Oh hai I'm new and how do you make mods?

cyberslayer

Oh hai I'm new and how do you make mods?

by cyberslayer » Post

I've seen so many great mods like redstone, nyanland, oil mod, nuke... so yeah anyway can somone tell me how to download the modding thing if there is one and how to make mods and where to do it because I'm confused and if anyone knows where there are some decent tutorials, please tell me.
Last edited by cyberslayer on Wed Feb 15, 2012 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

If you don't already understand C++ or lua scripting then forget it.
Keep calm and code python^_^

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

I think that many modders of minetest began the study of lua with writing simple mods

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Post

Death Dealer wrote:if you dont already understand C++ or lua scripting than forget it.

Do the complete opposite mate. I did'nt know shit about Lua scripting the day before yesterday...and already made my first mod, and added more to it! Just took some time, some questioning, and some gosh damn effort!

As for the program to edit the codes, Mr.Cyber, I simply googled "Lua script editor" and found "LuaEditor 2010", works nicely and simple feeling.
Last edited by Lunarhiro on Wed Feb 15, 2012 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Making Minetest mods is easy, yeah. :)
I use Notepad++, it supports a lot of programming languages. ;)

cyberslayer

by cyberslayer » Post

Thanks guys I'm gonna try to start working on a nether mod if I can figure out the portal code and how to make other worlds and add more mobs. Ummmmm can anyone gimme a mod with just 1 new mob let's say a zebra. That doesn't damage you so when I recieve the mod I'll change the textures and that.

cyberslayer

by cyberslayer » Post

Hey guys I just downloaded lua editor and when i try to start it up I get this msg: the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to teminate the aplication

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Post

If on vista, run as admin? :o Idk, cuz I'm on XP. xD

robert

by robert » Post

You could simply use Notepad++ like already recommended. It´s a great text editor and supports syntax highlighting for LUA.

cyberslayer

by cyberslayer » Post

@robert good idea
@lunarhiro im on xp too

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Post

Meh I might as well switch to notepad++ also then xD.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

cyberslayer wrote:Thanks guys I'm gonna try to start working on a nether mod if I can figure out the portal code and how to make other worlds and add more mobs. Ummmmm can anyone gimme a mod with just 1 new mob let's say a zebra. That doesn't damage you so when I recieve the mod I'll change the textures and that.
Why do you won't someone to make you a mod so badly? Use animal mod and replace the texture. Its real easy.
Keep calm and code python^_^

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Post

Death Dealer wrote:
cyberslayer wrote:Thanks guys I'm gonna try to start working on a nether mod if I can figure out the portal code and how to make other worlds and add more mobs. Ummmmm can anyone gimme a mod with just 1 new mob let's say a zebra. That doesn't damage you so when I recieve the mod I'll change the textures and that.
Why do you won't someone to make you a mod so badly? Use animal mod and replace the texture. Its real easy.
yep plenty of lil animals to play around with..just look at the sheep or cow or deer... or something xD

qyron

by qyron » Post

For Linux users, you can use gedit; its simple and expandable to insanity. For window$, I agree with the Notepad++ choice.

I still haven't dared to try and make a mod but I'm planning to do it.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.