[Mod] weather_pack 0.3

xeranas

[Mod] weather_pack 0.3

by xeranas » Post

This weather mod tries to be simple (no water fluds, no growing snow). However it does basic indoor check, raining has sound.

Download and details on: https://gitlab.com/rautars/weather_pack
Licensing:
- Code: MIT
Mod dependencies: lightning (optional)
Tested on: Minetest 0.5.1

Last edited by xeranas on Sun Oct 06, 2019 13:36, edited 15 times in total.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod] weather-pack

by sofar » Post

Is there a reason to make it a modpack? 99% of people will want all the components, not just one or two...

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

sofar wrote:Is there a reason to make it a modpack? 99% of people will want all the components, not just one or two...
I'm that 1% which will not use all weathers at least until 3685 will be implemented.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

xeranas wrote:
sofar wrote:Is there a reason to make it a modpack? 99% of people will want all the components, not just one or two...
I'm that 1% which will not use all weathers at least until 3685 will be implemented.
that doesn't explain why it's a modpack.

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

To make weathers pluggable. While there no proper lua api for biomes check it makes sense to leave only weather which suits for your subgame. Deleting specific weather folder is most straightforward configuration to disable unwanted weather.

Second to that this mod is heavily modified fork (you can track history through github forks). It was already modpack originally and I decided leaved that way. I guess original authors dislike mods naming convention rules and I cannot blame them for that.

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

Can't you just make a config setting for weather, so that each type of weather can be enabled or disable with false/true? I did something similar in my subgame, but I don't know if it would work for a mod in any subgame.
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

I'm glad that so far ppl sees only mod file structure issue. :)

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Hi. Which version of the LGPL? LGPL 2.1, 2.1+ or 3.0?

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

Martin_Devil wrote:Hi. Which version of the LGPL? LGPL 2.1, 2.1+ or 3.0?
LGPL 2.1+

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I took this mod for a test drive last night and have to say I really like it a lot! No issues for me at all. I was most thrilled that the rain/snow didn't come into any of the structures that we had. All the weather was very immersive. And the sound clips were of great quality. I also noticed that I really couldn't see a drop in my fps when switching weather on and off. That's really great news for this eight year old laptop!
I hope you continue fine tuning this modpack as it's definitely a keeper.

burli

by burli » Post

Looks great. And I have a suggestion. Enable fog (if not enabled) and reduce the viewing range (if possible form a mod)

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

ExeterDad, thanks!
burli wrote:I have a suggestion. Enable fog (if not enabled) and reduce the viewing range (if possible form a mod)
Unfortunately, I did not find such functions on lua api. Maybe in future MT versions this would be possible (or somebody correct me if I missed).

burli

by burli » Post

To bad.

But what I want to know: why does weather mods use "sunlight_propagates"? Wouldn't it be better to use "walkable"?

ErrorNull
GitHub: ErrorNull0

by ErrorNull » Post

yes, we are in need of lightweight weather mod. I'll try this tonight. please keep this going!

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

burli wrote:But what I want to know: why does weather mods use "sunlight_propagates"? Wouldn't it be better to use "walkable"?
Mod indoor check depends on get_node_light method. I would like to use more releable check but unfortunately I did not found replacement. Reason why it's not releable is that nodes with 'sunlight_propagates=true' (like glass) propagates 100% sunlight and there no way to differentiate whetever above (or far above) specific position is glass or air block.

As a workaround I introduce option to to override nodes like 'default:glass' sunlight_propagates value. This is more like expermental and disabled by default. Such glass would be useless for warm house like structures.

Code: Select all

if minetest.setting_getbool("weather_allow_override_nodes") then
  if minetest.registered_nodes["default:glass"] then
    minetest.override_item("default:glass", {sunlight_propagates = false})
  end
Propper way would be update engine that only air could propagates sun 100%. But seeing how many pending tickets already in queue I do not expect such change anytime soon.

Weather particles already uses 'collisiondetection = true' so checking for walkable would not give any positive effect. Unless I misunderstand your concept.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I believe someone was talking about making particles collide with solid objects. If they do then weather particles would stop even if it is glass. I am hoping for this cause of mymonths. It has weather in it. If the do add it I will try to remember to let you know.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Don wrote:I believe someone was talking about making particles collide with solid objects. If they do then weather particles would stop even if it is glass. I am hoping for this cause of mymonths. It has weather in it. If the do add it I will try to remember to let you know.
Patch pending, will likely be in 0.4.15 and dev builds soon!

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

Don wrote:I believe someone was talking about making particles collide with solid objects. If they do then weather particles would stop even if it is glass. I am hoping for this cause of mymonths. It has weather in it.
Seems mymonths uses vanilla weather mod. I guess reason why this mod was not used 'collisiondetection = true' for particles (aside performance) is because particles is quite big and on collision big particle would stay for a while (until expiration) on ground.
sofar wrote:Patch pending, will likely be in 0.4.15 and dev builds soon!
What patch is about? Particle collide already works for glass blocks.

burli

by burli » Post

xeranas wrote:
Don wrote:on collision big particle would stay for a while (until expiration) on ground.
I saw this with this weather-pack mod. If rain particles hits the ground they stay there for a short moment

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

xeranas wrote:
sofar wrote:Patch pending, will likely be in 0.4.15 and dev builds soon!
What patch is about? Particle collide already works for glass blocks.
this patch adds an option to the particle called "collision_remove". If you set it to "true", then the particle will be removed immediately if it collides with something. It obviously requires the "collisiondetection" option to be set to "true" as well.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

this is the best weather mod i've ever seen ;) great job man!

Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

Rainy weather now extinguish fire (if fire directly under sky). For this purpose ABM was used. Should not effect performance much as fire nodes normally aren't in big numbers. However I leaved option to disable ABM registration:

weather_allow_abm=false

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Really like this mod as its very light weight but well done delivering all the atmosphere needed to make it feel as though its raining ect. Will be following this thread and excited to see further development on this mod. Personally i think all the elements are there, just needs some tweaking and bug fixes. I did get a small error although i think thunder may conflict with a 3d torches mod im using (not sure yet)

ERROR[Main]: mod "thunder" has unsatisfied dependencies:  "lightning"

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Dopium wrote:Really like this mod as its very light weight but well done delivering all the atmosphere needed to make it feel as though its raining ect. Will be following this thread and excited to see further development on this mod. Personally i think all the elements are there, just needs some tweaking and bug fixes. I did get a small error although i think thunder may conflict with a 3d torches mod im using (not sure yet)

ERROR[Main]: mod "thunder" has unsatisfied dependencies:  "lightning"
Mod dependencies: lightning (by sofar)

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Thanks for the quick response, all is good now.