Regenerating Chunk(s)?

Moros

Regenerating Chunk(s)?

by Moros » Post

I was playing minetest with some friends today, and we came across what appears to be an interesting bug.

From the top of a mountain, we could see normal-looking terrain in front of us: just standard mountainous ground with trees. When we got closer, however, a section of the map in front of us appeared to change completely. The area used to be ground, but it was now a pit filled with water. It basically looked like the server generated normal terrain, but it then regenerated a section of the map and spliced it into the existing map. The result is best demonstrated with images:

[img=Img1]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8291/minetestregeneratedchun.jpg[/img]

[img=Img1]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8291/minetestregeneratedchun.jpg[/img]

You can pretty clearly see that this section does not look normal - especially when you look at how the trees/leaves are cut off.

skelbley

by skelbley » Post

Hi, all. I probably ought to introduce myself as well; I'm Moros' roommate. He's a CS major and I'm only a CS minor, but we both agree that this is a great project we'd love to get involved with. As well, my younger brother (a new CS major) has expressed interest in helping as well once he has gained a bit more knowledge. Anyways...

I observed this phenomenon as well, after Moros noticed it and pointed it out to me on his new map. We will gladly provide more information and/or pictures if they'd be of any help. As well, the small 1x4 peninsula you may see jutting out of the wall in the last picture was actually created to get a better view of the section, and not part of how it was generated.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

That's the way the generator generates stuff. Not a bug.

titformatt

by titformatt » Post

That's not a bug it's a feature! :P