List of important system features to ready Minetest

For people working on the C++ code.
VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I will leave it to celeron55 to repeat his answer here. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

madarexxx wrote:Not everyone, but many people have netbooks, which doesn't have powerful hardware. Minetest is my primary game on my netbook, and I don't want to see it more lagging!
Which is why I suggested making all advanced features optional settings, which people can enable only if they need to.

madarexxx

by madarexxx » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:
madarexxx wrote:Not everyone, but many people have netbooks, which doesn't have powerful hardware. Minetest is my primary game on my netbook, and I don't want to see it more lagging!
Which is why I suggested making all advanced features optional settings, which people can enable only if they need to.

Nice idea, but it shall not affect on performance, in minimal effect mode.
Sorry for my bad English, please help me learn it - correct my worst mistakes :)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

madarexxx wrote:Nice idea, but it shall not affect on performance, in minimal effect mode.
Sure. In the case of rendering effects for instance... like bloom or reflections or bump mapping (given we'll ever have that). Not enabling them doesn't have how to decrease performance or cause incompatibilities on older machines. I did have some ideas regarding the physics however, which might be a bit trickier (and probably won't happen so...)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Time to clean the dust off this topic a bit. I updated the first post, marking two more essential features as implemented. First is animated lava / water... latest MineTest has that implemented properly now. Second is 3D players. As everyone likely knows from the other thread, I've been working on implementing animated mesh support during the last month. Today the last bugs got fixed, and the feature was merged upstream with a default mesh and texture (details here).

Particles are one thing that will probably be marked as implemented soon. I seem them working as a mod on another server, but they're not in c55 master yet so I can't say much yet. Same for mined items dropping to the ground, they're working very nicely on OldCoder's server (europe.minetest.org) but aren't part of minetest_game yet.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

madarexxx wrote:
MirceaKitsune wrote:

Nice idea, but it shall not affect on performance, in minimal effect mode.
I have a really fast machine with awesome graphics, yet even I still can't get performance as fast as Minecraft if GPU computing is putting my machine under stress.

Therefore: What will possibly help is putting in a Maximum draw distance option. It seems to draw really far now that 0.4.4 is out, much farther than my preference(since I am going to need to squint to see stuff that far anyway). I can set the min with - and +, but as far as setting a max, that option should be implemented.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

In minetest.conf

Code: Select all

viewing_range_nodes_max = 240
As of 0.4.4, 240 is the default. Before 0.4.4, it was 160.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Calinou wrote:In minetest.conf

I never knew about this max. Can it be added as an option in-game or in a settings menu?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

rarkenin wrote:

I never knew about this max. Can it be added as an option in-game or in a settings menu?
You can use + and - to control it in-game.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
rarkenin wrote:

You can use + and - to control it in-game.
+ and - control the min for some reason. If I set `viewing_range_nodes_max` to 100, and use - to lower it, and reopen the configuration file, the min is changed. If I have min set to 50 and max set to 200, then + and - start in the ballpark of 50. This is Minetest 0.4.4, original Win32 zip from the official website.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Two more points marked as resolved in the first post. Particles have existed for a few months, and digging any node causes particles with parts of that texture to come out.

My work on better player physics went upstream today as well, fixing the "basic player physics concern". Air acceleration has been reduced, while diving in water works correctly as well (other big improvements in player movement were done too).

Things are going very nicely, keep it up everyone! I can see more large improvements happening in the near future :D