gsmapper + map mod

For people working on the C++ code.
Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: gsmapper + map mod

by Inocudom » Post

Amaz wrote:
Inocudom wrote:So far, it appears that gsmapper can only map the surface, as caves don't show up. Two other issues involve how scrolling is handled and how node changes do not show up immediately (gsmapper has to be scrolled first.)
To show caves, add hud_map_above = false to minetest.conf, rather buggy... Not sure if you mean it doesn't scroll when you move, if so, hud_map_tracking=1 in minetest.conf (Even buggier!)
And it seems to update the map without scrolling, for me...
Thank you for the information, but is there a command that makes the map bigger (to make it easier to see?)

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Inocudom wrote:...but is there a command that makes the map bigger (to make it easier to see?)
gsmanners wrote:Everything is done with /set commands at the moment. It would be nice to use keyboard shortcuts, but I want to leave that for a Lua interface (just have figure out how to support that at some point).

For now, you can do lots of stuff with commands like this:
/set hud_map_scale 1.5
The above will "zoom" in 50% (and it will become your new default the next time you run).

Some other settings:

hud_map_alpha <-- 0 to 255
hud_map_above <-- false = below-ground radar
hud_map_tracking <-- true = keep the player in the center (I still need to optimize this one, though)
hud_map_width and hud_map_height <-- the size of the map
That should be what you want!

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Amaz wrote:
Inocudom wrote:...but is there a command that makes the map bigger (to make it easier to see?)
gsmanners wrote:Everything is done with /set commands at the moment. It would be nice to use keyboard shortcuts, but I want to leave that for a Lua interface (just have figure out how to support that at some point).

For now, you can do lots of stuff with commands like this:
/set hud_map_scale 1.5
The above will "zoom" in 50% (and it will become your new default the next time you run).

Some other settings:

hud_map_alpha <-- 0 to 255
hud_map_above <-- false = below-ground radar
hud_map_tracking <-- true = keep the player in the center (I still need to optimize this one, though)
hud_map_width and hud_map_height <-- the size of the map
That should be what you want!
Thank you. That is everything I need.

On a more serious note, the bad allocation error happens a lot with Krock's build when I join servers like ShadowNinja's Creative Server and VanessaE's Creative Server.

The gsmapper branch of Minetest is many commits behind the master branch. For the sake of testing, it would be wise to update it.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

gsmanners, are you still working on this? Because the pull request has been closed to to a license change, and the patches no longer work with the dev version of Minetest. I would be very sad to see this die, as it is a great piece of work, and I have installed it system wide with Minetest... (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... t-46561514)
On a different note, it seems to crash whenever there is an unknown node loaded.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Amaz wrote:gsmanners, are you still working on this? Because the pull request has been closed to to a license change, and the patches no longer work with the dev version of Minetest. I would be very sad to see this die, as it is a great piece of work, and I have installed it system wide with Minetest... (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... t-46561514)
On a different note, it seems to crash whenever there is an unknown node loaded.
It does crash whenever an unknown node is loaded.

This is one of those projects that requires more than one person working on it in order for it to succeed at all. Right now, to be blunt, gsmapper is on its deathbed. Even Freeminer won't accept it in its current state.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Inocudom wrote:
Amaz wrote:gsmanners, are you still working on this? Because the pull request has been closed to to a license change, and the patches no longer work with the dev version of Minetest. I would be very sad to see this die, as it is a great piece of work, and I have installed it system wide with Minetest... (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... t-46561514)
It does crash whenever an unknown node is loaded.

This is one of those projects that requires more than one person working on it in order for it to succeed at all. Right now, to be blunt, gsmapper is on its deathbed. Even Freeminer won't accept it in its current state.
Yep. If I knew C/C++ I would volunteer to help, but unfortunately I don't. Someone needs to help, as this is too good a patch to let die.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Those that are the most qualified to help are the ones that work on the various versions of minetestmapper.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Yeah.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I am guessing that there won't be any activity with this until autumn comes around. Too bad this feature isn't talked about very much. I guess most people either don't know about this, or don't care. Don't they know that this will make navigating worlds easier, or is that why they don't know/care about it?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Because they are too lazy to try and implement it into their game. Somebody has to be making regular builds of it/given a full tutorial of how to implement.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

philipbenr wrote:Because they are too lazy to try and implement it into their game. Somebody has to be making regular builds of it/given a full tutorial of how to implement.
Yes, I actually find engine patches like this quite interesting. It's just that it isn't n00b friendly to install.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

There is no longer a patch of gsmapper. Instead, there is now a Minetest branch that contains it:
https://github.com/gsmanners/minetest/tree/gsmapper
Of course, this branch has not been updated for a few weeks, so it does not contain important bug fixes and improvements that were recently made in the master branch. Very big problem that is.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Evergreen wrote:
philipbenr wrote:Because they are too lazy to try and implement it into their game. Somebody has to be making regular builds of it/given a full tutorial of how to implement.
Yes, I actually find engine patches like this quite interesting. It's just that it isn't n00b friendly to install.
*Blushes*
Yes, it isn't. ;) Anyhoo, I hope that somebody does make a working build for a couple of n00bs out here...

*Looks at self* :)

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Inocudom wrote:There is no longer a patch of gsmapper. Instead, there is now a Minetest branch that contains it:
https://github.com/gsmanners/minetest/tree/gsmapper
Of course, this branch has not been updated for a few weeks, so it does not contain important bug fixes and improvements that were recently made in the master branch. Very big problem that is.
Actually, the patch still exists in the first post. However, it no longer works, as the code it was placed in has been changed.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Okay, don't want to double post, however, this (imo) needs another post!
I got gsmapper working with the latest minetest git. (As of 1/7/14, 18:09 GMT).
You can view the changes here: https://github.com/Amaz1/minetest/tree/ ... r-uptodate (It should be compilable, at least on Linux.)

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello
What´s with tomorrow?
Thanks,
JPR

;-)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Amaz wrote:Okay, don't want to double post, however, this (imo) needs another post!
You can view the changes here: https://github.com/Amaz1/minetest/tree/ ... r-uptodate (It should be compilable, at least on Linux.)
What would keep it from working on Windows and OSX?

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Inocudom wrote:
Amaz wrote:Okay, don't want to double post, however, this (imo) needs another post!
What would keep it from working on Windows and OSX?
Nothing! Linux was the only one I tried it on, and in fact, since I wrote this, Krock made a build for Windows with it in, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9515&p=146851#p146851

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

How would a programmer address the issue of unknown nodes causing gsmapper to crash? I guess something similar to what was done in minetestmapper could be a viable solution. When gsmapper comes back, he could use whatever solution is proposed.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Inocudom wrote:How would a programmer address the issue of unknown nodes causing gsmapper to crash? I guess something similar to what was done in minetestmapper could be a viable solution. When gsmapper comes back, he could use whatever solution is proposed.
It's trying to get a texture to use as a colour, and failing non-gracefully.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Jordach wrote:
Inocudom wrote:How would a programmer address the issue of unknown nodes causing gsmapper to crash? I guess something similar to what was done in minetestmapper could be a viable solution. When gsmapper comes back, he could use whatever solution is proposed.
It's trying to get a texture to use as a colour, and failing non-gracefully.
I am by no means a programmer, but I guess the only solution to that problem is to tell gsmapper to ignore unknown nodes, unknown entities, and unknown items.

Apparently, gsmapper must either hate a certain process or a certain node in the following mod:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8772

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... e9fdb1665a
Amaz, is your fork of the gsmapper branch up to speed with the master branch? In order for it to have the commit linked to above, it will need to be.

The player cursor in gsmapper appears to be invisible.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

gsmanners wrote:Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.
I knew that this would be the fate of gsmapper. I don't know of anyone who could or would continue work on it.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

gsmanners wrote: Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.
There *is* intrest for this. I just didn't get around to test it :-( Plus it was most likely written for an older version of MT and will need adjustments/rebase when integrating into the current version?

If I understood the comments regarding your patch to Minetest correctly, the problem with it was that it needs to be adjusted to the current version (that's always necessary as long as it's not part of the official or dev version) and that the liscence is GPL, while Minetest requires LGPL for the engine. Now, if you write "feel free to fork it or whatever" and "it is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it", that sounds to me as if LGPL would be acceptable to you as well? Don't give up so easily on enigne updates! It's not easy to get them through :-) Just keep going and get it integrated!
A list of my mods can be found here.