[Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

by Don » Post

I just pushed a fix for that.Thank you for reporting the error.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

Worse now - no error message, just crash to desktop with "Minetest engine has stopped working"

2016-03-08 13:04:33: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: character.png
2016-03-08 13:04:35: WARNING[Main]: Map::getNodeMetadata(): Block not found
2016-03-08 13:05:56: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer digs mymonths:sticks_default at (-34,19,66)

That's all she wrote...

Don

by Don » Post

I can not replicate it.
What version of Minetest? Also can you tell me the day and month?

Edit - I just found and fixed an error.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

9am on December 1 :P that works!

Don

by Don » Post

KCoombes wrote:9am on December 1 :P that works!
I realized I had a line of code in there that I should have taken out with the last changes.

Thanks for reporting the problem. It helps to have feed back like this.

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

Thanks for all your hard work - I have a ton of your excellent mods and am thrilled to add this one!

Don

by Don » Post

KCoombes wrote:Thanks for all your hard work - I have a ton of your excellent mods and am thrilled to add this one!
Nathan and I have put a lot of work into it and continue to try to make it better.
I am glad you like it.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

This mod is very great and cool , after all everything that you do Don is very good!
Have a nice day! :D

Don

by Don » Post

Thanks MineYoshi. Thank Nathan too. He was a big part of this mod.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

You could add the equinox, An equinox is an astronomical event in which the plane of Earth's equator passes through the center of the Sun, which occurs twice each year, around 20 March and 23 September. (i think you know!)

Info Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox

I give the idea, because that is a little detail, but makes a more like real month cycle!

Don

by Don » Post

I could add it to the holidays script. Then people will know spring summer fall and winter.

I also need to darken skies when it is raining or snowing.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

well, i am attent when you make the equinox, anyways, i think is better do the darken skies first!

Don

by Don » Post

I will add equinox and solstice but I will call it spring, summer, autumn and winter. That is what most know it as.
Because the mod changes the time speed it already has longer nights in winter and longer days in summer. I will add darker skies during weather events.

Thanks for the suggestion.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Ok :D

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Finally! Seasons again. There was 4seasons on the King Arthurs Land server for quite a while, and that did provide some intresting gameplay. I'm glad that a new mod has been created (and seems to be developed further :-)) which adds more variety to nature over time. The screenshots look very promising.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don

by Don » Post

Sokomine wrote:Finally! Seasons again. There was 4seasons on the King Arthurs Land server for quite a while, and that did provide some intresting gameplay. I'm glad that a new mod has been created (and seems to be developed further :-)) which adds more variety to nature over time. The screenshots look very promising.
Thanks Sokomine. Nathan and I are working on it. Tenplus1 and OldCoder has helped too.

It is at a point now that it works well. The weather will slow things down a bit but if you turn the weather off there are no issues as far as I know. We are looking at optimising the code right now. When that is done I want to add more to the mod. I am wanting to add farming to the code so you can only grow crops in certain months. I have a few other ideas as well.

Other mods can use this mode as a dependency. You can use these
mymonths.day_counter - 1 - 14
mymonths.month_counter 1 - 12
mymonths.weather - rain, storm, snow, snowstorm, sandstorm, hail, clear

Maybe other mods will support this one. Would be nice to see so we can have really good seasons in minetest

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I'm not sure about the actual change to the length of the day. Most of us tend to prefer day for building. One server had shorter nights and longer days - which turned out to be very convenient. But from a survival point of view it might work out well. The seasonal growth of crops might also be a good game element, turning survival into a challenge.

The seasonal changes alone are nice already.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don

by Don » Post

We would have a setting to turn on or off most of the features. I might consider a setting for length of day changing.

Don

by Don » Post

Update - if you are running the latest dev version of minetest then this update uses an lbm to update the mapblocks to the right time of year. Now when you go exploring the leaves will be the right color for the right time of year.

https://github.com/minetest-mods/mymonths

burli

by burli » Post

The rain in thin mod is a little bit odd. If I walk sometimes the rain doesn't follow me, if I walk downhill, also, and if I stand under a node the rain stopps. If you stand at a cliff and look down it also looks weired. And puddles don't work

Sandstorm is sometimes also weired. If you walk hills up or down the storm is below/above you

luewind
In-game: luewind

by luewind » Post

I have been playing around with this mod a bit and rather enjoy the seasons and the weather. I was building in a snow region and noticed that even with snow accumulation turned on it was never growing on the snow already in the region. So I looked into it and saw that the default version of snow in minetest was treated differently then snow in Mymonths.

I messed around a bit with the abms.lua file and changed it to include the default snow and snow blocks. I also added a function that checks the adjacent snow nodes heights before turning a snow_cover_5 node into a snow block and if the height diffs are too high it tried to increase the adjacent nodes height. It works like snow drifting IRL and lets snow "drift" and build up under trees.

Here is a link to the fork I made on github to play around with: https://github.com/luewind/mymonths/blo ... r/abms.lua

Don

by Don » Post

luewind wrote:I have been playing around with this mod a bit and rather enjoy the seasons and the weather. I was building in a snow region and noticed that even with snow accumulation turned on it was never growing on the snow already in the region. So I looked into it and saw that the default version of snow in minetest was treated differently then snow in Mymonths.

I messed around a bit with the abms.lua file and changed it to include the default snow and snow blocks. I also added a function that checks the adjacent snow nodes heights before turning a snow_cover_5 node into a snow block and if the height diffs are too high it tried to increase the adjacent nodes height. It works like snow drifting IRL and lets snow "drift" and build up under trees.

Here is a link to the fork I made on github to play around with: https://github.com/luewind/mymonths/blo ... r/abms.lua
I have been meaning to do that. I never took the time to get it done.
Would you please submit a pull request?

luewind

by luewind » Post

I submitted the pull request.

I'm still working on making the melting behavior not melt the snow/ice biomes. If minetest had biome support it would be a lot easier but I'm relying on snow biomes having ice blocks in them. This doesn't prevent taiga (snow forests) from melting and it makes it a lot harder if in the future having water freeze during winter is added (may then cause snow near rivers and oceans to never melt).

Don

by Don » Post

luewind wrote:I submitted the pull request.

I'm still working on making the melting behavior not melt the snow/ice biomes. If minetest had biome support it would be a lot easier but I'm relying on snow biomes having ice blocks in them. This doesn't prevent taiga (snow forests) from melting and it makes it a lot harder if in the future having water freeze during winter is added (may then cause snow near rivers and oceans to never melt).
I approve of your PR. I would like Nathan to look and approve before merging.

As for biome support, I wish! That would make life much better. What if you do not change snow_cover_5 to default:snowblock. Instead create a new node the same as default:snowblock. Then you can use default:snowblock for a biome check?

luewind

by luewind » Post

Here is a crazy idea: use minetest.find_nodes_in_area to get a list of snow and ice blocks near by in a cube of size 5 or 7 and make the melt rate proportionally probable to the number of positions that function returns. This way Ice biomes will hardly melt and with a little tweaking taigas will be able to have a slight freeze-thaw cycle. Even the month number could help. It could be something like prob=100(1-blockNum/maxBlocks) + month# , assume we exclude month number for November through March. Don't know if this would make it too complex.