A few questions

For people working on the C++ code.
ntpspe

A few questions

by ntpspe » Post

Hey guys,

I have a few questions, (don't worry i'm not some noob in the wrong category :P )

1- Is this coded in C++? I've got the source on my computer, and they are .cpp and .h files, but I heard something about the 'irrlicht' wrapper somewhere on the forums. Is that a GUI utility? Or is it another language I'd have to learn? (I mean is it similar to learning openGL).

2- Why are there so many different forks? Wouldn't it be better if the hierarchy was like this?:

STABLE RELEASE
^
|
OFFICIAL SOURCE
^
|
PATCHES THAT CAN BE ADDED BY CELERON IF HE CHOSES

So basically, there's the default source code, and then anyone wanting to edit features and the like, simply download the source they want to edit (mobs.cpp for example) and then upload it to a 'patches' page. Then Celeron can look through the patches, test them out, and implement them in the OFFICIAL SOURCE if he so chooses, then build it into the STABLE RELEASE.

-This is just an idea :P

3- This one kinda sounds noobish, but i'm learning C++... can i help? :P

Thanks guys :)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Game is coded in C++ and using Irllicht, but I don't think Irrlicht is a separate language itself.
About the 2, I agree about your fork system suggestion.

ntpspe

by ntpspe » Post

Aah nice one. i'll try get all the cpp files into a project in code::blocks and take a look :)

And yeah, Manic Digger uses a similar structure, and everybody knows what they're doing, anyone can make and upload patches, and at the end we just decide what to/not to add, or tell people to improve they're patches :)

No-Half-Measures

by No-Half-Measures » Post

1: Yup, Uses Irllicht Engine which is C++.

2: The forks are Called Delta Forks. erlehmann's Fork is the Main Delta Fork the other Forks are were people can easily work on things they think need doing. They can then Submit to erlehmann's a Pull Request to Merg their changes into His. Celeron will then at some point will Merg erlehmann's fork with the C55 Release and make some fixes then applies it a a Release. There is a System behind it.

I do not Advise anyone using any of the Other Forks other Than erlehmann's Master Fork. Consider the other Forks as 'Possibly outdated' and not Stable nor compatible with current servers.

3: OFC make your self a GitHub account and get erlehmann's Master Fork. There is plenty oh help on GitHub to learn how to use it.

ntpspe

by ntpspe » Post

No-Half-Measures wrote: I do not Advise anyone using any of the Other Forks other Than erlehmann's Master Fork. Consider the other Forks as 'Possibly outdated' and not Stable nor compatible with current servers.
That's the problem in my opinion, any user coming onto the site will just download the 'old' release, when there's a new one, and if erlehmann's for is the most updated then the other forks are pretty much obsolete.

Whereas, compile erlehmann's fork and use it as the stable release, then everybody else just edits parts and uploads them as patches to be added - it's just a suggestion for a more organised workplace :P
For example, I was thinking of making a sound system (no music and sounds bugs me :P) so if i finished work on it, then uploaded it as a patch, celeron could then merge it into the main source, or not.

The other advantages of patches is that any user could download the source, and add whatever patches they wanted into they're own version (for example, if sound didn't get added, i could add it in mine, bob could add it in his, but frank might not).

No-Half-Measures

by No-Half-Measures » Post

Your Thinking way to complicatedly.

Merging multiple Patches you want and then compiling it require some Technical knowledge not everyone is that cleaver or tech friendly so to them this is like going "Do know how to use a PC? the don't play this" if you get what I mean.

I'm not gonna go on as I could write paragraphs but all i can say to sum it up is Keeping it simple keeps it user friendly. Unless someone comes up with a Application that Can Merge & Compile multiple patches its not advised to be thinking patches/Mods so soon.

But it is a nice Idea and like i said, If someone comes up with the Application to make it easy for users then patches/mod can happen.