Support of multiple cores

vktRus

Support of multiple cores

by vktRus » Post

I have a multi-core server. But minetestserver loads only one core.
Minetestserver does not support multi-core system?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Not really, Minetest rarely uses multiple cores. However, it's still a good thing to have multiple cores (at least 2), so that background tasks do not slow the Minetest server down.

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

I have 8 cores (HP :). But the server load at a time only one core. Sometimes >100%. This occurs when a player goes to the new territories.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

vktRus wrote:I have 8 cores (HP :). But the server load at a time only one core. Sometimes >100%. This occurs when a player goes to the new territories.
It's impossible to be over 100%
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

:)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Does this mean that Minetest only uses one core of a quad-core CPU? I never knew there was anything to keep a program from using more than one core of a CPU that has more than one core.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

vktRus wrote::)

weird...
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Inocudom wrote:Does this mean that Minetest only uses one core of a quad-core CPU? I never knew there was anything to keep a program from using more than one core of a CPU that has more than one core.
For a program to take advantage of multiple cores it has to be multi-threaded, otherwise all instructions for a program are executed on a single core. If minetest was multi threaded it would use mutliple cores but then things get complicated with interproccess communication and synchronization. (ie the mapgen thread has to talk to the thread that sends data to the users, etc...)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

That is a shame. That means that getting a better CPU won't always help you out.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

This article from the dev wiki describes the usage of threads in Minetest: http://dev.minetest.net/Engine_structure#Threads
Note that you can change some etting in minetest.conf to use more threads:

Code: Select all

# This specifies the number of threads used for world generation
num_emerge_threads = 1
# And this how many threads are used to download media from a server that uses cURL
media_fetch_threads = 8

vv221

by vv221 » Post

vktRus wrote::)

The value you see is here the sum of all of your cores.
It does mean the equivalent of 1.01 core is used, obviously from two cores. (probably 100% from the core running Minetest, and 0.01% from another core running background tasks)

12Me21 is right when he says it is impossible to use a core over 100%.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:This article from the dev wiki describes the usage of threads in Minetest: http://dev.minetest.net/Engine_structure#Threads
Note that you can change some etting in minetest.conf to use more threads:

num_emerge_threads = 1
# And this how many threads are used to download media from a server that uses cURL
media_fetch_threads = 8
The second setting if only for the client
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Does this mean that Minetest only uses one core of a quad-core CPU? I never knew there was anything to keep a program from using more than one core of a CPU that has more than one core.
For a program to take advantage of multiple cores it has to be multi-threaded, otherwise all instructions for a program are executed on a single core. If minetest was multi threaded it would use mutliple cores but then things get complicated with interproccess communication and synchronization. (ie the mapgen thread has to talk to the thread that sends data to the users, etc...)
You don't need IPC for threads, since threads share their memory with the main process
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

num_emerge_threads = 3
Does not help. When generating new locations load only on one core 100%.
Last edited by vktRus on Mon May 13, 2013 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

BrandonReese wrote:
Minetest IS multithreaded
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

tbillion

Re: Support of multiple cores

by tbillion » Post

all versions of minetest are multithreaded? or special compile? cuz i would love me some multithread if its not by default :)

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

tbillion wrote:all versions of minetest are multithreaded? or special compile? cuz i would love me some multithread if its not by default :)
the mods' thread is a single one, if you use more than one, it wouldn't be possible to e.g. override minetest.get_node directly in specific situations, e.g. exactly when minetest.set_node placed stone

l tried to make a scheduler mod. It maybe works for spawning lots of trees fairly at once:
https://github.com/HybridDog/function_delayer

l just tried the emerge threads setting, minetest used every cpu.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

est31
Developer

by est31 » Post

Parts of minetest are multithreaded, parts aren't.

First of all, minetest uses irrlicht, which uses either directx or opengl. This means that communication with the graphics card is only possible in one thread. I know that directx has seen some changes recently, but irrlicht doesn't support them, and its a large project overall to retrofit multithreading. I highly doubt we will ever see multi threaded gfx card communication in irrlicht.

minetest itself _is_ multithreaded. It has multiple mapgen threads, and it has separate client and server threads. Yes, that's not alot, and there are limitations, like no real multithreading for lua mapgen. Still, you don't do everything in only one thread.

tbillion

by tbillion » Post

lol some people talk worker threads others talk performance threads, as much as we wish it was this isnt a billion dollar corporation :) and we dont get paid to mod (well i dont :) so we shoudl be happy with what it is or go play on java, it will get better as time goes by.