[Mod] Thirsty [thirsty] (WIP)

Ben

Re: [Mod] Thirsty [thirsty] (WIP)

by Ben » Post

Nathan.S wrote:I thought I had seen you posting about loosing more thirst depending on location, maybe that was one of the mana threads
Could be – I had talked about gaining and losing mana depending on location, but nothing is coded yet. And as prestidigitor said, some other thirst mods do just that.

Ben

by Ben » Post

Version 0.7.0 released

This one completes the tiers, so all features should be included. Warning: the last tier is coded quite inefficiently; it might not work well in multiplayer. I'm working on it.

Here are the last two items:

The water extractor

The water injector

These two can work alone, though they work best together, of course (oh, and they have confusingly similar textures, at the moment :-P ). What happens is this: the water extractor gets water "out of nowhere", and fills a water container (i.e. a canteen) in your inventory. The water injector takes water from a canteen in your inventory, and… fills you up. Or drinks it for you. Into you. It's either magic, or high tech, or both.

If you have one of them, you either don't have to look for water anymore, or do not need to drink by yourself. If you have both (and a canteen!), thirst becomes a "solved problem".

It would have been much easier to code a single item that just keeps you hydrated. So why these two, and why do you still need a canteen? Firstly to drive up the cost, secondly to make it sensible to go half the way first, and thirdly so that you block three inventory slots, one more than carrying a full water bucket and a wooden bowl. Whether this works remains to be seen.
Attachments
craft_injector.png
craft_injector.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
craft_extractor.png
craft_extractor.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

Ben

by Ben » Post

Not dead, just resting :-P

I've released version 0.8.0. There is no real added functionality with this version, but now everything has been refactored and should now be configurable via user configuration (including disabling the built-in components like fountains and amulets or even the wooden bowl). Just copy the thirsty.conf.example file to thirsty.conf, edit away, and enjoy!

In theory, this should allow this mod to work much better / smoother with other mods or preexisting components. In practice, it probably won't matter much, because I haven't received many requests for this yet ;-)

I consider this version a "release candidate", by the way. If you do use it, and have any comments or suggestions, please let me know!

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

Erm, for the fountain crafting recipes copper should be replaced with copper pipes.
and copper pipes should be craftable like this:
c c c
- - -
c c c
for one copper pipe
c=copper
- = nothing
that way it's not too easy to get your fountain.
Good mod, btw.
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

mahmutelmas06
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

how about adding drinking sound ?
My Mods:

Beverage

Ben

by Ben » Post

programmingchicken wrote:Erm, for the fountain crafting recipes copper should be replaced with copper pipes.
[…]
that way it's not too easy to get your fountain.
Thanks for the feedback! About the cost of a fountain: are you counting in the fact that a single fountain gets you only a 5-block radius, and you'll typically build more (or rather, extenders) anyway?

On the other hand, you're right, fountains are group efforts (there are easier ways for a single player to keep hydrated), and the nodes I've defined are trivial for a multi-player settlement. I'm just not comfortable with adding too many new items which have no use outside this mod, just to raise the price.

The good news is: the last release made it easy to disable my fountains, and swap in your own! I'll have to write a little tutorial on it, when I have the time.

Ben

by Ben » Post

mahmutelmas06 wrote:how about adding drinking sound ?
I haven't worked with sound effects before – know any good sources ?-)

A single sound should be enough for the wooden bowl, canteens, and drinking fountain (I must get a better name for this, one day :-/ ) – I'm pretty sure noone wants constant gulping sounds while standing in water, or close enough to a fountain :-P

programmingchicken

Speaking about names...
hyper-quenching beacon?
ranged thirst-quencher beacon 3.0?
something technical, needs to be complicated...
water beacon? too simple
Ranged Automatic Water Machine Edition Alpha Theta
R.A.W.M.E.A.T.
i like this one :D
or this one:
Water Access Table Edition Rho
W.A.T.E.R.

Ben

by Ben » Post

programmingchicken wrote:Speaking about names...
hyper-quenching beacon?
ranged thirst-quencher beacon 3.0?
Ranged Automatic Water Machine Edition Alpha Theta
R.A.W.M.E.A.T.
Water Access Table Edition Rho
W.A.T.E.R.
Nice :-D

However, I usually think of these things as "fountains", and am looking for a good name for the "drinking fountain". In my head, I call it a "bird bath" (hey, my version looks like one), or maybe "water cooler" could work.

Ben

by Ben » Post

Version 0.8.1 released

Adds river water (source and flowing) for you to stand in and/or drink from; thanks Nathan for the tip!. (I'll probably also have to add river water buckets to recipes, I'm still checking how these work…)

Ben

by Ben » Post

Version 0.9.0 released

This version adds a few API methods, thanks again to Nathan for the inspiration!

Code: Select all

thirsty.drink(player, amount, [max])      --# instantly drink a bit (up to a max value, default 20)
thirsty.get_hydro(player)                 --# returns the current hydration of a player
thirsty.set_thirst_factor(player, factor) --# how fast does the given player get thirsty (default is 1.0)
thirsty.get_thirst_factor(player)         --# returns the current thirst factor of a player

The Thirsty mod does not use these functions itself, but they can be useful if you have a consumable that should "drink a bit too", or if you want players to get thirstier in the desert or when sprinting.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

It seems as if this will throw an error if you upgrade without creating a new world. I could be wrong, but I got an error about it trying to read the thirst_factor.

Edit:
Well I just tried to re-enter a new world and am getting the same error.
Spoiler
ServerError: ...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:205: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'thirst_factor' (a nil value)
2015-07-14 18:44:51: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2015-07-14 18:44:51: ERROR[main]: ...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:205: in function <...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:86>
Edit 2:
I think I've narrowed it down, but I could be entirely wrong. I'm pretty sure that the saving of the file doesn't save the thirst_factor and it's never read. The value is set for a new player, but if you already exist that value isn't set and the mod crashes the game. However when I delete the thirsty.dat file and relaunch the game I get the same error, so I'm unsure if that is the problem or not.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Ben

by Ben » Post

I've got a new version out, 0.9.1, which should fix this bug. I'm leaving 0.9.0 and 0.9.1 listed as "current versions" in the top post, if anyone else runs into this problem and can't access the GitHub commit I did yesterday.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Sorry to keep finding all these bugs.
I have an apple with the following code,

on_use = function(player)
		thirsty.drink(player, hydration, 20) minetest.item_eat(health)
hydration is a variable which is defined elsewhere, as is the health variable.

which gives this error when I try to eat the apple. I've commented out the eating part, thinking maybe that might be a problem, but the same error. Unfortunately I have no ideas on this one. I tried using the get_hydro just to see what would happen, and I get the same error about an attempt to call global 'get_player_name' (a nil value).

Here is the error Minetest gives me.

2015-07-17 16:27:31: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer uses food:apple, pointing at [nothing]
16:27:31: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "player" accessed at /home/nathan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/food/fruits.lua:41
16:27:31: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "get_player_name" accessed at ...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:57
2015-07-17 16:27:31: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:57: attempt to call global 'get_player_name' (a nil value)
2015-07-17 16:27:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2015-07-17 16:27:31: ERROR[main]: 	...athan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/thirsty/functions.lua:57: in function 'drink'
2015-07-17 16:27:31: ERROR[main]: 	/home/nathan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/food/fruits.lua:41: in function </home/nathan/.minetest/games/Survive/mods/food/fruits.lua:40>

Ben

by Ben » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Sorry to keep finding all these bugs.
Nonsense, I'm grateful for it! I'll look into this bug as soon as I can.

Ben

by Ben » Post

Which "on_use" function are you calling? Are you passing it to "register_node"? Because the on_use handler's signature is more like

on_use = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
So your function should expect those parameters, too. You should be able to do something like this:

thirsty.drink(user, hydration, 20)
(Also, I don't think you can call "item_eat" directly – according to the specs, item_eat is executed and returns a function (more precisely, a closure), which can then be used as an on_use handler. But I may be wrong.)

Ben

by Ben » Post

Got it, I think:

Try the following code (hydration and food are hardcoded, but you get the idea):

minetest.override_item('default:apple', {
        thirsty.drink(user, 2, 20)
        local eat_func = minetest.item_eat(1)
        return eat_func(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
    end
}) 

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I'm just an idiot and was doing it wrong. After following your advice all is working. thanks again.

Ben

by Ben » Post

Version 0.10.0 released

No user-visible changes, but this version no longer saves the current hydration of players in a file in the world, but in a hidden inventory slot. Warning: this means players will start at "not thirsty" again. But hopefully, few people will mind :-P

Ben

by Ben » Post

The mod seems stable enough; I'm going through all the points I'd still like to get to before declaring this mod "released". At the moment, I can think of two things:
  1. A player's hydration level is saved by my attempt at a "shareable mixin", which I've since concluded is not worth it. It won't have any outward effect, but I'd like to get this refactored before declaring 1.0.0 .
  2. I'm not happy with the configuration. Ideally, I'd like to have a single, well-nested configuration file with all the defaults, and players / server admins can copy this file to configure stuff without their changes being clobbered by the next update. The mod code would then simply merge these by top-level key or something.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Once again, using the inventory to store an integer value is incredibly hacky.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Another mod that adds an interesting aspect to survival :)

If river water was used more extensively by the mapgen it would have been interesting to make river water the only drinkable one (not only it's more rare but it's also not infinitely re-generating). But since river water hardly makes an apparition in any world it would be too hardcore of a change.

Though maybe adding a "water purifier" tool (or container) that turns normal water into drinkable river water would be interesting.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Ben

by Ben » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Once again, using the inventory to store an integer value is incredibly hacky.
Yes. Yes, it is. And it gets even hackier once you realise that each inventory slot can store a 16-bit count and a 16-bit wear and an arbitrary string of metadata.

Luckily, I've encapsulated all of this in a separate submodule (in persistent_player_attributes.lua) in anticipation of code like this:

local hydro = player:get_saved_value("thirsty_hydro") 
So once something like that is available, the switch is easy.
Ferk wrote:[…] it would have been interesting to make river water the only drinkable one (not only it's more rare but it's also not infinitely re-generating). […]

Though maybe adding a "water purifier" tool (or container) that turns normal water into drinkable river water would be interesting.
It's already possible to toss normal water out and leave only river water via the configuration; you should give it a try on a new world, and let us know how it went. The "infinitely re-generating" aspect is not quite as important as the fact that you can pick up water in a bucket and carry it around with you. I must confess I'm not to familiar with river water yet; do buckets work on them?

programmingchicken

I think there are river water buckets, so maybe you could make a purification through furnace craft?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Placing a bucket of sea water in a furnace should give back salt so maybe a distiller block would be handy...