on Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

winaster wrote:this is link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mscfhgcp9ul2w ... folder.jpg
sorry could not figure out how to use image thing.
To post an image:

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/mscfhgcp9ul2w4e/minetest%20mescons%20folder.jpg[/img]
I notice there's two "mesecons" folders, one inside the other. I recommend renaming the outer one, moving the inner one out, then deleting the outer one.

Or, make sure the outer one contains modpack.txt (which will show up as "modpack" because your extensions are hidden).
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

I've been having a similar problem. All mods I try to run don't do anything. But I haven't seen any error messages
My username tells almost everything about me.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

BAGPIPE wrote:I've been having a similar problem. All mods I try to run don't do anything. But I haven't seen any error messages
Somewhere near the end of te 0.4.5 builds (I think) I noticed that the mods in mods/minetest didn't work anymore. I now place the mods in games/build/mods, but I guess you can also place them in the mods folder of common, minetest_game and survival (and some in minimal).

Edit: I saw in later posts I forgot to mention the mods folders (thanks Sokomine and Menche)
Last edited by Topywo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I've got the same problem and place mods (or rather: symlinks) into games/*/mods/ these days. It's a bit inconvenient when switching to a new build.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Mods go in mods/[game name]. If you install a mod to run in the "build" game, put it in mods/build. It was usually mods/minetest previously because "minetest" was the "official" game.
Last edited by Menche on Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

Topywo wrote:
BAGPIPE wrote:I've been having a similar problem. All mods I try to run don't do anything. But I haven't seen any error messages
Somewhere near the end of te 0.4.5 builds (I think) I noticed that the mods in mods/minetest didn't work anymore. I now place the mods in games/build/mods, but I guess you can also place them in the mods folder of common, minetest_game and survival (and some in minimal).

Edit: I saw in later posts I forgot to mention the mods folders (thanks Sokomine and Menche)
I tried putting a mod in Games/minimal/mods folder, of the folders that i found containing mods, this had the most and the ones I recognized(buckets).
This did not work
one of these days i'm going to try adding mods to 0.4.5

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

BAGPIPE wrote: I tried putting a mod in Games/minimal/mods folder, of the folders that i found containing mods, this had the most and the ones I recognized(buckets).
This did not work
one of these days i'm going to try adding mods to 0.4.5
1. After putting mods in your minimal/mods folder, did you create a world with minimal or maybe by mistake in build?
2. You do have games/common? Afaik the games/build and games/survival can use the mods in there.
3. Try putting one easy mod in games/build/mods - folder and then create a world as (build)

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

Got some mods to work, but others saying falier to load and run, going to try more things on the weekend.

Cheesus

by Cheesus » Post

I redownloaded 0.4.5 and added the same mods in but its no use. still says its unable to load init.lua :/ hopefully tye next update fixes this problem...

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Cheesus wrote:I redownloaded 0.4.5 and added the same mods in but its no use. still says its unable to load init.lua :/ hopefully tye next update fixes this problem...
Why not 0.4.6? (unofficial release)

I think if you downloaded the official 0.4.5 build, the mods need still to be placed in mods/minetest.

Later, unofficial releases of 0.4.5 introduced the common, build and survival games, causing the mods to be placed in games/build, games/survival etc..
BAGPIPE wrote:Got some mods to work, but others saying falier to load and run, going to try more things on the weekend.
Usual suspects:
- A folder needs to be renamed to the (low-case) name, used in the init.lua.
Example: VanessaE-homedecor-e5c99a3 --> rename --> homedecor

- Trying to use an older mod version or a not up to date mod version

- Use of an older version of minetest than the latest, unofficial

- Missing dependencies (look in the 1st post or check the depends.txt file

- Bugs in a mod

- Maybe other reasons I can't think of right now

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

Topywo wrote:
Cheesus wrote:I redownloaded 0.4.5 and added the same mods in but its no use. still says its unable to load init.lua :/ hopefully tye next update fixes this problem...
Why not 0.4.6? (unofficial release)

I think if you downloaded the official 0.4.5 build, the mods need still to be placed in mods/minetest.

Later, unofficial releases of 0.4.5 introduced the common, build and survival games, causing the mods to be placed in games/build, games/survival etc..
BAGPIPE wrote:Got some mods to work, but others saying falier to load and run, going to try more things on the weekend.
Usual suspects:
- A folder needs to be renamed to the (low-case) name, used in the init.lua.
Example: VanessaE-homedecor-e5c99a3 --> rename --> homedecor

- Trying to use an older mod version or a not up to date mod version

- Use of an older version of minetest than the latest, unofficial

- Missing dependencies (look in the 1st post or check the depends.txt file

- Bugs in a mod

- Maybe other reasons I can't think of right now
Ok, thanks, will try tonight

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

That worked, thanks for the help.

xXfrancoXx

by xXfrancoXx » Post

VanessaE wrote:The name of the folder doesn't matter in this case, as mesecons is technically a modpack. Can you post the complete error message? It should tell you what line the error occurred in, and what type of error it was.
can you give me permission to make pots in mod releases?, I get sorry, you are not allowed