[Mod] Loose Rocks [loose_rocks]

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

[Mod] Loose Rocks [loose_rocks]

by eduardomezencio » Post

Loose Rocks mod

This is my first (and only) mod. I created this to illustrate an idea that I had for the Voxelgarden (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6346) game and also to learn about modding Minetest.

This mod adds Loose Rocks to Minetest. They generate naturally on the surface of the world and can be collected with bare hands.

A desert version is generated on deserts

4 Loose Rocks arranged in a 2x2 grid can be crafted into a Cobblestone.
(same with desert version to make Desert Cobblestone)

And now it works in v5, v6 and v7 mapgens. In v5 and v7 it uses biomemap, while in v6 it checks for desert sand and desert stones to place loose desert stones.

Download, fork or browse the source in Github: https://github.com/eduardomezencio/loose_rocks
Or download the Zip: https://github.com/eduardomezencio/loos ... master.zip

Licenses:

Code: GPLv3
Texture and models: CC BY-SA 3.0
Last edited by eduardomezencio on Wed Sep 16, 2015 21:53, edited 5 times in total.

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Re: [Mod]Loose Rocks[loose_rocks]

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Nice!

eduardomezencio

Updated. Info in the updated original post. I think this mod is ready for release. It will be very nice if anyone could give feedback about it.

Btw, glad you liked it, FreeLikeGNU. I checked your server to find some goblins, but had no luck yet :(

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

good thing, but where is the License??
you forgeted that.
Anyways the mod is good
Have a nice day! :D

eduardomezencio

Oh, yes. The license is included, and you can check it on Github, or when you download the mod. Anyways, I'll add it here. It's GPLv3 for code and CC BY-SA 3.0 for textures and models. I'll include it in the op. Thanks

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nice mod! There are already some larger stones in one other mod (undergrowth?). I don't remember the correct name. It's included in Dreambuilder.
A list of my mods can be found here.

eduardomezencio

Sokomine wrote:There are already some larger stones in one other mod (undergrowth?). I don't remember the correct name. It's included in Dreambuilder.
I have seen something similar in a mod included in the Plantlife mod pack, but I don't remember about Dreambuilder. I learned how to make code for generating the rocks by looking at this mod and for that I am very grateful. After some research I found information about how to use some different features from the mapgen, including the heightmap, that allowed me to improve a lot the idea taken from there (now that I think about it, I think I found about that in a IRC log, and it was you, Sokomine, that suggested it to someone. So, thank you!).

Anyway, I think the central idea about this mod is not only to have decorative rocks around, but to create a way for the player to skip creating wooden tools, because he can get cobblestone using the loose rocks, with bare hands.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

The mod is good, work more time on it and you will make something awesome

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Nice idea.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

eduardomezencio

Updated to work with v6 mapgen. Now it works with all mapgens.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

Re: [Mod] Loose Rocks [loose_rocks]

by Ivà » Post

+1

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

nice mod
what are these cactus plants
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

eduardomezencio

DS-minetest wrote:nice mod
what are these cactus plants
Well, this is the minetest_game with no mods (other than loose_rocks), the cacti generate naturally

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Hooray to the RealTest!

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

+1

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

eduardomezencio wrote: Anyway, I think the central idea about this mod is not only to have decorative rocks around, but to create a way for the player to skip creating wooden tools, because he can get cobblestone using the loose rocks, with bare hands.
That happens in RealTest :-) It also has some type of rocks lying around, although those are more cubic. Perhaps your mod could be combined with that, or those other mods learn from yours? So that there are more shapes of rock.

eduardomezencio

Sokomine wrote:
eduardomezencio wrote: Anyway, I think the central idea about this mod is not only to have decorative rocks around, but to create a way for the player to skip creating wooden tools, because he can get cobblestone using the loose rocks, with bare hands.
That happens in RealTest :-) It also has some type of rocks lying around, although those are more cubic. Perhaps your mod could be combined with that, or those other mods learn from yours? So that there are more shapes of rock.
I didn't knew about RealTest. I have just tried it and the rocks are really a lot similar to what I have done here. It looks like the differences are: I use more than one model, to get more variation and it looks like in RealTest you can only get rocks, not place them for decorative purposes. Other thing is that it does not look like RealTest works in v7 mapgen. Maybe my rocks would work nicely in that game, but I don't know if the rocks are implemented there as a standalone mod or as a part of another mod. I think it's the latter, and it would require a little more work.

That's why I'm definitely keeping this mod (and I would also recommend others to) doing just this one thing. I think this sort of 'unix philosophy applied to minetest mods' is a good thing. Making small mods that do only one thing, and do that thing well, makes it easier for game makers to put different things together, easier to find and solve bugs, easier to update and so on.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

RealTest uses the rocks as a ressource to build the first tools. You talked about plans in a similar direction, so I thought that might be of intrest to you. The rocks in Dreambuilder and RealTest have diffrent shapes. Perhaps you can support those shapes as well.

As to doing one thing and doing it well - that's certailny a good and valid point. Perhaps your mod can eventually replace the stone generation in RealTest. That subgame needs work on its mapgen anyway.

Grubler
In-game: Grubler

by Grubler » Post

I like these little rocks, yo.. It made me think about.. well actually I had already had the thought of, "What if there was rocks?.. but this mod made me think about it a little further.. That, what if you could take these rocks.. and if you place them on some rocks on the ground.. it turns those rocks into a cobblestone slab?... and then.. you could break that slab and get some rocks back and leave some rocks on the ground that you started with... or you could add more rocks to the slab and it would make a cobblestone stair?... and then you could break that stair and get some rocks back and leave a cobblestone slab... or you could add more rocks to the stairs and then it would become a cobblestone block... Something to that effect...

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

This is excellent and the environment improves so much from such a simple addition. I really like how the rock type varies along with biome. It especially gives deserts and plains some much needed detail.