[Mod] Nether [nether]

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

Re: [Mod] Nether [nether]

by cx384 » Post

0kk0 wrote: Furthermore, I'm encountering an error ...
I think the debug text would be helpful.
Can your read this?

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

0kk0 wrote:Furthermore, I'm encountering an error where when eating a Nether Fruit on top of the Siwontic Block of the secondary portal, I do not get transported back to the previous obsidian portal. Additionally, what do you mean when showing an image of the typical obsidian portal under the spoiler that says to use it only once?
If you don't get teleported at all, you might have made a mistake at the construction of the portal. The nether help is a little bit incorrect about the portal. If it's built correctly, it should teleport you to the surface or to the nether, depending on where you are, but not to another portal.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Desour
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

FYI, I've found (via its youtube video) a non-broken link to lkjoel's original mod: viewtopic.php?id=1710

If you click on the post title, you get viewtopic.php?p=21486#p21486 , similar to the broken link viewtopic.php?pid=21486 , but "pid" is now "p", this might be useful to know to fix other broken links.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

kristovish
GitHub: kristovish
In-game: kristovish

by kristovish » Post

hello! I have decided to go for this mod. and all good though when eating the blood fruit. Whether it's over the built portal or anywhere else, my game crash. and generates an error of the type:

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback item_OnUse(): /home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:393: attempt to call field 'teleport_player' (a nil value)
stacktraceback:
/home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:393: in function </home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:387>

I can't visit the nether, and the /to_hell command is also not recognized within my game.

What I can do? I can't find any information about it. and no one writes here for years...
I hope someone can guide me

Desour

by Desour » Post

kristovish wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 19:51
hello! I have decided to go for this mod. and all good though when eating the blood fruit. Whether it's over the built portal or anywhere else, my game crash. and generates an error of the type:

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback item_OnUse(): /home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:393: attempt to call field 'teleport_player' (a nil value)
stacktraceback:
/home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:393: in function </home/kristovish/.minetest/mods/nether/nether/items.lua:387>

I can't visit the nether, and the /to_hell command is also not recognized within my game.

What I can do? I can't find any information about it. and no one writes here for years...
Can't reproduce.
It says "AsyncErr:", so my guess would be that some other mod messes around with the new async stuff.

kristovish

by kristovish » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 18:11
kristovish wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 19:51

stacktraceback:

Can't reproduce.
It says "AsyncErr:", so my guess would be that some other mod messes around with the new async stuff.

hello! thanks for answering. the error is generated only when my avatar consumes the blood apple. The nether is generated without problems if I get there by teleporting or descending to the indicated depth. mobs or other structures spawn without problems. only the apple is the one that crashed my game. what could I use as a solution? remove the blood apple from the code?

Desour

by Desour » Post

kristovish wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 01:40
DS-minetest wrote:

hello! thanks for answering. the error is generated only when my avatar consumes the blood apple. The nether is generated without problems if I get there by teleporting or descending to the indicated depth. mobs or other structures spawn without problems. only the apple is the one that crashed my game. what could I use as a solution? remove the blood apple from the code?
You can try disabling other mods until it doesn't crash anymore. (And of course use the newest version of everything.)

kristovish

by kristovish » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 13:41
kristovish wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 01:40
DS-minetest wrote:

You can try disabling other mods until it doesn't crash anymore. (And of course use the newest version of everything.)

It's weird because when I use the blood apple only with the nether mod active. my game keeps crashing. and it keeps indicating that line in the code. Am I forgetting to activate some privilege or something?

Desour

by Desour » Post

kristovish wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 20:05
It's weird because when I use the blood apple only with the nether mod active. my game keeps crashing. and it keeps indicating that line in the code. Am I forgetting to activate some privilege or something?
You can't use a mod without its dependencies, so there were certainly more mods active than just nether.

Please provide some minimal steps to reproduce.

kristovish

by kristovish » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 21:46
kristovish wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 20:05

You can't use a mod without its dependencies, so there were certainly more mods active than just nether.

Please provide some minimal steps to reproduce.
Well when I said to test only nether, that included the dependencies that the mod required. which were glow_pack, riesenpilz and vector_extra. and default of course.

The first time I got the error was when I followed the steps to create the portal to the nether as specified by the mod. as soon as I stand in the center of the portal to eat the blood apple. the game crashes

this occurs when the character eats the apple. just the apple

when I tested the mod along with its dependencies only. the same thing happened. Eat the apple inside the portal or anywhere as simple food. my game crash showing the error.

stacktraceback:

I have looked at line 393 and 387 but nothing significant seems to be there...

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I decided to try this mod, but how do I build a portal?
cdb_894a100ddd76

Desour

by Desour » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 04:19
I decided to try this mod, but how do I build a portal?
Like here: https://github.com/HybridDog/nether-pac ... porter.png
The white 2 nodes in the middle are siwtonic.

@kristovish:
You are using mtg, right?
You could try debugging (i.e. by adding print statements here and there) to find out what's wrong.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Well, you mod sure as hell is convoluted.
DS-minetest wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 20:01
Like here: https://github.com/HybridDog/nether-pac ... porter.png
The white 2 nodes in the middle are siwtonic.
Yeah, this image isn't clear at all, looking at the guide(which I can only access reading the .lua file) it says the portal is built with:
25 empty nether wooden planks - This doesn't exist, the nether wooden planks are items used to craft nether wooden blocks, which I assume must be what goes in the portal.
16 black netherrack., 12 blue netherrack bricks, 2 siwtonic blocks and 8 cooked nether blood - Check.
8 red netherrack - Also don't exist, looking at the image it looks like regular Netherrack or Dirty netherrack but there is no node called Red netherrack, I went with the regular because it looks more red.
4 nether fruits - The texture is completely different from the one in the image, I spend some time trying to place 'Nether fruit without leaves' with no avail.

My portal look like this:
portal.png
portal.png (368.3 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

And when I try to use the portal it throw an error:

Code: Select all

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback item_OnUse(): .../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:393: attempt to call field 'teleport_player' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	.../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:393: in function <.../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:387>
cdb_894a100ddd76

Desour

by Desour » Post

AFAIK, the guide is currently not optimal.
j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 22:17
25 empty nether wooden planks - This doesn't exist, the nether wooden planks are items used to craft nether wooden blocks, which I assume must be what goes in the portal.
It does exist. You have to suck the blood out of the wooden planks that you get from the blood structures. Don't use the nether forest wood.
j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Also don't exist, looking at the image it looks like regular Netherrack or Dirty netherrack but there is no node called Red netherrack, I went with the regular because it looks more red.
The "regular" one is red. I guess the guide is not color-blind friendly.
j0j0n4th4n wrote:

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback item_OnUse(): .../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:393: attempt to call field 'teleport_player' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	.../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:393: in function <.../j0j0/.minetest/mods/biomes_underground/nether/items.lua:387>
What's biomes_ungerground?
And you are using minetest_game, with a texture pack, right?
I still can't reproduce that issue.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

What's biomes_ungerground?
And you are using minetest_game, with a texture pack, right?
I still can't reproduce that issue.
That is just a modpack, I have tons of mods so I separate them into meaningful folders for organization sake. This folder in specific is where I store any mods who add underground biomes, like: nether, underch, caverealms and df_caverns.
The "regular" one is red. I guess the guide is not color-blind friendly.
So is the dirty netherrack, like seriously they are nearly identical.

It does exist. You have to suck the blood out of the wooden planks that you get from the blood structures. Don't use the nether forest wood.
So I guess my portal was using the wrong nodes then... This may be why I run into that bug earlier, I'm gonna try "suck the blood out of the wooden planks".

I've using this mod on a flat world I use only to test mods, my portal is at position (-44.2, 3.5, -98.4) so it should still have plenty of space bellow for the nether in case you've been wondering. I can't help but notice how incredible hard it is to visit the nether with your mod, I assume every node for the portal would spawn in the 'overworld' at ground level, but still why use so many node types when you could have made it using one or two and made them either hard to craft or more rare in the world?
cdb_894a100ddd76

Desour

by Desour » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 23:18
So I guess my portal was using the wrong nodes then... This may be why I run into that bug earlier
No. Using the wrong nodes doesn't trigger such a crash.
The problem is rather something in your setup that is causing nether not to be fully loaded, or calling something in async env or similar. I can't find out what exactly is wrong though, because I'm not you.
j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 23:18
I can't help but notice how incredible hard it is to visit the nether with your mod, I assume every node for the portal would spawn in the 'overworld' at ground level, but still why use so many node types when you could have made it using one or two and made them either hard to craft or more rare in the world?
* It's not my mod. I'm just here to help you two with the crash.
* Going to nether is not hard. You just need some obsidian and a mese crystal fragment. (And then you can look into the nether help via chatcommand.) Escaping again is harder.
* I like the portal.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I just create a brand new world with just the nether mod (and it's dependencies), built the same portal I had before and run into the same crash. I'm using minetest 5.6 btw
* Going to nether is not hard. You just need some obsidian and a mese crystal fragment. (And then you can look into the nether help via chatcommand.) Escaping again is harder.
Oh Yeah, about that. The nether help doesn't help if you are not in the nether for some reason
Captura de tela_2022-07-29_15-49-31.png
Captura de tela_2022-07-29_15-49-31.png (520.16 KiB) Viewed 1892 times

And the obsidian with the mese crystal don't work on this mod, only the other nether mod.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Desour

by Desour » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 19:03
And the obsidian with the mese crystal don't work on this mod, only the other nether mod.
Then you're using some fork. Report your bug at that fork. :P
(Just read this forum topic's first post.)

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:

stack traceback:
Could you install the luacmd mod (https://github.com/HybridDog/luacmd) and execute these chatcommands in-game?

/grant singleplayer all
/lua print(dump(nether))
/lua io.write(dump(nether) .. "\n")
It should show something like this in the chat (using luacmd's overridden print) and terminal (using io.write):

{
	inform = <function>,
	start = -19640,
	grow_tree = <function>,
	max_spam = 2,
	info = true,
	grow_netherstructure = <function>,
	teleport_player = <function>,
	inform_all = true,
	buildings = -20018
}
This is the global "nether" table and should contain the "teleport_player" field among other fields.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Mine doesn't it.
Captura de tela_2022-08-14_17-53-54.png
Captura de tela_2022-08-14_17-53-54.png (310.15 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
I dunno why, all dependencies are in place. I updated my minetest Appimage to the released 5.6 and the mod is the zip file from the description so it should be ok.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 20:57
Mine doesn't it.
Captura de tela_2022-08-14_17-53-54.png

I dunno why, all dependencies are in place. I updated my minetest Appimage to the released 5.6 and the mod is the zip file from the description so it should be ok.
Your screenshot shows only the last part of the chat and thus only part of the table.
Anyways, I found and fixed the bug in the latest version of the mod. (please confirm if it works now)
https://github.com/HybridDog/nether-pac ... 9b6ddb34f0
Years ago I accidentally put return to the code outside of a function, so the portal code was simply ignored if damage was enabled on a fresh world. With disabled damage or on an existing world where a nether_players file exists the bug did not trigger.

Currently the nether traps players if damage is enabled and they even cannot leave with /teleport, /home, /spawn, travelnet devices or in similar ways. The only way to exit is to build and use a portal. On the other hand, with disabled damage, they can easily come and go with e.g. travelnet.
Should I add a setting to explicitly en- or disable the trapping behaviour?

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 14:04
Should I add a setting to explicitly en- or disable the trapping behaviour?
I would definitely say yes - it seems a bit odd to have it linked to the damage setting.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Thank you Hybrid Dog, it did solved my problem.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

I think the mod needs more content, however it is already better than the more popular nether mod, things I would like to see are, more biomes, better progression, and more things to get out of the nether, however I understand that this is supposed to be like the aether mod where things from the overworld dont work as well, but this mod should still get new biomes, maybe ash deserts with incredibly thorny cacti and maybe more things.
Yeet.

littlePrettyCat
GitHub: alwayshopeless
In-game: littlePrettyCat

by littlePrettyCat » Post

I created a portal, went into it, then died in the Nether and was teleported to the normal world. When I try to enter the portal again, it doesn't respond because there is a condition in the obsi_teleport_player function that ends it if the player is in Nether's player list. I may not understand something, but it seems to me that it is necessary to set some other criteria to determine whether the player is in the nether or not, the easiest option is to simply check the depth at which the user is and teleport him down if he above and vice versa. The second option is to watch the player's biome, and if he is in the Nether biome, then teleport him to it and vice versa. I recently got acquainted with Minetest, sorry if I don't understand something.
cdb_b870072d9f7f