[Mod] Goblins [goblins]

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Re: [Mod] Goblins [goblins] [WIP]

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Today's update: Goblin and Gobdog spawning is now configured from goblins_spawning.lua (at least until there is a way to easily change these with the setting menu :P )

racal

Re: [WIP] Goblins [mobs_goblins]

by racal » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2015 16:40
Nathan.S wrote:Are the Goblins suppose to put out torches/knock them down, 'cause when I was recording my mod review video for this upcoming Monday I noticed them knocking all my torches down, just wondering if that is a bug or intentional.
Yes most of them put out torches.. The light hurts their eyes
Do they put out just torches? How about other light sources, e.g. mese lamps and mese post lights?

By the way, cool mod. :D

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

They are only interested in taking torches. Wood is difficult to procure as they would otherwise have to come to the surface. They don't like strong light or fire in general (though the seem to enjoy causing fire to erupt from their traps) but they tend to avoid touching placed mese technology for some reason...

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Today's update:
* Custom Goblins and Gobdogs can be defined in goblins_custom.lua
* Attacking goblins can now be appeased with trade gifts, however it will be more difficult the more you have attacked a goblin!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Got a basic HUD working with options (disabled by default).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Beeing able to exchange items with them sounds like a good step towards a better neighbourhood :-) Perhaps they can dig the ores for the players in the depth and be rewarded with items from the surface ("get this apple for a diamond block. Thanks! Bye!" *g* *running away quickly*)
A list of my mods can be found here.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 02:10
Beeing able to exchange items with them sounds like a good step towards a better neighbourhood :-) Perhaps they can dig the ores for the players in the depth and be rewarded with items from the surface ("get this apple for a diamond block. Thanks! Bye!" *g* *running away quickly*)
Yes, that's the idea at some point, if you make enough friends within the goblin territory, they may help you dig (if they are diggers) and collect ores. I'm working on a way to give them particular jobs. It's hard not to make them too helpful or harmful, the more things they can do, the more challenging it is to balance them!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

* Update 2020/06/28 fixed a crashing bug in HUD code, attached tools to goblins, new goblin animations and texture mods

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

* Update 2020/06/29 fixed a crash with protection enabled (such as with minecarts). Thanks to rusty-snake for reporting this!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

* Update 2020/07/06 added moss node and removed glow from cobblemoss node for better visuals
more variations for goblin tools and appropriate tools/nodes are chosen for tasks
variations for gobdog coloring and sizes

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Update 2020/07/12: Goblins dig to avoid light damage. Mob dmg crash fix and random tool selection adjustment.

https://youtu.be/TmN-czCPg9w

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm scared to update this mod because everyday a new update comes out :) I should try this already.

Keep it up FreeLikeGNU! This is a great mod.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Thanks for the encouragement!

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Really enjoying this mod, it seems to be working very well paired with DFCaverns. It's actually spooky sometimes when you hear the baying of the little goblin hounds, off somewhere in the depths. I haven't yet managed to get the named places features of any mods to work, but I will keep tinkering at it.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I was among the many in the San Lorenzo Valley in California that had to evacuate due to the August Lightning Complex fire. There may be somewhat less activity with my mods while we recover. My family is safe and relocated so I feel very fortunate despite likely losing our home. Thank you for your understanding.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

I looove those pesky Goblins!

*STAMP!* [JiCeyCraft Approoved!]
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

racal

by racal » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 17:37
I was among the many in the San Lorenzo Valley in California that had to evacuate due to the August Lightning Complex fire. There may be somewhat less activity with my mods while we recover. My family is safe and relocated so I feel very fortunate despite likely losing our home. Thank you for your understanding.
Sorry this happened to you. Stay strong and be safe, brother.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I'd love to see your goblins! This will help with some new goblinkind ideas:

https://picrew.me/image_maker/459728

Attachments
goblin.png
goblin.png (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2556 times

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Hopefully you and your family recovered from that setback!

Glad to see you are still working on the mod.

What about a "goblin bomber"?

The strategy game series Age of Wonders is probably one of my favourite for their goblin side, might borrow some cool ideas from them:

Age of Wonders 1 Goblins:

http://aow.heavengames.com/strategy/sdgoblins.shtml

Age of Wonders 3 Goblins:

https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Goblins

The Goblin Darter (blowgun) might be cool for a ranged unit, or if you can restrict a unit to only spawning in caverns over a certain size, you could add the Goblin Big Beetle Rider maybe.

Wolf riders are a classic too of course.

One last idea: maybe generate a structure, like a compound/treasure room, which if you enter makes the goblins within aggro by default? Something like a restricted area.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 16:22
What about a "goblin bomber"?
The Goblin Darter (blowgun) might be cool for a ranged unit, or if you can restrict a unit to only spawning in caverns over a certain size, you could add the Goblin Big Beetle Rider maybe.

Wolf riders are a classic too of course.

One last idea: maybe generate a structure, like a compound/treasure room, which if you enter makes the goblins within aggro by default? Something like a restricted area.
Goblins with ranged weapons (rocks, bombs, arrows) is definitely on my list of things to do. The plan is to activate these kinds of goblins only if the player is using a mod that allows for projectile weapons. I don't think it would be very fair or immersive otherwise. What ranged weapons mods do you use?

Originally the gobdogs were mounts for the Goblins and this is also planned. Attachment was not working so well until recently and I frankly did not have the skills to pull it off at the time either :D

I think I can tackle goblin rooms/structures soon. I've gotten some experience now placing nodes with the Witches mod!

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 14:44

Goblins with ranged weapons (rocks, bombs, arrows) is definitely on my list of things to do. The plan is to activate these kinds of goblins only if the player is using a mod that allows for projectile weapons. I don't think it would be very fair or immersive otherwise. What ranged weapons mods do you use?
Good idea building in that kind of failsafe. To be honest, I haven't settled on one definitive ranged weapon mod, there's a good few of them and I'm not sure what the strengths and weakness are of their underlying apis, etc. I'm also not a programmer, so I can't judge these kinds of mods by how well the code is written, just their superficial appearance of 'quality'.

That being said, I recently came across ClockGen's mods, which are pretty damn full featured and functional, but for some reason aren't on ContendDB. I installed his bweapon's modpack, magic_materials and gadets_modpack, which play very nicely together. The textures are also pretty high quality. The weapons pack has various ranged weapons.

https://github.com/ClockGen
Originally the gobdogs were mounts for the Goblins and this is also planned. Attachment was not working so well until recently and I frankly did not have the skills to pull it off at the time either :D
Oh, I see! They're pretty cool as they are, though I'm still not entirely sure how to interact with goblins yet. I noticed for example, sometimes the gobodogs just start barking like crazy at me and I don't know what triggered them or how to make them be quiet...well except for by killing them, that is.
I think I can tackle goblin rooms/structures soon. I've gotten some experience now placing nodes with the Witches mod!
That would be really neat. I haven't tried Witches properly yet, but I will give it a go when I get a chance. Are you planning on any special interactions between the Witches and Goblins mods? Might be interesting! Like maybe you could rescue witches from the goblins and have them be your allies, or hey, vice versa, even.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 16:08
That being said, I recently came across ClockGen's mods, which are pretty damn full featured and functional, but for some reason aren't on ContendDB. I installed his bweapon's modpack, magic_materials and gadets_modpack, which play very nicely together. The textures are also pretty high quality. The weapons pack has various ranged weapons.

https://github.com/ClockGen
That does look pretty amazing, lots of dependencies however. I'll probably write in ranged weapons for something less complex like Tenplus1's Bows.
https://content.minetest.net/packages/TenPlus1/bows/

I do welcome code contributions to support other mods.
Oh, I see! They're pretty cool as they are, though I'm still not entirely sure how to interact with goblins yet. I noticed for example, sometimes the gobodogs just start barking like crazy at me and I don't know what triggered them or how to make them be quiet...well except for by killing them, that is.
Yes some gobdogs are aggressive and even the passive ones will become aggro if a nearby goblin is aggro. They do like certain items that dogs typically like.
That would be really neat. I haven't tried Witches properly yet, but I will give it a go when I get a chance. Are you planning on any special interactions between the Witches and Goblins mods? Might be interesting! Like maybe you could rescue witches from the goblins and have them be your allies, or hey, vice versa, even.
I do plan interactions between Witches and Goblins. They have a particular relationship, not necessarily adversarial.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

Sorry, I can't resist...

From the movie "Labyrinth", David Bowie as the Goblins' King in the Magic Dance

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Saturn wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 19:10
Sorry, I can't resist...

From the movie "Labyrinth", David Bowie as the Goblins' King in the Magic Dance
There really should be at least a callback to this in any goblin game!

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I use the "throwing" mod