[Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 01:54

Working on soulbinding for a bit then naturia.
bloodmagic is staying as is for now, unless someone finds a bug.
 

User avatar
RSLRedstonier
Member
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 21:00
Location: some were in middle earth
GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by RSLRedstonier » Mon Jan 29, 2018 02:32

will soul binding be a method of letting the players go through some process to be able to retain certain items apon death?
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 03:58

RSLRedstonier wrote:will soul binding be a method of letting the players go through some process to be able to retain certain items apon death?

Yes. I know ftb came up with this, but minetest needs it.
(not really but it's cool)
edit: can't do. copyright.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 04:32

RSLRedstonier wrote:will soul binding be a method of letting the players go through some process to be able to retain certain items apon death?

sorry, can't do anymore.
copyright reasons
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:08

Game mechanics aren't copyrightable.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:14

Byakuren wrote:Game mechanics aren't copyrightable.

but everything else is, right down to the concept.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:19

PolySaken wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Game mechanics aren't copyrightable.

but everything else is, right down to the concept.

What concept? "A magic mod using blood"?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:22

Byakuren wrote:
PolySaken wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Game mechanics aren't copyrightable.

but everything else is, right down to the concept.

What concept? "A magic mod using blood"?

If your'e going to contest a point at least know what you're debating.
we were talking about the soulbinding mod.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:24

I didn't think you were talking about that because that was what I meant when I said "a game mechanic". Making an item not lost on death is a game mechanic.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 05:29

My point was that the concept in question was not the "BloodMagic" concept but the "Soulbinding " concept.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 06:09

PolySaken wrote:My point was that the concept in question was not the "BloodMagic" concept but the "Soulbinding " concept.

If by soulbinding you mean having items that you don't lose when you die, that is probably not copyrightable. If you are worried about the name, you can call it something else.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 06:26

Byakuren wrote:
PolySaken wrote:My point was that the concept in question was not the "BloodMagic" concept but the "Soulbinding " concept.

If by soulbinding you mean having items that you don't lose when you die, that is probably not copyrightable. If you are worried about the name, you can call it something else.

You can copyright game mechanics, but if you happen to be in america you can patent it instead.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 06:34

I suppose eating food to restore hunger is copyrightable too then, if something as generic as keeping items is copyrightable.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 07:15

Byakuren wrote:I suppose eating food to restore hunger is copyrightable too then, if something as generic as keeping items is copyrightable.

It's been used by too many people/companies, but yes theoretically.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Mon Jan 29, 2018 08:39

Notice:
I will not be updating this mod until the modpack it's for is complete.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by Byakuren » Tue Jan 30, 2018 03:38

What country's copyright laws are you considering?

You mentioned patents in the US, but it's unlikely that a modder would file a patent for such a game mechanic, given the costs. There are also originality criteria in granting a patent and it isn't clear to me that "soulbinding" is original enough. You could consider some MMOs with item-keeping mechanics, like the prayer in Runescape, or neurobound items in Star Sonata, to be prior art. Another criterion is whether an innovation would be "obvious" to somebody in the field. Soulbinding seems fairly obvious, given the goal of allowing the player to keep items on death within a magic mod.

Different originality criteria exist for copyright enforcement in the US, but as you implied, game mechanics are not copyrightable here.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Blood Magic [bloodmagic]

by PolySaken » Tue Jan 30, 2018 06:22

Byakuren wrote:What country's copyright laws are you considering?

You mentioned patents in the US, but it's unlikely that a modder would file a patent for such a game mechanic, given the costs. There are also originality criteria in granting a patent and it isn't clear to me that "soulbinding" is original enough. You could consider some MMOs with item-keeping mechanics, like the prayer in Runescape, or neurobound items in Star Sonata, to be prior art. Another criterion is whether an innovation would be "obvious" to somebody in the field. Soulbinding seems fairly obvious, given the goal of allowing the player to keep items on death within a magic mod.

Different originality criteria exist for copyright enforcement in the US, but as you implied, game mechanics are not copyrightable here.

If I were in america, I may well be allowed to use the name and mechanic. but in my country (not disclosing) I can't.
I'm done with this silly argument. Our countries have different laws, and I don't care anymore.
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken
 

User avatar
PolySaken
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 05:18
Location: djelibabi
In-game: PolySaken
 

Previous

Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests