Blanked / Crashed Environment Graphics (Linux)

jesuslovesyou101
In-game: jesuslovesyou101

Blanked / Crashed Environment Graphics (Linux)

by jesuslovesyou101 » Post

I can't remember if this was happening with older versions, but I am currently running 4.10 Minetest on Linux (Ubuntu variety) I am having an issue with the environment crashing or blanking however it would be considered. I am going along mining away, and every thing but the HUD and the player's hand and tools and inventory menu go to a darkish grey. To clarify, after the grey blank happens, you no longer can tell if you are looking up, down, left or right, or moving at all, or any objects around you, everything is gone.

I have made an zip archive of 3 copies of the same world. I made a world called Testing Graphics Blank. And backed up a copy that I know played good. Then proceeded to play normally. I originally seen this happen when I was using 2 different animal mods, the homedecor mod, and mesecons mod, (I tried to include these in the archive, but the forum said it was too big, if these are needed for testing, let me know and I will upload them separately). I disabled those mods but left them in the .minetest folder. I also was testing 2 different Texture Packs Minetoon, and Misa because both were Hi-Res and very nice looking. When the blanking began I immediately disabled the mods, but left the texture packs. Went to my backup copy of the world and tested Minetoon first (its my favorite). Graphics greyed out after about 5 or 10 minutes, deleted world and went to the backup, tried again with Misa, greyed again. Deleted, swapped to backup, tried again with the Default textures, and still is blanking out.

I don't know if this is because of the mods I used in the early parts of this world, but no matter what, the same is happening, and is very discouraging to play at all, not knowing if all progress will be lost due to this issue.

I will only upload the world that has the default textures for now, with debug file, and screenshots of the issue, and of the settings I was using, if more info or files are needed please let me know. I have tried this on AMD, and Intel CPU's with only integrated graphics, and never ran out of system memory, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give, and God Bless your guy's work.
Attachments
Default Textures World.zip
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

TenPlus1
GitHub: tenplus1

Re: Blanked / Crashed Environment Graphics (Linux)

by TenPlus1 » Post

This is a bug in minetest itself when it causes the following error (seen in terminal):

20:41:26: ERROR[main]: WARNING: updateListener: invalid value

...and causes you to fall through the world until you either teleport to fix it and bring the game back to normal gameplay... when this does happen I tend to go into fly mode to stop falling and teleport back to spawn or if your server has it, type /home

jesuslovesyou101

I have no idea how to do teleport or turn on fly mode. Never been into using commands in game, just colleting and fighting monsters. Come to think of it, this only happened when I was mining diagonally down like steps to collect stone and coal, and look for caves, never found caves but that was when it was blanking.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Newer versions of MT show a completely black screen once you're embedded inside a node (unless you have the noclip priv). If your problem occours primarily when you try to mine diagonally downards, try to wait a few seconds or dig the node where your "head" is again. Perhaps that'll help.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jesuslovesyou101

Thank you Sokomine, I'll try that if it happens again. I started a new world and don't seem to be having the issue yet, but haven't mined diagonally at all, only in natural formed caves. I started this one with no mods, just using Minetoon texture pack. Love that there is no need for anything like MCpatcher with Minetest to get decent looking textures.

If it doesn't blank again for a long time, I will try to re-enable the creature mods and see how it goes. Kinda boring playing with nothing coming out at night. Don't miss that fire throwing thing that came out of no where and was soo hard to fight. Prefer zombies, and maybe a creeper like thing that has some kind of warning. Hope these become default soon so no need to mod.

Thank you guys, and will keep you updated. God Bless!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

jesuslovesyou101 wrote: Don't miss that fire throwing thing that came out of no where and was soo hard to fight. Prefer zombies, and maybe a creeper like thing that has some kind of warning. Hope these become default soon so no need to mod.
Those fire throwing things are usually called "Dungeon master". They're hard to fight and very annoying. Zombies are more of a problem because they tend to turn up in huge quantities, which may limit performance and increase lage.

But the good thinig about Minetest is that you can just eliminate undesired mobs and keep only those you like :-) For me, zombies usually do not "live" long. They waste cpu circles for annoying me :-) Whereas Dungeon masters are more rare and may - under certain circumstances - be allowed to "live". Sand- and dirt mobs from simple mobs are also pretty ok. Especially if they just wander around and don't attack.
A list of my mods can be found here.