[mod] Mudbrick [mudbrick]

Thermal_Shock

[mod] Mudbrick [mudbrick]

by Thermal_Shock » Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:59

This mod allows the player to create mudbricks and dry them in the sun.

The mod is just a port of a small part of my game Decoblocks over to Minetest Game. Since a forum search didn't turn up anything similar to it.

The bricks are created using dirt, wheat, any sand block, and a bucket of water. The empty bucket is returned to the player after crafting.

The bricks are then used to fill the crafting grid creating a wet mudbrick block. This block is then placed on the ground to dry.

With the dry mudbricks the player can create stair and slab variants of the block.

Depends: default, farming, bucket, stairs

License of code and textures: WTFPL

Alternate Mediafire Download.
Attachments
mudbrick R2.zip
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by Thermal_Shock on Mon Apr 06, 2015 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

cx384

GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

Re: [mod] Mudbrick [mudbrick]

by cx384 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:53

This mod is nice but i don't like the crafting recipe. :/
You should use a clay block instead of dirt.
Can your read this?

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Sun Apr 05, 2015 18:26

cx384 wrote:This mod is nice but i don't like the crafting recipe. :/
You should use a clay block instead of dirt.

The idea is that the mudbrick acts as a cheaper alternative to clay based bricks for the player. That's the primary reason for the recipe.

I had also sort of based it on the Great Mosque of Djenné. They just use mud pulled from a nearby riverbank and mix it with straw for their type of mudbrick.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 18:30

Seems like a sensible recipe for mud brick to me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudbrick
Although I think wheat is a bit expensive. Regular grass grows all over the place in Minetest.
Everyone has a opinion eh?

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Sun Apr 05, 2015 18:34

ExeterDad wrote:Seems like a sensible recipe for mud brick to me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudbrick
Although I think wheat is a bit expensive. Regular grass grows all over the place in Minetest.

Straw from the farming mod maybe?

or you could make a cheaper recipe by cooking/drying grass or leaves
for a substandard-quick straw type material

edit:: maybe increase the amount of bricks
so that at least six blocks can be rendered from the crafting recipe

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Sun Apr 05, 2015 18:50

ExeterDad wrote:Although I think wheat is a bit expensive. Regular grass grows all over the place in Minetest.

Grass is what I actually use in my Decoblocks game. However in Minetest Game grass isn't as easily farmed as wheat. Grass does spread, but at a rather slow pace.

I'm quite happy to hear them. I like having my ideas challenged.

Napiophelios wrote:Straw from the farming mod maybe?

That would make it more expensive to craft since straw requires 9 wheat.

edit:: maybe increase the amount of bricks
so that at least six blocks can be rendered from the crafting recipe

That opens the question of how cheap do we want to make the blocks. I'm finding the only thing that really hampers production is the water bucket. Since it needs to be refilled after crafting. Once the player sets up a decent wheat field they're pretty much set.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Mon Apr 06, 2015 00:40

This is creative. I like it!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Apr 06, 2015 04:22

Nice mod. I've always liked brick blocks for building, and those are a very natural, cheap form of them. As for the straw required, you might also accept cottages:straw_mat as a replacement for wheat as that's that what you get when you put harvested wheat in a threshing place from my cottages mod and hit that with a stick until it seperates into wheat seeds and layers of straw.

Please also provide a download link. The one listed doesn't work - it leads to Mediafire, and that's broken by design (requires JavaScript for a download). You can also attach the mod to your forum posting.
A list of my mods can be found here.

12Me21

GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:42

maybe make multiple recipes using different types of grasslike items.

It would be cool if the wet bricks were falling nodes, so you actually need to dry them before use.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Mon Apr 06, 2015 15:50

Your mod is great the way it is.
If you do change the crafting I would say leave your craft as is and add another one for group:leaves instead of wheat.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Mon Apr 06, 2015 21:45

Sokomine wrote:Nice mod. I've always liked brick blocks for building, and those are a very natural, cheap form of them. As for the straw required, you might also accept cottages:straw_mat as a replacement for wheat as that's that what you get when you put harvested wheat in a threshing place from my cottages mod and hit that with a stick until it seperates into wheat seeds and layers of straw.

To be honest I rarely ever touch Minetest Game. So I'm not aware of how common it is for a mod to accommodate other mods. My basic viewpoint is that it's something better left to the modpackers. That way they can change and balance the recipes in their pack to their liking in order to fit their vision of what they want. Fortunately with the Minetest engine it's trivially easy.

Please also provide a download link. The one listed doesn't work - it leads to Mediafire, and that's broken by design (requires JavaScript for a download). You can also attach the mod to your forum posting.

I had completely forgotten about forum attachments. Guess I'm still stuck in the early 2000s BBS mindset in that regard. I'll edit the OP to attach the file and leave the Mediafire link as a backup.

12Me21 wrote:maybe make multiple recipes using different types of grasslike items.

I'm considering that. The primary recipe should be something renewable and farmable. But I'm open to the idea of using whatever plant material can be scavenged by the player.

It would be cool if the wet bricks were falling nodes, so you actually need to dry them before use.

I rather like that idea. I've added it to the current download.

Don wrote:Your mod is great the way it is.
If you do change the crafting I would say leave your craft as is and add another one for group:leaves instead of wheat.

That brings up an interesting real world question. Mudbrick is typically used in areas lacking wood as a building material. Are leaves and branches suitable for mudbrick?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Apr 07, 2015 19:57

l like it

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮