minetest config..why?(and much more)

For people working on the C++ code.
User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

minetest config..why?(and much more)

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 13:45

why does mine test use a config file? why not make all of the values tables? fov slider? doesn't that sound nice? :] what about if your playing on high settings and it starts lagging and you want to turn down the settings without resetting the game? frame rate cap? a slider switch for that? 30-300 :D but lets make this a double post because this involves the config menu too!

what if we had a new setting? instead of the game just rendering out more and more of the map until the frame rate is severely cut (this happens on my machine) why not make preset limits?? you know what can make that possible? a new rendering engine (engine? or is it code? anyway..) should be implimented the limits the number of chunks (in all 4 directions and on each axis) that can be loaded..this will allow faster rendering and will remove the "chunk flicker" that happens very frequently...and why do i have to stop here LETS GO EVEN FURTHER!

i noticed that you have to be near the chunks for it to load..i can see why..because if it loaded up every visual chunk (right now) it would be a low-fps irrlicht rendering nightmare...but the fix above would make this work without being a disaster! also no more annoying "pathways" of rendered "floating land" just to clearify... THIS would render all the chunks within a certain distance without having to look around..so it gives a more..natural feeling..also the fog should be a lot stronger..all of this would give the feeling (or illusion) of not being on a nod or a thin piece of land floating above nothingness..and it would give the ground more of a definitive feeling of being on actual "ground." BUT lets keep going with this...
EDIT: the way this works is if a person enters a chunk on 1 axis..the chunks on the opposite spectrum become unloaded..so lets just say you walk +1 on the x axis.. and this loads up a new set of chunks on that axis (it loads +1 x chunk and all the chunks across the y axis on that x axis within range) and removes the set of chunks on the opposite side of the "render box"


what if within a certain distance..the textures STOP LOADING COMPLETELY (sharply)! and there is just a blurred image so that the pc and rendering engine does not have to work hard..but a few nodes out from that..what if the texture does not load at all?? but the irrlicht engine supplies a color to each node that was supposed to have a texture...so far away sand would have "beige" color and grass block would have a green top and brown for the rest

what are my sources you say?? how do i know this will work??

this is what the gta series uses..other wise the xbox would not even be able to start playing gta 4

AND the minecraft optifine mod:http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-100-optifine-hd-d3-fps-boost-hd-textures/
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Sat Jan 14, 2012 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
I've been gone for a long time
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:07

Minetest uses config because it is the best way to store and edit settings.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:08

neko259 wrote:Minetest uses config because it is the best way to store and edit settings.

thats why i'm asking WHY because why should it be?! we should make it so it has a temp setting..which stores the setting but the main way to configure it is IN GAME :D
I've been gone for a long time
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:09

Editing config is faster and it can be done by scripts or through SSH.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:11

neko259 wrote:Editing config is faster and it can be done by scripts or through SSH.

but what i'm saying is THE CLIENT..should have these settings that effect the game play :) because it is a little tedious for this stuff and i've offered for my friends to play this game and then they ask..where are the settings? and i say "in this file" and their like -face palm- this games ghetto ..and they instantly drop it >.<
I've been gone for a long time
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:19

Well, what do your friends say when you tell them to compile the game from git? :P
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:20

they use windows not linux lol
I've been gone for a long time
 

User avatar
Hackeridze
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 13:35

by Hackeridze » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:21

neko259 wrote:Well, what do your friends say when you tell them to compile the game from git? :P

They would say: "Okay."
Last edited by Hackeridze on Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
My game: RTMG
GENTOO USER
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:22

if i did tell them that..they'd probobly go.. "ummm..nah"
I've been gone for a long time
 

User avatar
Hackeridze
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 13:35

by Hackeridze » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:24

jordan4ibanez wrote:if i did tell them that..they'd probobly go.. "ummm..nah"
[ru transcription=true]
nah? nahui? :D[/ru]
My game: RTMG
GENTOO USER
 

User avatar
redcrab
Member
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:45
Location: France

by redcrab » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:32

The issue is not about to have a setting in file, but be obliged to restart the software to be able to use new settings..

At server side it is also an issue..

for instance ...

Code: Select all
port = 30000

it' is not an issue ... because that make sense to restart the server to use a new port

Code: Select all
motd=Welcome to my server

This is an issue because why to restart the server if we want to set another "Message of the day" ... a lua api to change the motd ?
otherwise motd should be rename mottv (message to visitor) ... because current "of the day" involved a downtime for each refresh..

Can you imagine to have to restart your apache server each time you add a post to the forum ...
:D

my two cents..
Last edited by redcrab on Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:47

You don't need to restart the server. You can use the 'setting' command in-game.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

jn
Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 19:15

by jn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 19:38

jordan4ibanez wrote:why does mine test use a config file? why not make all of the values booleans? fov slider? doesn't that sound nice? :] what about if your playing on high settings and it starts lagging and you want to turn down the settings without resetting the game? frame rate cap? a slider switch for that? 30-300 :D but lets make this a double post because this involves the config menu too!

You basically propose a nice config GUI. We don't need kill the config file, though, it's still a nice thing to have around when playing with new options, or on a headless server. (Aside from that, the configuration needs to be stored on disk either way; plain text happens to be quite a sane option)


As to the other ideas, I hope someone will play with the rendering code and implement them, to see how well they work. (It probably won't be me, though)
Last edited by jn on Fri Jan 13, 2012 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
sdzen
Member
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 22:33
Location: Paradise (your not allowed)

by sdzen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 21:31

neko259 wrote:You don't need to restart the server. You can use the 'setting' command in-game.

dead true and quite a nice feature.
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno
 

sapier
Developer
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 18:17

by sapier » Fri Jan 13, 2012 23:16

You know that inactive areas are not even loaded by server! I haven't implemented it but i assume that is done for following reasons:

1) less ram usage on server (might not be that expensive today)
2) reduce ANY search operation in game logics. You don't have to look if an unloaded block is involved in anything
3) entities! all inactive entities aren't handled anymore You think entities aren't a big deal? Consider animals entities each of them has to handle movement ai fighting ai etc ... having hundreds and thousands of them all active (which is no big deal on large worlds) will kill any server.

I don't understand how you want to get any possible setting in booleans? Whats wrong with a standard settings menu? Just because (some) smartphones do only know yes or no not every application round the world has to switch to that limited sort of configuration ;-).
At least thats my opinion :-)
Last edited by sapier on Fri Jan 13, 2012 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Sat Jan 14, 2012 00:28

sapier wrote:You know that inactive areas are not even loaded by server! I haven't implemented it but i assume that is done for following reasons:

1) less ram usage on server (might not be that expensive today)
2) reduce ANY search operation in game logics. You don't have to look if an unloaded block is involved in anything
3) entities! all inactive entities aren't handled anymore You think entities aren't a big deal? Consider animals entities each of them has to handle movement ai fighting ai etc ... having hundreds and thousands of them all active (which is no big deal on large worlds) will kill any server.

I don't understand how you want to get any possible setting in booleans? Whats wrong with a standard settings menu? Just because (some) smartphones do only know yes or no not every application round the world has to switch to that limited sort of configuration ;-).
At least thats my opinion :-)

good point about booleans ..changed
I've been gone for a long time
 


Return to Partly official engine development



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest