Idea for modding?

RAPHAEL

Idea for modding?

by RAPHAEL » Post

I was just thinking, what if a mod could be coded to load textures from web storage or image hosting sites instead of from the minetest server. Could provide faster connect times and lower server load since most minetest servers are locally hosted over residential internet.

So would this be possible or a good idea?
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Good idea, but, what if the server also hosted the images, same load, but nice idea, I like it, and I would love to lower server load time.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

It's a good idea. One of the first places I ran into this is with running CounterStrike servers and the "sv_downloadurl=" cvar that allowed the downloading of maps & files from a different web host than the actual server. It helped both the server playability and usually the webserver had better throughput for file hosting.
Last edited by RabbiBob on Sat Feb 25, 2012 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

jn

by jn » Post

We already have the texture cache, which "remembers" textures when they are downloaded from a server.
The problem with it is currently that it is extremely inefficient when switching between servers with different texture packs, because the textures are stored by their file names, which, of course, often collide (which always happens between texture packs); but I have a little patchset against this inefficiency (feedback appreciated): http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest-c55/jn.git ... xturecache