Dark patches in water after clearing land with Worldedit

Tx_RushFan

Dark patches in water after clearing land with Worldedit

by Tx_RushFan » Post

I am trying to build a pier for future extremely large ships I will be building. When I clear land to make for more shoreline or to clear small islands I get dark patches of water and I'm not sure why or how to get rid of them. I did some searching for "dark water" and "dark patches in water" on here and google but didn't find an answer. Does anyone know how to fix this. If not I will have to just keep making new maps until I get one with a lot of water to fit my ships in.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Simply select the region in WorldEdit and do //fixlight
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

It says issued command: //fixlight but nothing happens. I still have the dark water as in almost black patches in the otherwise normal water around it.
Last edited by Tx_RushFan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:It says issued command: //fixlight but nothing happens. I still have the dark water as in almost black patches in the otherwise normal water around it.
It is supposed to say n nodes updated
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

It did once but nothing changed.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:It did once but nothing changed.
Are you sure you selected the whole region (including the air above the water)?

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

I just want to make a long shore line with lots of water as if on the coast so i can build a naval pier with ships. We are talking ships up to 360 cubes long.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:I just want to make a long shore line with lots of water as if on the coast so i can build a naval pier with ships. We are talking ships up to 360 cubes long.
If you want loads of water, use a water based map. Use water_level = "some number prolly 100" in minetest.conf
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Ah, kk thanks!

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:Ah, kk thanks!
Beware. You need to make a new world. Edit the .conf when minetest is not running else your changes will be overwritten
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

You may want to study this thread:
viewtopic.php?pid=111539#p111539

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

twoelk wrote:You may want to study this thread:
viewtopic.php?pid=111539#p111539
Sweet, thx.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Another way to reset lighting in WE is this: create a 1 node deep horizontal slab of stone that floats just above and completely covers the dark area, then //dig that slab. 'dig'ging takes longer than '//set air' but resets the lighting beneath.
Last edited by paramat on Thu Dec 12, 2013 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

//dig says invalid command /dig says invalid command

I've tried all of the following and none of them do anything and come up invalid
//fixlight
/fixlight
//fix light
//fixlight

I am still getting patches of dark cubes (almost black) on land or water whenever I replace large areas with a different node.

Last edited by Tx_RushFan on Fri Dec 13, 2013 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Oops sorry that method is for the previous (pre 0.4.8) world edit, now it uses luavoxelmanip, i'll look at the code ...
EDIT
The /fixlight command is the replacement for the old /dig command, make sure you have p1 and p2 set before using it. That command 'digs' only air nodes in a selected volume, so you need to build 2 pillars at opposite corners of the dark area, both built up to the same height and slightly higher than the dark area. Select the top node of each pillar as p1 and p2, then /fixlight. Hope that works.
Last edited by paramat on Fri Dec 13, 2013 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

567 nodes updated but nothing happens. People in IRC chat are saying it is a light bug and has been around since Minetest came out.

I did finally clear out all the area by filling in smaller areas, like 1/4 of the total area. Also I think the issue might be if you are trying to fill an area up to/next to an area with a different node type. I found that if I fill stone up against water it causes the issue. Yet if I leave a one node 'buffer' between where I am filling and water then I don't get the dark node issue.
Last edited by Tx_RushFan on Fri Dec 13, 2013 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Have you had a look under the area? There could be a huge cave system under there, if there is a cave and you clear a few layers it can stay dark. Have you tried the simple lighting bug fixes like placing a torch or breaking one the nodes that is black? The black tree's bug maybe a different bug but breaking one leaf node box would correct the whole tree.

I have had parts of my buildings go really dark and from what i know it's when i dig down a few layers to flatten the terrain and what do i find under it? a cave. Could be something simple like either of those, worth a look
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Hmm okay sorry that didnt work. Minetest does have a few buggy shadows on mapgen but these should all be removable by updating the lighting. The manual way is to 'place and remove' torches every 16 nodes or so. I'm wondering if the 'fixlight command is failing because it is digging air instead of a solid material? ...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

The shadows may be caused by cavegen, which unfortunately places 'cave air' (which is dark) in the wrong places. You could try editing your 'minetest.conf' file so that the 'mg_flags' line does not have 'caves'. This might help in mapgen v6, not sure about v7 but worth a try.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Dec 14, 2013 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

teneighty
In-game: teneighty

Re: Dark patches in water after clearing land with Worldedit

by teneighty » Post

I know the thread is old, but it was the first result when I searched for a solution to this problem.

Paramat's remark about "cave air" gave me an idea. I selected an area, and used set nodes to set all the blocks to "air".

Martno

by Martno » Post

I also have problems with dark patches. //fixlight doesn't work all the time, so I have to select all the dark air, and this command always work: //replace air air
But I have to make sure that all the dark areas are selected, even the air above

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Martno wrote:I also have problems with dark patches. //fixlight doesn't work all the time, so I have to select all the dark air, and this command always work: //replace air air
But I have to make sure that all the dark areas are selected, even the air above
Get the mod "mapfix" and in the world type /fixmap. It works on a 40x40 node section, works awesome!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Martno

by Martno » Post

maikerumine wrote: Get the mod "mapfix" and in the world type /fixmap. It works on a 40x40 node section, works awesome!
Thanks for this advice. I will try that, seems easier to fix the map with that.

Is this a Minetest bug, or something with mods? Because something like this happens with More trees. There are very dark (black) shadows under tall trees, and those doesn't disappear, when I cut down the tree.

minetestcr

by minetestcr » Post

Martno wrote:I also have problems with dark patches. //fixlight doesn't work all the time, so I have to select all the dark air, and this command always work: //replace air air
I got dark patches after //mtschemcreate - //mtschemplace and this solution worked for me... thanks

Pixalou
In-game: Pixalou

by Pixalou » Post

Hi,

With your differents answers, i found a good issue :

select all the area (with every kinds of blocks) and apply this command :
//replace air air

It will replace every bad air block with new air block without modifying other blocks.

I hope this will help you.

regards,

Pixalou

PS : i missed the Martno post who already talk about this command.