[Mod] Nature [nature_pack] 1.3.0

neko259

[Mod] Nature [nature_pack] 1.3.0

by neko259 » Post

I've returned with the nature mod pack again! *_^

Now I just refactored it, hoping it will run a bit faster, but I'm taring requests cause don't know what to fix or add to it.

Links

Download: https://bitbucket.org/neko259/nature_pa ... e_pack.zip

Repository: https://bitbucket.org/neko259/nature_pack/

Changelog: https://bitbucket.org/neko259/nature_pa ... at=default

I'm also accepting pull requests.

P.S. Plantlife mods were removed (in the latest hg commit) as they are not updated and can be downloaded from their own repo. No need to hold them here.

Thanks!
Last edited by neko259 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 13:45, edited 3 times in total.

neko259

Re: [Mod] Nature

by neko259 » Post

BTW, I can't find the old mod thread, so I created this one. Was the forum wiped out?

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:BTW, I can't find the old mod thread, so I created this one. Was the forum wiped out?
The forum has been updated. Maybe the thread was removed, check using a search engine like google or here to find your thread. The forum search bar is not very effective.

Anyways, is nice to see old mods being updated :)
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Esteban wrote:Anyways, is nice to see old mods being updated :)
The funny thing is I don't even know if the code is still "good". Maybe some new features were added to the API. But the good thing is that it's still working so nothing was removed :D

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:
Esteban wrote:Anyways, is nice to see old mods being updated :)
The funny thing is I don't even know if the code is still "good". Maybe some new features were added to the API. But the good thing is that it's still working so nothing was removed :D
When was the last version you used? The game now has a lot of cool stuff to be released in 4.11: fire looks like MCs, node highlighting (no more black square), Meshes (3d models) can be used for nodes, and more! :D

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Esteban wrote:When was the last version you used? The game now has a lot of cool stuff to be released in 4.11: fire looks like MCs, node highlighting (no more black square), Meshes (3d models) can be used for nodes, and more! :D
Well, my mods were really updated a year or more ago. My mods are mostly for operating the default nodes, so I don't think the meshes or highlights are needed for me. What about farmesh? No changes were made to it and no chance to get in enabled in the future?

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote: Well, my mods were really updated a year or more ago. My mods are mostly for operating the default nodes, so I don't think the meshes or highlights are needed for me. What about farmesh? No changes were made to it and no chance to get in enabled in the future?
Farmesh got removed back in 4.8. Im not sure if it is going to be implemented in a near future, but I think there is a fork of minetest that still has farmesh.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Neko259, it is so very good to have you back here with us.

The following forks of Minetest exist now:
http://voxelands.com/
http://freeminer.org/

VanessaE has some aspects of your nature modpack in her plantlife modpack. You should see them sometime.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Inocudom wrote:The following forks of Minetest exist now:
Freeminer seems to be dead, there are no updates for very long and no servers in the official server list. But I see voxelands for the first time, I'll check it.

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:
Freeminer seems to be dead, there are no updates for very long and no servers in the official server list. But I see voxelands for the first time, I'll check it.
Freeminer is active (the download is very outdated), check their thread here. Inocudom can tell you more about it, I haven't used freeminer in some time :P

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Esteban wrote:
neko259 wrote:
Freeminer is active (the download is very outdated), check their thread here. Inocudom can tell you more about it, I haven't used freeminer in some time :P
If you have Windows, use the following build by Jojoa1997:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz38ss6inw7r4 ... 3.zip?dl=0

Freeminer has a new farmesh feature in it, as well as a HUD minimap. In an attempt to speed up graphics, vbo is also in it. Here, look at my configuration file for it to see what options need to be turned on in order for the new features to work:

Code: Select all

name = Inocudom
server_dedicated = false
mg_flags = trees, caves, v6_biome_blend, dungeons, v6_jungles
disable_fire = true
hud_map = true
hud_map_tracking = 1
hud_map_above = false
hud_map_alpha = 150
hud_map_scale = 2
hud_map_width = 300
hud_map_height = 300
#fullscreen = true
#screenW = 1360
#screenH = 768
enable_vbo = true
enable_damage = false
creative_mode = true
address = 104.153.104.221
anisotropic_filter = true
aux1_descends = false
doubletap_jump = false
enable_bumpmapping = true
enable_parallax_occlusion = true
enable_shaders = true
enable_waving_leaves = true
enable_waving_plants = true
enable_waving_water = true
fast_move = true
fixed_map_seed = 
generate_normalmaps = true
keymap_backward = KEY_KEY_K
keymap_chat = KEY_KEY_H
keymap_cmd = /
keymap_console = KEY_F10
keymap_drop = KEY_KEY_P
keymap_fastmove = KEY_KEY_G
keymap_forward = KEY_KEY_I
keymap_freemove = KEY_KEY_F
keymap_inventory = KEY_KEY_U
keymap_jump = KEY_SPACE
keymap_left = KEY_KEY_J
keymap_noclip = KEY_KEY_X
keymap_print_debug_stacks = KEY_KEY_E
keymap_rangeselect = KEY_KEY_R
keymap_right = KEY_KEY_L
keymap_sneak = KEY_KEY_N
keymap_special1 = KEY_KEY_O
mainmenu_last_selected_world = 3
maintab_LAST = multiplayer
menu_last_game = minetime
mg_name = v6
mip_map = true
preload_item_visuals = false
public_serverlist = true
remote_port = 30000
selected_world_path = /home/derek/.freeminer/worlds/comeuponmeconnie
viewing_range_nodes_min = 155
bilinear_filter = true
free_move = false
noclip = true
sound_volume = 1
trilinear_filter = false
fps_max = 60
wieldview_node_tiles = true
wieldview_update_time = 2
farmesh = 3
main_menu_tab = singleplayer
weather = false
main_menu_last_game_idx = 1
disable_wieldlight = false
3d_armor_update_time = 1
mouse_sensitivity = 0.2
mainmenu_last_selected_TP = 1
texture_path = 
lottarmor_node_tiles = true
lottarmor_update_time = 2
#more_threads = 0
enable_node_highlighting = true
keymap_zoom = KEY_KEY_Y

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Most of the nature modpack got included in the plantlife modpack, as Inocudom already said. Due to the huge amount of plants and the way plants can define how their environment ought to be, plantlife still isn't fast, so there's more than enough room for additional mods. Plantlife creates extremly nice landscapes you might enjoy visiting.

The flowers mod got included in minetest_game/minetest_next, so there's no need for an extra version anymore. Junglegrass got added to default. Cacti and junglegrass are part of default and grow back as well.

It would be great to have a very light-weight nature modpack which adds some additional nature but doesn't get as expensive as full plantlife does. Maybe you can do something there?
A list of my mods can be found here.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Sokomine wrote:Most of the nature modpack got included in the plantlife modpack, as Inocudom already said. Due to the huge amount of plants and the way plants can define how their environment ought to be, plantlife still isn't fast, so there's more than enough room for additional mods. Plantlife creates extremly nice landscapes you might enjoy visiting.

The flowers mod got included in minetest_game/minetest_next, so there's no need for an extra version anymore. Junglegrass got added to default. Cacti and junglegrass are part of default and grow back as well.

It would be great to have a very light-weight nature modpack which adds some additional nature but doesn't get as expensive as full plantlife does. Maybe you can do something there?
Flowers and junglegrass currently include more nodes that in the default mod. But I think I can just make an ABM to remove them from the world and use only default nodes.
Also I made vines flammable (the only way to get rid of them :D) and continue to refactor the code to make it easier to update and fix. After that I'll think of what to add. Now I've got an idea to count steps on the dirt with grass and make the most walked nodes look like a road.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

neko259 wrote: Flowers and junglegrass currently include more nodes that in the default mod. But I think I can just make an ABM to remove them from the world and use only default nodes.
Maybe these additional flowers could then be placed into one new mod so that they can be used in combination with minetest_game.
neko259 wrote: Also I made vines flammable (the only way to get rid of them :D) and continue to refactor the code to make it easier to update and fix.
Hmm. Regarding the vines mod, the ropebox is a very useful, very nice tool. The vines are more often in the way. Beeing able to craft the ropebox from i.e. string (gained from cotton plants from the farming mod which is also in default) might help. Vines could be optional then.
neko259 wrote: After that I'll think of what to add. Now I've got an idea to count steps on the dirt with grass and make the most walked nodes look like a road.
Please don't. There are already mods that add footsteps. It ended up with players digging up those ugly looking blocks and placing fresh dirt and/or trying to avoid running around where they actually wanted to.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Maybe these additional flowers could then be placed into one new mod so that they can be used in combination with minetest_game.
I have to rethink the purpose of my mod as I looked over the plantlife mod and it does the things were done in nature. Its bushes are prettier :)
Maybe I'll just concentrate on the growing and living stuff and will not introduce new nodes.
Hmm. Regarding the vines mod, the ropebox is a very useful, very nice tool. The vines are more often in the way. Beeing able to craft the ropebox from i.e. string (gained from cotton plants from the farming mod which is also in default) might help. Vines could be optional then.
They are already optional, you can always turn the mod off if you don't like it. But I agree the vines are useless for me too. Maybe they need to be removed.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A lightweight nature modpack would be very very welcome :-) One that concentrates on speed, while still looking nice and adding more nature to the default game.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Sokomine wrote:A lightweight nature modpack would be very very welcome :-) One that concentrates on speed, while still looking nice and adding more nature to the default game.
It's no problem to concentrate on speed. I just don't understand well what the mod should do. All that I wanted seems to be in the plantlife already, except tree growing and moss (don't know if it is not in plantlife yet).
Obviously moss, blossom and growing should stay in the mod. Bushes and vines can be removed. What else?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

neko259 wrote: It's no problem to concentrate on speed. I just don't understand well what the mod should do. All that I wanted seems to be in the plantlife already, except tree growing and moss (don't know if it is not in plantlife yet).
Obviously moss, blossom and growing should stay in the mod. Bushes and vines can be removed. What else?
Oh, your nature modpack was really nice for a long time! And I appreciate it a lot that at least some of the mods got included in minetest_game. What I personally would like to see is adding *some* more nature (perhaps those additional plants? Certainly the moss) into a fast modpack. plantlife does a very good job as creating beautiful landscape, but it's also so slow. Plantlife offers many conditions plants may use for spawning. Which sums up and thus gets expensive. Your modpack could come with less plants (relative to plantlife!), who are also less demanding on their sourroundings and thus spawn faster. Kind of like something between the basic nature now beeing part of minetest_game and the crowded plantlife :-)
Of course it's your modpack and your choice where to go!

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Well, you can just disable some mods from the plantlife and you will get a fast plantlife. But plantlife adds new plants, so I can concentrate on working with the existing ones. Just out of ideas now. Growing stone is too hardcore, footsteps already exist.

neko259

Re: [Mod] Nature [nature_pack]

by neko259 » Post

I'm looking to making fungus stone blocks in the dark caves that could give some nature light into the caves and corridors. For this I need 3 or 4 fungus texture I will overlay on the stone texture. The difference will be the fungus "level": the more it is grown the more light it will give. Could anyone please make the textures?

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:I'm looking to making fungus stone blocks in the dark caves that could give some nature light into the caves and corridors. For this I need 3 or 4 fungus texture I will overlay on the stone texture. The difference will be the fungus "level": the more it is grown the more light it will give. Could anyone please make the textures?
I can give a try!
What type of fungus you want? the classic view of fungus? moss looking?

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Esteban wrote:I can give a try!
I want a moss looking fungus cause it will act similar to moss. It will appear in the dark caves instead of the stone blocks and will "grow" (less bright fungus blocks will become brighter), and it will turn back to stone if the cave becomes too light (e.g. you put torches in there).

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:
Esteban wrote:I can give a try!
I want a moss looking fungus cause it will act similar to moss. It will appear in the dark caves instead of the stone blocks and will "grow" (less bright fungus blocks will become brighter), and it will turn back to stone if the cave becomes too light (e.g. you put torches in there).
The following texture was the moss overlay for my texture pack, but I removed it. (The black background was added to make texture more visible, it is not part of the texture)

Would you like this texture? Or a different one?

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Esteban wrote:Would you like this texture? Or a different one?
Could you make it in blue or violet colors? In my imagination the illuminating fungus is more bright, and blue is a "dark light" color. Does this sound reasonable?

Esteban

by Esteban » Post

neko259 wrote:
Esteban wrote:Would you like this texture? Or a different one?
Could you make it in blue or violet colors? In my imagination the illuminating fungus is more bright, and blue is a "dark light" color. Does this sound reasonable?
Sure! I just needed to make sure that you like the sprite, changing its color won't be a challenge! :D