[Mod][Merged] Valleys Mapgen [valleys_mapgen]

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod][Merged] Valleys Mapgen [valleys_mapgen]

by duane » Post

paramat wrote:I tried boating through mgvalleys and the rivers are too narrow, when a jungletree generates with a root in the river it is impassable.
Also, the noise controlling the river pattern is too small scale, creating little loops.
The size of the river loops is mostly up to personal taste, but I'd recommend doubling the spread, as I did up there.

As for the boating, you're going to have to increase the default river size to at least eight to make the rivers at all navigable, and even then you're likely to have a lot of problems. I wouldn't recommend making it much higher than that though, because I seem to get a lot of overflows when I set it up to ten. I don't know why that should be.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

burli

Re: Plains

by burli » Post

duane wrote:I've never seen a completely flat plain in reality (and I live in the Great Plains).
I've never seen a guy carrying thousands of cubicmeter dirt and other stuff with several 100 thousand tonns of weight ;-)
duane wrote:If you want more generally flat terrain, try these noises (again, it will not actually be flat):

mg_valleys_np_rivers = 0, 1, (512, 512, 512), -6050, 5, 0.6, 2.0
mg_valleys_np_inter_valley_fill = 0, 1, (512, 1024, 512), 1993, 6, 0.8, 2.0
this looks nice

Attachments
screenshot_20160617_075745.jpg
screenshot_20160617_075745.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Mapgen parameters are very customizable. I'm sure that some settings will give you the plains you expect. But the mapgen settings are absolutely not user-friendly :-/ so much that I still have difficulties in finding the good settings.
What we do really need is simplified mapgen settings. The current mapgen settings interface is based on 10 to 20 noises per mapgen, and every noise is defined by 7 to 9 data. That might be good sometimes, but generally that's annoying. We need simple settings with recognizable names, like "mountain heigth", "steepness", "distance between rivers", … that, when changed, tune some noise parameters to produce the wanted effect, for example increasing the "distance between rivers" would increase the spread (numbers in brackets) of mgvalleys_np_rivers. The original "advanced" mapgen settings should still stay available.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

burli

by burli » Post

So what you need is an algorithm that translates a slider position e.g. for mountain height into noise settings. No idea if this is possible

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

That's possible, obviously, but it needs the mapgen settings system to be reworked.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Increasing the spread of the river pattern will automatically increase river width, x2 would be fine and enough.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Rivers are the great geomorphological equalizers: they break down hills and deposit them near sealevel, building out deltas. The Netherlands is nothing but a large delta, but other transport mechanisms can make flat-ish looking landscapes, such as waves and wind.

What I mostly miss in minetest at the moment isn't large flat areas, because those exist, but just areas that only have (up to) 4-5 nodes altitude deltas total over 100+ nodes. Minetest's meadows have no vertical range limits and cliffs often break them out. The shape of meadows also is clearly still a curve or slope, while a terrace is a far more natural feature for true geological flat regions (usually river banks forming them).

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

sofar wrote:Rivers are the great geomorphological equalizers: they break down hills and deposit them near sealevel, building out deltas. The Netherlands is nothing but a large delta, but other transport mechanisms can make flat-ish looking landscapes, such as waves and wind.

What I mostly miss in minetest at the moment isn't large flat areas, because those exist, but just areas that only have (up to) 4-5 nodes altitude deltas total over 100+ nodes. Minetest's meadows have no vertical range limits and cliffs often break them out. The shape of meadows also is clearly still a curve or slope, while a terrace is a far more natural feature for true geological flat regions (usually river banks forming them).
I have been playing around with mapgens attempting to create the "perfect" landscape (similar to what you describe, I think?)
Nice, large, low, buildable areas, with a wide river running through it, with maybe 5-6 or 7 nodes high banks along it's edge..., with gradual rolling hills in the distance and eventually mountains in the far background.
A "perfect" scene to build towns with small industrial works along the river, and to build nice bridges across, etc..
It becomes to monotonous if one has to shape a river out. I have started it a few times (even used the ultimate weapon mod to try to speed it up) but that ultimate weapon can be unruly :D
But to have said river open into a nice marsh area and into a large body of water would be really nice
A Wonderful World

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

sofar wrote:What I mostly miss in minetest at the moment isn't large flat areas, because those exist, but just areas that only have (up to) 4-5 nodes altitude deltas total over 100+ nodes.
Deltas are possible, but it needs to add at least one noise. We can sometimes find a marsh like this, similar to a delta:ImageThat's due to a noise that has a very low spread distance (actually that's the river noise #2 that has 5 octaves and a high persistance). So we need to add a noise value with a very low spread, the value would be usually small and would become much bigger on low altitude, for example with v1=v0*e^(-elev²). I'll try this.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

+100
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Gael de Sailly, are you interested in improving the noise parameters of core valleys? The main change needed being increasing the 'rivers' noise spread for wider, boatable, rivers and a larger river pattern with fewer small loops and circles. Just doubling 'rivers' noise may be enough. I was going to tune the mapgen myself but i think you're the ideal person.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

paramat wrote:Gael de Sailly, are you interested in improving the noise parameters of core valleys? The main change needed being increasing the 'rivers' noise spread for wider, boatable, rivers and a larger river pattern with fewer small loops and circles. Just doubling 'rivers' noise may be enough. I was going to tune the mapgen myself but i think you're the ideal person.
Of course I'm interested :)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> I tried boating through mgvalleys and the rivers are too narrow, when a jungletree generates with a root in the river it is impassable.
Also, the noise controlling the river pattern is too small scale, creating little loops.

^ Those are the main issues.
I can make the actual PRs and do the complex git stuff so all you need to do is concentrate on the time-consuming work of tuning the noise parameters.
Improvements to the mapgen code can be discussed too.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

This is what I have for now:

Code: Select all

mgvalleys_np_rivers = 0, 1, (384, 384, 384), -6050, 4, 0.25, 4.0
mgvalleys_river_size = 4
mgvalleys_np_valley_profile = 0.4, 0.4, (512, 512, 512), 777, 1, 1.0, 2.0
mgvalleys_np_valley_depth = 6, 4, (512, 512, 512), -1914, 1, 1.0, 2.0
mgvalleys_np_inter_valley_slope = 0, 1, (256, 256, 256), 746, 3, 0.5, 2.0
Rivers are wider and have small meanders and irregular riverbanks. The terrain has also been made steeper. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

No rush, you have until 0.4.15 to experiment.

EDIT I got this:

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

paramat wrote:I got this:

That's still not what I expected… I'll work on it this today again.

burli

by burli » Post

The lua version has no specific biomes, right? Plants are just hard coded by values

burli

by burli » Post

Lua Valleys is sometimes a little bit messy. Don't know what that mean.

I didn't found a real desert or savanne, just small spots of desert sand or dry grass. And I found a small spot of snow which is also a little bit odd

How can I change this?
Attachments
screenshot_20160628_203012.jpg
screenshot_20160628_203012.jpg (538.12 KiB) Viewed 855 times

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I am very excited to see wider rivers, with far less looping... I'm following this dev closely : )
I LOVE building bridges...
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

burli wrote:Lua Valleys is sometimes a little bit messy. Don't know what that mean.

?
LOL
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

burli wrote:Lua Valleys is sometimes a little bit messy. Don't know what that mean.

I didn't found a real desert or savanne, just small spots of desert sand or dry grass. And I found a small spot of snow which is also a little bit odd

How can I change this?
I like this kind of biomes. They are simply places where dirt thickness falls to zero, leaving stone apparent.
Maybe you don't like the fact that 1 node out of 2 is grass (I do but I can understand that some people don't like it). A random factor is added to the dirt thickness value for every node (in mapgen.lua line 394) I'll add a way to tweak that.
If you don't want bare stone, you can tweak noise 7, by increasing the first parameter (average dirt thickness) and/or decreasing the second (amplitude of variation), like this:

Code: Select all

vmg_noise_7 = 5, 1, (256,256,256), 1605, 3, 0.5, 2
Dirt thickness is also decreased by elevation, so you should also change vmg_average_stone_level, that is usually 180, to a higher value like 400.

burli

by burli » Post

Thank you for explanation, but you misunderstand me a little bit. I just want to know why that happens.

But I can't find any larger deserts or savannah (what's the plural?). That's what I want to change.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I wrote:A random factor is added to the dirt thickness value for every node (in mapgen.lua line 394) I'll add a way to tweak that.
Done. The setting is "dirt_random_factor". 0 = clear limit between grass and stone. 1 is default.

Tomas Brod
In-game: Brod

by Tomas Brod » Post

How much of functionality is currently ported to the mapgen_valleys.cpp ?
(another way) Which one of the current versions is better? What are the gains of using (slower?) Lua version?
Thank you. I like this mapgen the most. The overview map by paramat looks good.
I did experiments with real-flowing rivers but unfortunately my algorithm is not chunk-local thus did not get far.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

This is the original Lua version, created more than a year ago. It has been merged in the core on January, thanks to paramat and duane. I've somewhat dropped the Lua version after this date (so it's a little outdated but should still work). But all has not been merged. In fact, the C++ valleys mapgen has only the terrain from Lua VMG. It uses the core's biome system (like v7) but with temperature decreased by elevation and humidity increased near the rivers, like in Lua VMG.
Lua VMG has a different biome system, more plants, and a different way to generate trees; that has not been merged. So, for me both are interesting. I may use the Lua VMG to experiment some new features.
Tomas Brod wrote:I did experiments with real-flowing rivers but unfortunately my algorithm is not chunk-local thus did not get far.
Rivers are strictly the same between both versions. They are unfortunately not "real-flowing".
You can see the Canyon Mapgen by MillersMan, that implements real-flowing rivers. It still generates some strange square cliffs, but seems very promising. But I don't manage to understand the code. I would love to see a mix between both mapgens.