Merge craft item and tool

For people working on the C++ code.
SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Merge craft item and tool

by SonosFuer » Post

I want to propose that we merge craft items and tools. So far I know of three differences between the two

- tools have wear
- tools can have their wear repaired if two are placed in the crafting grid together
- there is a hard coded stack max of one

The stack max is variable for craft items and can be set to 1 if you so desired. The wear could exist for craft items, just set a wear value and if it is -1 or undefined then there is no ware. The repair system I don't have a fix for but I also feel like this shouldn't be built into the engine but added per game as there could be other desired repair methods and the crafting method may not be desired, but I may be alone on this one.

There has been some discussion about this already but I am interested in hearing more points of view.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4815
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Merge craft item and tool

by rubenwardy » Post

This is already highly supported in that issue, not sure what the point of this thread is
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Re: Merge craft item and tool

by SonosFuer » Post

You are the only core developer to comment on the issue, there is one other community member who has voiced their support and Wuzzy stated that he was unsure. I was hoping to get insight from some of the rest of the core development team before starting on a pointless project. If it continues to get supported then it most definitely should be done but if it gets resistance getting to the point of a pull request may mean nothing but a lot of learning about the engine. There may also be some support for removing the tools if the person who originally coded them comments and helps point out what needs done.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137