Spinning rotation graphics

acb43

Spinning rotation graphics

by acb43 » Post

Greetings

My apologies if this is a common error, I did search and did not find any matches to the problem I am having.

So my issue is that once I have enter a world, single or multiplayer, I get this spinning rotation of the screen that doesn't stop. It make the game unplayable. With out touching any controls the spinning rotation just goes on endlessly.

Here is the debug console info:

Code: Select all

Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.0
 (Build 9200)
Using renderer: OpenGL 3.3.10061
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series   : ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
GLSL version: 3.3
Resizing window (800 600)
Loaded texture: C:/Program Files (x86)/minetest-0.4.7/minetest-0.4.7/games/minet
est_game/menu/header.png
Loaded texture: C:/Program Files (x86)/minetest-0.4.7/minetest-0.4.7/games/minet
est_game/menu/icon.png
Loaded texture: C:/Program Files (x86)/minetest-0.4.7/minetest-0.4.7/games/minim
al/menu/icon.png
22:05:17: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __
22:05:17: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_
22:05:17: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
22:05:17: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  |
22:05:17: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__|
22:05:17: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/
22:05:17: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\Program Files (x86)\minetest-0.4.7\minetest
-0.4.7\bin\..\worlds\Second World]
22:05:17: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on port 30011.
creative inventory size: 176
22:05:18: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: single
player
Could not open file of texture: character.png
Loaded mesh: character.x
PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Loaded texture: C:/Program Files (x86)/minetest-0.4.7/minetest-0.4.7/textures/ba
se/pack/sunrisebg.png
Font size: 8 17
Anyone experience a similar problem?

Thank you
Last edited by sfan5 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

i had this problem with another irrlicht based game, but i executed it on ubuntu in virtualbox. do you run it on a virtual machine?
maybe it helps to update the VM. :(

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

I had the same bug with my window manager (i3wm) and somethimes with LXDE, but it looks like using the fullscreen mode of the WM fixes the bug.

acb43

by acb43 » Post

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I also played around with multiple settings in the config file.

I tried what Nore said and went full screen and it worked! Thanks again!

For anyone else having the same issue here is what ended up working for me:

Code: Select all

fullscreen = true
screenW = 1920
screenH = 1080
vsync = true
video_driver = openGL

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yes i get this too in stable release 0.4.6 0ppa1 precise1 i386, minetest_game. A constant speed slow camera pan either vertical or horizontal, as soon as the game starts, without touching controls. For some reason it makes me feel very dizzy and ill when it happens, even though it is slow. it doesn't seem to create an error message though.
I discovered it was caused by me moving the game window around on the desktop before starting a game, so now i have to leave the window wherever it appears. I cannot use fullscreen because the FPS drops too low.
Anyone else?
Last edited by paramat on Mon Jun 10, 2013 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

paramat wrote:Yes i get this too in stable release 0.4.6 0ppa1 precise1 i386, minetest_game. A constant speed slow camera pan either vertical or horizontal, as soon as the game starts, without touching controls. For some reason it makes me feel very dizzy and ill when it happens, even though it is slow. it doesn't seem to create an error message though.
I discovered it was caused by me moving the game window around on the desktop before starting a game, so now i have to leave the window wherever it appears. I cannot use fullscreen because the FPS drops too low.
Anyone else?
You can use fullscreen with a reduced resolution (screenW and screenH settings in minetest.conf).

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thank you.
paramat wrote:Yes i get this too in stable release 0.4.6 0ppa1 precise1 i386, minetest_game.
Update. Just upgraded to 0.4.7 0ppa1 precise1 i386 minetest_game and same problem, perhaps it's something my end ...
Last edited by paramat on Sat Jun 15, 2013 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I run Lubuntu 13.04 under (the latest) VirtualBox on a Windows7 laptop (actually VB forced me to declare it as Ubuntu). When touching a move-key, the minetest world starts spinning. Changing the screen specs in minetest.conf doesn't work for me.

What works for me is disabling the mouse integration. Then I need to uncheck the enable 3d in the VB settings (otherwise the mousepointer doesn't show up in the minetestinventory) (which is not a big problem, since it doesn't work anyway).

I found part of the solution on internet some time ago, someone having the same problem with another game.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks for the suggestions.
In case it's useful info, i get the same problem if i use my laptop's touchpad while also having a mouse plugged in. So yeah looks like a problem on my end of things.

roku

by roku » Post

So if you have an option to hit ctrl "to show position of cursor" you'll find the cursor is off center slightly and that's why the screen rotates. Resizing the window in the direction that puts the cursor in the middle of the screen fixes the problem. This bug appears to be caused by the 3d engine not properly placing the mouse in the center. It is within the crosshair, so it's pretty close to being centered, but obviously not within an acceptable margin.

It is a bug in the software and should be brought to the attention of someone like PilzAdam, even if it needs to be reported up to irrlicht or whatever.

Normally you wouldn't play minetest with a touchpad but to get on temporarily (or as your only option) I think the game should play as expected.

On another note I thought it was always reproducible, even after restarting the game from a "fixed" state, but I was playing around with my window manager, restarting it a couple times, and the behavior is temporarily not reproducible. I assume a full restart would cause the bug to reappear.

The same bug can be found here: viewtopic.php?id=1267

Steps to reproduce:
Play minetest with a touchpad in windowed mode

Behavior:
The screen will rotate in one direction

Expected Behavior:
The mouse cursor should be in the middle of the screen and the screen should not rotate unless the mouse is moved.

Workaround:
Resizing the screen in the direction it is rotating will center the cursor and stop the screen from rotating.

Additional notes:
No mouse or touchpad related settings will fix the problem. I thought it might have something to do with "edge scrolling" or "disable touchpad while typing" but the position of the mouse remains unaffected regardless of which combination of options you select or deselect.