[Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

Re: [WIP][MOD] Crops

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Nicely done to the corn. your welcome giving idea too.
I might think up some more Crops ideas to later.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Progress on tomatoes:

I'm not entirely happy yet with the textures, but overall the visual appearance is what I want it to be. The wilted plant is in the back.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

From what I can see of the texture of the tomato it looks good, but I agree the plants seem a little off. I think it might be because the tomatoes on the plant aren't growing below the leaves like they do in this picture.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Nathan.S wrote:From what I can see of the texture of the tomato it looks good, but I agree the plants seem a little off. I think it might be because the tomatoes on the plant aren't growing below the leaves like they do in this picture.
There's very little space to move them around, I've played a bit with the leaf color, which made it a little bit clearer. I can see if moving the tomatoes themselves down helps, but 16x16 isn't much space ;)

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I know what you mean, I tried my hand at some insects, it was really tricky.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I'm probably going to stick with this for a while. It's got a lot more color depth and spread, and looks a lot better than the first texture set. I did pull the lower tomato down, but left the top one up high as I intended the top stem to have it hanging from, which it does now...

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

The tomatoes look nice.
I like how real you are making the plants.
Awesome work
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Keep it up sofar, it is looking nice, and this might very well over-ride all the other farming mods that I have tried.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

philipbenr wrote:Keep it up sofar, it is looking nice, and this might very well over-ride all the other farming mods that I have tried.
Thanks. Please let me know what you'd like to see added - I'm basically looking for ideas.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Cucumbers, cabbage, peppers would all sound nice, what about a ground crop though, like potatoes or something that grows in the ground? No idea how that would be pulled off, but would be interesting to see done.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Nathan.S wrote:...what about a ground crop though, like potatoes or something that grows in the ground? No idea how that would be pulled off, but would be interesting to see done.
That sounds cool. I think what I'd do is replace the soil under the plant with like a, "dirt_and_potatoes," node once it reaches a particular level of maturity. When dug, that node would drop both dirt and the food item. An ABM could rot away the, "dirt_and_potatoes," node back to soil eventually if the plant is removed.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
Nathan.S wrote:...what about a ground crop though, like potatoes or something that grows in the ground? No idea how that would be pulled off, but would be interesting to see done.
That sounds cool. I think what I'd do is replace the soil under the plant with like a, "dirt_and_potatoes," node once it reaches a particular level of maturity. When dug, that node would drop both dirt and the food item. An ABM could rot away the, "dirt_and_potatoes," node back to soil eventually if the plant is removed.
Why not have the farmer:

1. cut off the "greens" and discard them
2. dig out the potatoes of the dirt

This is in line with the 2-step harvesting of most of the other plants I've made thus far. At step 2 the mod would replace the potato dirt with dirt without leaving a hole - a hole in the ground wouldn't make much sense, and it's not needed - it's fairly simple to implement.

example of how it would look:

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Cucumbers, cabbage, peppers would all sound nice, what about a ground crop though, like potatoes or something that grows in the ground? No idea how that would be pulled off, but would be interesting to see done.
I really like the idea of cabbages. They are a really basic food and really mundane, around since forever (dark ages) and grown in lots of areas. Very appealing to add them.

Cucumbers and peppers are a bit exotic, plus I have no idea how to draw them to give them a distinct look that stands out.

I was working on beanpole beans a bit:

1. combine 4 sticks to make a beanpole
2. plant beanpole on soil - creates 2-block high beanpole A-frame
3. punch bean seeds on beanpole
4. wait for bean plant to grown up to top of 2-pole beanpole
5. dig beanpole beans to harvest beans
6. beanpole bean is now wilted
7. dig again to get 3-4 sticks

So this would be a more high-effort crop. I'll likely make it yield a bit more food value per harvest. The added benefit of requiring a regular supply of sticks forces players to do something else than harvesting crops, as it needs wood.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

sofar wrote:Why not have the farmer:

1. cut off the "greens" and discard them
2. dig out the potatoes of the dirt
Yeah, that's basically what I meant. If you dig the plant (the greens), then EVENTUALLY the potatoes could decay into soil, but in the meantime you could dig (harvest) them. I suppose the mature plant should delete itself if the roots are dug while leaving the plant in place too.
sofar wrote:This is in line with the 2-step harvesting of most of the other plants I've made thus far. At step 2 the mod would replace the potato dirt with dirt without leaving a hole - a hole in the ground wouldn't make much sense, and it's not needed - it's fairly simple to implement.
Yeah, that could work too. I was thinking the player would get the dirt in inventory with the potato, but it'd be less annoying to leave the dirt and not make the player replace it I guess. Besides, I don't know if you use soil (as in farming), but if so: that doesn't go in inventory, and you could replace the potato dirt with soil instead of normal dirt and leave it ready for planting again.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Potatoes are coming along nicely. This is a quick draft but I'm really happy how this came out in barely 1-2 hours of work and testing.

The plants themselves don't drop anything. Only if the plant matures can you dig potatoes from the soil. If you can reach the soil from the side you can save yourself one dig by digging the soil as that will remove the plant from the top, but otherwise you need to dig twice: once to remove the plant, once to dig out the potatoes.

You get 3-5 potatoes. Each potato gives one (set of) "potato eyes" which are the clones that can grow back to potatoes.

The plant itself is purposedly drawn "low" and not as a full block as that's how the plant grows without support, mostly close to the ground.

Be careful not to dig the plant when there's flowers! You have to wait until the soil below shows potatoes. It's fairly easy to see the difference, though.

But, I still need to add some cooking recipes for potatoes, though.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

This mod is really coming along nicely.

While experimenting with your crops I was wondering how to farm more effective ingame and it accured to me there is a nice real life system that could make this mod challenging complicated. Ever heard of Companion planting? There are extensive tables for this and asking a dedicated gardener who is really into this will guarantee an endless subject.
Maybe something like the Three Sisters of northern america would offer a nice starting point. Of course the possabilities are near endless as this little list may show. Not to forget the mesoamerican Milpa system.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

twoelk wrote:This mod is really coming along nicely.

While experimenting with your crops I was wondering how to farm more effective ingame and it accured to me there is a nice real life system that could make this mod challenging complicated. Ever heard of Companion planting? There are extensive tables for this and asking a dedicated gardener who is really into this will guarantee an endless subject.
Maybe something like the Three Sisters of northern america would offer a nice starting point. Of course the possabilities are near endless as this little list may show. Not to forget the mesoamerican Milpa system.
I'm well aware of companion planting - I haven't applied it in real life yet but I may in the future.

Beans are next on my list. Squash and cabbage I'd like to do as well, so it would be fairly easy to implement a three sisters type of augmented grow rate: All I'd have to do is create a new ABM with higher growth rate that triggers when companion crops are nearby. Since the ABM system already has all the needed parts to do that, this is really simple.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I'm working on beanpole/green beans right now. These green climbing vine beans grow on 2-block high beanpoles that need to be crafted (from sticks). This is a plant you can't actually walk through, giving it a bit of a space challenge (you can't plant a 3x3 square for instance as you won't be able to harvest the middle block.

Screenshots coming soon when I finish textures.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Green Beans.

These green beans are unnaturally green, but there's so many of them that grow on a vine! Sadly, these beans don't grow beans unsupported, so you stick some sticks together to make a beanpole, something like this way:

Code: Select all

empty empty empty
stick empty stick
stick empty stick
There, that should help the viney bean plant to grow to 2 meters high. It has remarkable purple flowers, that pop all over the plant just before the beans grow.

Sadly, once the beans are picked, this plant turns into an unusable mess that makes it hard for the next plant to grow on the beanpole, so you salvage the beanpole's sticks after harvesting in order to make more beanpoles again. It's a bit of work, but worth it, these beans are delicious!

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

You are on a roll sofar. Nice work
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Can't say more than just..

Continue this great project!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Great work Sofar.

I might integrate some of your ideas, but I won't be using the whole mod as my game is based in medieval Europe and I use 32x textures. Someone else mentioned Africa - it would be nice to see farming that supports flora from continents other than the Americas via add-on modpacks.
Grailtest is dreaming ...

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

afflatus wrote:Great work Sofar.

I might integrate some of your ideas, but I won't be using the whole mod as my game is based in medieval Europe and I use 32x textures. Someone else mentioned Africa - it would be nice to see farming that supports flora from continents other than the Americas via add-on modpacks.
So the default game is 16x16, therefore mods should be 16x16 textures by default as well, obviously. Having mods use 32x32 textures makes absolutely no sense (and looks terribly out of place).

It should be easy to make 32x32 textures and include them in your texture pack, though.

As for medieval europe, yeah, if you try to be historically accurate, you'd have to remove the tomatoes, corn, potato (unless 1600s at least) and melons. You can use the green beans, though. You'd also have to remove the cotton from the default game.

TenPlus1
GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Sofar: would it be ok if I use your beanpole crop in my Farming Redo mod ?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

sofar wrote: As for medieval europe, yeah, if you try to be historically accurate, you'd have to remove the tomatoes, corn, potato (unless 1600s at least) and melons. You can use the green beans, though. You'd also have to remove the cotton from the default game.
Yes, that's a problem. My medieval villages will eventually get traders which will sell these fruits - although that's historically wrong. Guess we have to focus less on historical correctness there and just add those plants which have good textures.

The mod looks very nice. Please also add "farming" to its title so that it may be found when searching for mods of that kind! Please tell me once it's finished so that I might add it to the villages and their build chest. Hope your nodes do follow some naming convention (some mods are very...creative...in that regard :-/).
A list of my mods can be found here.