System-wide freeze on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

theblob

System-wide freeze on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

by theblob » Post

When I play Minetest, every once in a while, my computer will freeze up for a period of time, sometimes requiring a hard reboot. No switching windows, no switching workspaces, and the sound either cuts off or repeats the last second (give or take) over and over again. The only thing that keeps working is the cursor. Any ideas on what might be wrong or how to fix it? I'm running Minetest 0.4.9 on an Intel i3 processor with an Intel HD 3000 graphics card.
Dogecoin: DM33mpJVPMNiaTxBoBpiJChBrnLBQFyaw9

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Its maybe just low RAM.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

Does Alt+SysRq+B reboot it when this happens?

(If you can't find the SysRq key, look for "Print Screen". They're the same key)
Last edited by cheapie on Sat Feb 08, 2014 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
-- This account is no longer active --
My mods have moved to: https://cheapiesystems.com/git

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

I've had this problem before too. Usually when I run both minetest and firefox. For a while 4.7 would do it on its own if I pushed the map generation too far (aka trying to reach the nether with fly and noclip). I had always attributed it to a hardware issue of not being able to keep up. The interesting part is that you can still move the mouse. Can you go into the command line mode? For me it is alt + ctrl + f1. You may be able to terminate minetest from that view.

The odd part is how it enters that half-second audio loop. I think there is a bug in the software somewhere. Whether it is minetest or the video driver, I have no idea.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

theblob

by theblob » Post

I'm going to try to get the glitch to happen again. I'll be leaving System Monitor open while playing, so hopefully, I'll have something interesting to share.
Dogecoin: DM33mpJVPMNiaTxBoBpiJChBrnLBQFyaw9

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

try listening to internet radio at the same time. I found it usually had something to do with overtaxing the system. also, try turning on no-clip and fly and try to reach the bottom of the map. these just might work.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

There's probably nothing you can do, apart from trying to run a development version of the drivers (oibaf's PPA), known bug with Intel HD 2000/3000s. Also, an Intel HD 3000 is not a graphics card, it's an integrated graphics processor (IGP).