[mod]Towns

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

[mod]Towns

by SonosFuer » Post

I am working on a towns mod, this mod will allow users to create towns and protection areas.

Features to be included before 1.0.0 release
-Town creation and deletion
-Town inviting, joining, leaving
-Town ranks (Owner/Mayor, Moderator/assistant, member/resident)
-Town land claim (Protection, /town home, assign land to player, player can buy land)
-PvP control on land claim
-Money integration (town bank, daily tax)
-Town chat

Future Features for 1.0.0+
-

I am still coming up with ideas for this mod, I would love to hear suggestions. I plan on having it integrate a money mod (potentially optionally integrate) separate from this one. I have one in progress although I just saw another one that I may look into trying to use instead.

I am also looking for help developing this, I am new to lua and modding and learning it is a slow up hill process that I am struggling with doing on my own.

I have a small start working uploaded to github https://github.com/apachano/minetest-town
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [mod]Towns

by Andrey01 » Post

It maybe really nice! You can add dependencies from other mods, for example cottages mod or add something by yourself.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

+1
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Please don't make hard dependencies on any mods, especially villages. That mod doesn't work the greatest in my experience.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

I don't plan on adding dependencies from many other mods, maybe integration down the road but that is it. As of right now I want to have a form of currency supported (I am working on my own mod for that but I recently saw a new one that I like) otherwise I plan on this being a light weight protection management system that takes a different approach from the ones I have seen.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Sounds good. I was thinking about implementing something similar but havn't found the time. The idea behind my approach would be: Take the areas mod as the basic protection mod. Protect a huge area - all the space the town will require. The founder can now issue a command like i.e. "/plotsize 16x32" and then place a special node. Facedir/param2 needs to be taken into account here. An area of the selected size will be protected inside the tow. The placed block allows players who pass by to "buy" the plot. Each player can buy one plot per town unless granted more by the founder.
A list of my mods can be found here.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

What I was thinking for land claim was to use the engines built in 16x16x16 blocks as claim areas. The town mayor would be able to claim blocks in the name of the town then assign them to townspeople. I really want to incorporate an economy into it so the town pays daily for the protection and the mayor is able to charge citizens daily for the plots. (Configurable of course)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

SonosFuer wrote: What I was thinking for land claim was to use the engines built in 16x16x16 blocks as claim areas.
Take a look at the landrush/landclaim mod. It already works on those 16x16x16 mapblocks.
SonosFuer wrote: The town mayor would be able to claim blocks in the name of the town then assign them to townspeople. I really want to incorporate an economy into it so the town pays daily for the protection and the mayor is able to charge citizens daily for the plots. (Configurable of course)
I'm not convinced that that would work. It's too contrary to the game concept. People log in when they have time to play and then build on their plots. A lot of real time may pass between logins. Protection that expires isn't really worth it. At least not for me. Either it's cheating on good builders by luring them to a place that just wastes and discards their efforts, or it's inviting rather shabby cobble huts. Some "payment" might be nice for RPG aspects, but that's about it.
A list of my mods can be found here.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

I was more approaching it from an RPG aspect actually, kind of reminiscent to towny or factions from minecraft. There are a lot of mods that just provide protection and do it well.

superqwerty11112
GitHub: superqwerty11112
In-game: superqwerty11112

by superqwerty11112 » Post

How is the mod going Sonos?