[Mod] Goblins [goblins]

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Re: [Mod] Goblins [goblins] [WIP]

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Looks like you may need the latest version of "Ambience Lite" from https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/ambience. I'll put some additional checks in my next release. Thank you!

TheNetYeti
GitHub: growlf
In-game: netyeti

Re: [WIP] Goblins [mobs_goblins]

by TheNetYeti » Post

The fact that the Goblins actually take the torches and give them to certain other goblins for their nefarious purposes. FreeLikeGNU has that in his docs for them. It is a hilarious game to play with them too - set some Dwarves in the same area (who can lay the torches down) and watch the two races struggle for dominance of the torches.

Pondering further interactions between these two races.., Dwarves hunting Goblins - and vice versa? Tolkien style?
*Y*

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

these are soooo good!!!!!!!! ,they bring a whole new level to the game play . excellent work! . kept crashing when they ran away but the last update fixed the problem as i have not had the issue agian . are you going to add right click to the dog goblins for extra info ... ? looking forward to seeing more ingenuity from you in the future,
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:are you going to add right click to the dog goblins for extra info ... ?
Not sure what you are referring to about extra info for gobdogs, but they are not using the "give_gift" function the goblins use... there could certainly be more kinds of interactions with right click on gobdogs, did you have something in mind?

If you experience crashing please don't hesitate to report it here. Even though it's a WIP, it should not be crashing.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun getting back into these little mobs, glad you are enjoying them too and thanks for the feedback!

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

hello there
i noticed that hearts popped up when i fed the gobdog so imagined that it was now a pet and would be able to add a name tag to it or at least tagged to say it was no longer a threat . unfortunately i was attacked by another entity and the gobdog kind of got in the way of my axe swing so i was unsure if it was trying to protect me or ganging up on me ...then i died .
the crash has happened agian and is related to the gobdogs . it was not in sight but i could here it barking and i believe triggered by " the run away " command a velociety issue ?
i am sorry i am new to this i should have screen printed it as there is no copy function on the crash screen i thought it would generate a crash report in the main folder . i went right through the debug and just could not see it . will be sure to get a screen print next time i encounter the issue ,
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel: Yes even a screen shot of the crash output would help me track this down. The gobdogs are not currently set to runaway from player so there is probably something else going on. Please be sure you are using the current version of Mobs Redo from
https://notabug.org/tenplus1/mobs_redo or the Minetest ContentDB. Make sure you are running Minetest version 5.2 or higher and check the mobs redo file api.lua for:

Code: Select all

version = 20200412
or higher.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Big update! Goblins now have secret names that may be revealed if you offer enough of what is scarce below the surface...

I've begun working on more parametric and procedural Goblin generation to keep the code lines fewer while creating more novel interactions.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote: Big update! Goblins now have secret names that may be revealed if you offer enough of what is scarce below the surface...
Ah! It's great that it now seems to be possible to become friends with them. Before, they seemed all pretty hostile...
A list of my mods can be found here.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Glad you are enjoying them!

Melkor

by Melkor » Post

cool new mobs!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Goblins now have territories that are defined by the chunk they spawn into! This could lead to some more interesting interactions down the road!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Spoiler
it's kinda spoilery but yeah goblins like shiney...
Last edited by FreeLikeGNU on Mon May 11, 2020 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Some rough and deceptive Goblin cave systems carved out by digger goblins accompany the very smooth and rectangular forms of the caves and dungeons from the mapgen. It's a little easier to get at the ore locked in solid strata but dangerous traps and more aggressive goblins may be lurking.

To explore these you will need a pick to increase headroom or crawl into the tight passages somehow. How long can you do this before claustrophobia compels you back to the surface?

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I've spent the last couple weeks working on trade and aggro.

Goblins love the rarest of minerals, but they also value some things that can only be found above ground such as fruits. Word spreads quickly among goblins in a tribe that you offer such things.

Some goblins can be quick to fight over-worlders that brandish a weapon, others closer to the surface are more timid.

If you fight the goblins, their tribe becomes more restless and member goblins more likely to attack on sight!

"Trade" and "aggro" are both "relations" that affect how goblins belonging to a territory interact with a player. When you attempt to "trade" with (give a preferred item to) a Goblin, the amount of fighting you have done with goblins belonging to that territory will reduce the likelihood of receiving anything back. The more you attempt to trade and the kind of item that you offer will benefit your following attempts at trade.

I hope this adds more life to these little creatures. I'm very new at coding but I've tried to document code and provide some useful debugging output in case you are more curious how all of this works.

FreeLikeGNU

Defense groups added!

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Goblins and Gobdogs will now defend each other. You can have them defend other mobs by simply
adding to:

on_spawn = function(self)
the following:

self.groups = {"goblin_friend", "gobdog_friend"}
in your own mobs definition!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

There are many settings now accessible from the minetest menu -> "settings" tab -> "all settings" -> "mods" -> "goblins" list! these can also be defined in the settingtypes.txt

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Unique textures for fungler and snuffer added. Does anyone still use this mod?

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

Yes, of course! I'm testing it to bring it to the live server sometime soon ;)
Whatever I say is CC0

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I've started working on a HUD to provide some insight on goblin relations it will be optional and easily hideable before released into the wild. What goblin information would you like to have in the HUD?

trading or combat with goblins will activate the HUD, they do not feel friendly enough to reveal their name or their territory name yet:

interacting with goblins and learning a goblins territory will update the HUD:

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Bastrabun wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:40
Yes, of course! I'm testing it to bring it to the live server sometime soon ;)
Awesome! I hope they serve you well! I'm curious how their performance is in a multiplayer environment.

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

It's one of my favorite mods, though I'm on a modified fork of an old fork with no hope to bring it back inline without a lot of work. It's also running on a MP server so I have to weigh any new functionality vs performance carefully.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

acidzebra wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 13:14
It's one of my favorite mods, though I'm on a modified fork of an old fork with no hope to bring it back inline without a lot of work. It's also running on a MP server so I have to weigh any new functionality vs performance carefully.
Thanks for the feedback! Any new functionality going forward will be made optional from settings. What modifications made the goblins better suited to your server, perhaps this is something I can implement to make it easier to integrate?

Edit: Are these some of the modifications you mentioned? I can add these to the settings so they do not get reverted every time there is an update.
acidzebra wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 15:02
This is such a great mod and I love the models - I've made the goblins the main underground enemy/nuisance in my game. Which also happens to be the place you need to get to in order to get at the goodies. What could possibly go wrong?

To smooth out their rather brisk spawn rate and capacity for absolute mayhem I have made some changes to the init.lua, specifically adjusting spawn chance, min&max spawn depths but most importantly I've added a severe restriction on light, they will only spawn in places with light between 0 and 4. To keep them out of your mines/underground cities proper light placement has become much more important. And even then you will sometimes be surprised by a digger coming in from a side cave.

--[[ function mobs_goblins:spawn_specific(
                                name,nodes, neighbors, min_light, max_light, interval, chance, active_object_count, min_height, max_height)]]
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_cobble", {"group:stone"}, "air",                                        0, 4, 60, 10000, 2, -30000, -10)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_digger", {"group:stone"},  "air",                                       0, 4, 60, 10000, 2, -30000, -10)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_coal", {"default:stone_with_coal", "default:mossycobble"}, "air",       0, 4, 60, 20000, 1, -30000, -10)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_iron", {"default:stone_with_iron", "default:mossycobble"}, "air",       0, 4, 60, 20000, 1, -30000, -30)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_copper", {"default:stone_with_copper", "default:mossycobble"}, "air",   0, 4, 60, 20000, 1, -30000, -30)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_gold", {"default:stone_with_gold", "default:mossycobble"}, "air",       0, 4, 60, 20000, 1, -30000, -50)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_diamond", {"default:stone_with_diamond", "default:mossycobble" }, "air",0, 4, 60, 30000, 1, -30000, -50)
mobs:spawn_specific("goblins:goblin_king", {"default:mossycobble",},"air",                                  0, 4, 60, 30000, 1, -30000, -150)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@FreeLikeGNU - Ambience api goes through the list of soundsets as they are registered in that order and if a condition is met it returns and plays that set, so if you register the mossycobble set first it'll play ok with those nodes around and fallback to caves if not :)

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

@TenPlus1 good to know. This reminds me that I have some other ambient sounds to work on!

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:32
Edit: Are these some of the modifications you mentioned? I can add these to the settings so they do not get reverted every time there is an update.
appreciate it but I don't know if there's much demand for that - when setting up the server I had specific ideas about both sky layers and underground layers and what they should contain - I've restricted the goblins to 'their kingdom' which is about -1500 to -4000. This is purely a personal preference I think. (some of the deeper layers are based on dfcaverns and have their own specific threats)

Next, I had to address their spawn, digging, and trap laying rates - for the version I posted about in the quoted comment, if you'd go AFK above a large cave (in a 'safe area') and left the goblins to their own devices for a couple of hours, they would wreak absolute havoc. Traps and digs everywhere. It was funny in a way but people nearly had to abandon some areas as it was just a mess.

I think all these things are easy enough to address in the code; maybe you could add them to a config.txt.example so anyone created custom settings has these preserved?

Oh, and (another very specific change) due to the mods I'm running, I changed the replace targets to
"glooptest:mineral_ruby",
"glooptest:mineral_sapphire",
"glooptest:mineral_emerald",
"glooptest:mineral_topaz",
"glooptest:mineral_amethyst",

(Goblins like shiny things)

and

"default:stone",
"default:gravel",
"default:desert_stone",
"aotearoa:gneiss",
"aotearoa:schist",
"aotearoa:greywacke",
"aotearoa:conglomerate",
"aotearoa:granite",
"aotearoa:andesite",
"aotearoa:mud",
"aotearoa:grey_sandstone",
"aotearoa:pale_sandstone",
"aotearoa:basalt",
"technic:granite",
"technic:marble",
"group:sand",
"group:soil",

so that when they do dig, they would dig through all the stuff I've added.

For the record, I think I forked from https://github.com/FaceDeer/goblins which might have happened while you were not so active in developing the mod - at the time it was attractive because it reorganized some code; implemented a different search/replace function and defined a base_goblin of shared/common traits, then had shorter definitions for each individual goblin. Now, with all your neat recent changes, I kind of regret and have moved "getting back to the main mod" to the backlog :)