3rd person view

For people working on the C++ code.
BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Nothing new, just a new build for windows-users to test front-view and improved camera positioning:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqevf5pibo80k ... 3rdpv2.zip

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

This is so awesome! I wish there was a better way to thank you and everybody who puts aside time to develop these things! This is going as default in Fiveflags!
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Hopefully there will be a top-down view and a 45 degree angle view added.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

I REALLY love this. This is SO cool! I really hope this makes it into the next release. I just have one qualm about it... MC does the samething, and that is that the cross hairs are on the back of the chars head.I really dont like this because I cant see what im mining...
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Rather than different modes, what this should do is let you have a button for making the camera freely move. It could default to middle mouse button, since that isn't used for anything, currently.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

gsmanners wrote:Rather than different modes, what this should do is let you have a button for making the camera freely move. It could default to middle mouse button, since that isn't used for anything, currently.
It could let people see anywhere (even in areas that are supposed to be private), so that should probably only be enabled if you have some privilege.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

That's a good idea. Have a fly cam if you have fly privs and a camera locked into looking at the player, otherwise.
Last edited by gsmanners on Sat Jan 25, 2014 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

gsmanners wrote:That's a good idea. Have a fly cam if you have fly privs and a camera locked into looking at the player, otherwise.
The camera should not be able to go through blocks unless the noclip priviledge is had.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Inocudom wrote:
gsmanners wrote:That's a good idea. Have a fly cam if you have fly privs and a camera locked into looking at the player, otherwise.
The camera should not be able to go through blocks unless the noclip priviledge is had.
Right, it could be used for cheating.
Back from the dead!

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Inocudom wrote:
Right, it could be used for cheating.
To further limit cheating, the camera's maximum distance from the player should be limited (this also prevents players from taking the camera all the way to the end of the world.)

For the sake of realism, first person view could allow the player to look down at his/her body from where his/her head is (and the camera would be inside the head, of course.) PilzAdam did attempt something like this before:
viewtopic.php?pid=80739#p80739
Last edited by Inocudom on Sat Jan 25, 2014 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

A free moveable camera would be an idea for somewhen far in the future. At least i wont do it next time.
Inocudom wrote:For the sake of realism, first person view could allow the player to look down at his/her body from where his/her head is (and the camera would be inside the head, of course.) PilzAdam did attempt something like this before:
IMO it looks crap. Furthermore you cant place the camera inside of the head since you would see the mesh/model from inside then. And you get even more problems with the wield items since the models animations are then visible (like the digging arm) and would cause interferences.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

BlockMen wrote:A free moveable camera would be an idea for somewhen far in the future. At least i wont do it next time.
Inocudom wrote:For the sake of realism, first person view could allow the player to look down at his/her body from where his/her head is (and the camera would be inside the head, of course.) PilzAdam did attempt something like this before:
IMO it looks crap. Furthermore you cant place the camera inside of the head since you would see the mesh/model from inside then. And you get even more problems with the wield items since the models animations are then visible (like the digging arm) and would cause interferences.
What if we used another mesh, which would be overridden for other players on server, that would not have a head? And then fix the camera such that certain views, such as looking straight down at your neck is impossible?

I don't get what you mean by "And you get even more problems with the wield items since the models animations are then visible (like the digging arm) and would cause interferences"
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

hoodedice wrote:
BlockMen wrote:A free moveable camera would be an idea for somewhen far in the future. At least i wont do it next time.
What if we used another mesh, which would be overridden for other players on server, that would not have a head? And then fix the camera such that certain views, such as looking straight down at your neck is impossible?

I don't get what you mean by "And you get even more problems with the wield items since the models animations are then visible (like the digging arm) and would cause interferences"
With a headless mesh it would work, yes. That needs to be used just by client then, so one mesh more to download when connecting to server.

And maybe its better to understand when trying out ;) Remove https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... .cpp#L3344 and https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... .cpp#L1129 then you will see what i mean.

Well, that could be done with that "client-side" headless model to, but i dont think that it should be done like that...

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

TOO MUCH CODE. HEAD STUCK IN LAPTOP HINGE.

Sorry man, but I don't know C++ yet =/
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

BlockMen wrote:
hoodedice wrote:

With a headless mesh it would work, yes. That needs to be used just by client then, so one mesh more to download when connecting to server.

And maybe its better to understand when trying out ;) Remove https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... .cpp#L3344 and https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... .cpp#L1129 then you will see what i mean.

Well, that could be done with that "client-side" headless model to, but i dont think that it should be done like that...
From what I noticed, only the outside faces of the default player model's mesh are visible.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Inocudom wrote:From what I noticed, only the outside faces of the default player model's mesh are visible.
Yes, but when you look down, there will be a point where you can see the edges of the mesh.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Misty

by Misty » Post

Blockmen,

Great work.
I am waiting patiently for this to be added to Minetest.
Third person view will be wonderful for let's play, tutorial, and video screenshot videos.
( also It would just be fun to see how our characters look in the Minetest world. )
I play on Linux, so unfortunately a windows build, or a patch for Minetest on Windows isnt something I can use.

I'm going to scroll back and reread this topic in case I missed something about a linux download, but I wanted to let you know how excited I am to have this feature in the works. I've been meaning to say something for a while.
I watched the Videos and third person view is looking good, I want a cape to. :)
Certified 100% signature Virus free.

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

Misty wrote: I play on Linux, so unfortunately a windows build, or a patch for Minetest on Windows isnt something I can use.
you can compile from git.
Last edited by CWz on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
I am CWz on the following servers: VanessaE's servers. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

t3tNU9hNyeSJxFOmM5fmtGxlfoJrcBCg

DeepGaze
GitHub: DeepGaze
IRC: DeepGaze
In-game: DeepGaze

by DeepGaze » Post

f5 is for coordinates and developer console
Last edited by DeepGaze on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
there's no place like 127.0.0.1
The deep life Minetest text page
minetest cards

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

I think this is using F7.

Anyway, another way you could go would be to use the Skyrim method: Free look (with the camera snapped to the player) all the time except if the player is moving the character with directional keys (WASD). If the character is moving, then you lock the camera behind or in front of the character.

Misty

by Misty » Post

CWz yes, thanks. if I get desperate to try this I will compile from git.
Certified 100% signature Virus free.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Misty wrote:CWz yes, thanks. if I get desperate to try this I will compile from git.
Misty, in linux, compiling things is normal. It isn't just some "Last resort". Just download it from github, copy minetest_game to the game folder, then cmake. - DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 make -j3 ./minetest/bin/minetest. BAM
Back from the dead!

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Misty wrote:CWz yes, thanks. if I get desperate to try this I will compile from git.
Misty, in linux, compiling things is normal. It isn't just some "Last resort". Just download it from github, copy minetest_game to the game folder, then cmake. - DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 make -j3 ./minetest/bin/minetest. BAM
If it would be that simple one Windows... (I am quite sure that within the next 4 hours someone will post that Windows is sh*t)

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
If it would be that simple one Windows... (I am quite sure that within the next 4 hours someone will post that Windows is sh*t)
Yes, it's not that simple on windows. :P
Back from the dead!