Lua Tutorial [First Attempt]

tonyka

by tonyka » Post

Jordach wrote:
Calinou wrote:
tonyka wrote:Geany is the best in linux
Bluefish is also very good, but this is designed for web development, also has support for Lua...
Personally I use Mousepad - (Xfce's [too simple] text editor, and there doesn't seem to be any better solution for Xfce); gedit is a GNOME application, so it doesn't work well... I'm not a fan of text-based editors too.
Gedit works fine in XFCE.

Tried and tested. :)
if & not, Calinou is right, Xfce comes with devian distributed, but can also be used with gnome, you're probably using a gnome distro like Xubuntu (Xfce desktop + Ubuntu)... devian gedit works in, but not just as in gnome...
I personally use the LXDE desktop, is somewhat less light, but for my niece looks more like Windows...
Last edited by tonyka on Wed Aug 22, 2012 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
My mod: [MOD]3D Forniture 1.0
Download: 3DForniture_v_1.0.zip
Page development (European Castilian):
Moviliario 3D (proyecto 3D Forniture)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Can you put a link to my published version, http://tinyurl.com/mt-tut ?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

done
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

davegoopot
GitHub: davegoopot

by davegoopot » Post

Hi,

I'm looking to use Minetest as an introduction to Lua programming tutorial for a local kids programming group. From a quick look this tutorial seems to be a great starting point. Is it still up-to-date enough with the current Minetest release (0.4.6 at the time of writing)?

Thanks,

Dave.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Hi!

Minetest programming really is a great, easy and fun introduction to Lua Programming. This tutorial should still work, but is incomplete as tons of more features have been added.
It was reworked and published at at the Minetest API page. That page should always contain latest information about the Lua API. For further reference, take a look at doc/lua_api.txt in the download package.
I'm sort of interested the idea of teaching kids programming using minetest... Could you report how it works out once you tried?

Jeija

davegoopot

by davegoopot » Post

Thanks for the pointer. I will report back on how it goes.

Regards,

Dave.

Matsetes

by Matsetes » Post

Very useful, is it still in develop?

davegoopot

by davegoopot » Post

@Jeija I'd like to tweak and update the tutorial for the young age range that we get at our code club. Are you okay with me doing that?

If you are interested I'll send a pull request to GitHub with my changes once I'm at a suitable point.

Regards,

Dave.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

davegoopot wrote:Are you okay with me doing that?
Totally!
If you are interested I'll send a pull request to GitHub with my changes once I'm at a suitable point.
That would be great! Could you seperate it somewhat from the current version so that there is an extra/easier tutorial for kids?

davegoopot

by davegoopot » Post

Jeija wrote:
davegoopot wrote:Are you okay with me doing that?
Totally!
That would be great! Could you seperate it somewhat from the current version so that there is an extra/easier tutorial for kids?

I've just submitted a GitHub pull request with my beginners version of the tutorial. Let me know you think.

Dave.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Looks good, I like it: Merged.
Looks suitable for beginners, but is still quite short and the documentation you link too isn't really useful for total beginners, but it's the best we have. Some basic Lua guide would also be quite useful (but is subject to add later on, not now),
Last edited by Jeija on Tue Apr 30, 2013 14:44, edited 1 time in total.