C++11

For people working on the C++ code.
I~=Spam

Re: C++11

by I~=Spam » Post

Zeno wrote:The upgrade to C++11 should occur when all supported OSs and compilers support C++11. This is not the case at the moment. We should (and will?) support all LTS Linux versions.
Actually, you are so wrong about this it is actually funny. This is how misinformation starts. ALL OS's and compilers DO support C++11 now. VS has supported many common C++11 features for 5 YEARS. Ever since VS 2010. This is pretty much the same for all compilers. C++11 is no longer "beta" in gcc. Again research your facts please. I doubt you have even been keeping watch because if you have even checked the status in the last year you would find out just how wrong you are.

The ONLY reason for not using C++11 is that VS 2008 users won't be able to compile minetest. But with VS community edition, this argument is now void. Also it is trivial to update gcc on linux and asking them to upgrade isn't necessarily a bad thing because of new optimizations.

This is the kind of misinformation that stops progress and is the worst kind.... grrrr.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

I~=Spam wrote:
Zeno wrote:C++11 is no longer "beta" in gcc. Again research your facts please. I doubt you have even been keeping watch because if you have even checked the status in the last year you would find out just how wrong you are.
I am well aware of what gcc supports and doesn't support. Have you ever tried updating gcc and glibc on an existing LTS repo? (I.e. manually, because the package won't be in the update lists). When you've done that, let me know how you went.

I~=Spam

by I~=Spam » Post

Zeno wrote:
I~=Spam wrote:
Zeno wrote:C++11 is no longer "beta" in gcc. Again research your facts please. I doubt you have even been keeping watch because if you have even checked the status in the last year you would find out just how wrong you are.
I am well aware of what gcc supports and doesn't support. Have you ever tried updating gcc and glibc on an existing LTS repo? (I.e. manually, because the package won't be in the update lists). When you've done that, let me know how you went.
Done: http://askubuntu.com/questions/428198/g ... -on-ubuntu
Boom. Pretty easy. Learn to google before you speak.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

philipbenr wrote:I think not until 0.6 series. This give plenty of time to look for other solutions.
I think that's a good idea. Even if there are updates for the older systems, this does not mean everybody would upgrade immediately. For some players it might be positive when they still can play Minetest without having to upgrade the OS.

When I look at https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... t-15916673 then it's much easier for me to understand the upper code block.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I don't like your tone of voice, I~=Spam. I updated GCC on my installation, and I ended up with lots of weird errors that took an hour to fix (I followed that page). We can't rely on players having the skill to do this.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

You will end up with weird errors. Especially with shared libs that minetest (and other stuff you build) dynamically link to when running.

Edit: by the way, I said not to use a pre-built repository because not all LTS distro have that available! Also, try it on a distro other than ubuntu

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Honestly, safest would be to switch only when the main repositories of all major distros' LTS versions point to a g++ version that compiles C++11 without extra options like "-std=c++11". At that point you'll know C++11 is truly mainstream. It might be 10 years from now, but....