[Mod] Australia 0.4

demon_boy

GitHub: vlapsley
In-game: demon_boy

Re: [Mod] Australia 0.4

by demon_boy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 22:37

Wuzzy wrote:Gives good result for a lot of regions. But some of the hills can be very steep and long. If rivers appear there, it looks even weirder. Sorry, no coordinates and seed for you, I may post one if I find such a hill again.

But it's better than my settings. My mapgen settings were just a quick and dirty first try.

I've spent so much time on this. My aim was to create vast flat areas with rolling hills and mountains with a maximum height of around 225.

Some mountains can get a bit weird at the top, with the occasional floatland (a pet hate of mine). But the noise there creates ridges and bluffs that I think add some gameplay in making some mountains difficult to navigate.

I actually have a really good idea for a separate subgame that involves purely that... mountaineering.

It's a balancing act: rivers that are wide enough, land that is flat like australia, but still has some hills and mountains. But not too high or 'alp-like'. Australia has an alpine region, but by name only. It's not alps like in Europe, Asia or the Americas.

Wuzzy wrote:Some generic remarks: For your upcoming Outback subgame, I think it will be totally OK to break with Minetest Game conventions. Some of the Minetest Game stuff won't even make sense there, like the awfully generic Tree (default:tree) or the 6 flowers.
I agree, making grass is probably hard and maybe a bit overcomplex.

For the moment I've kept the default game nodes in, but not using them. My reasoning is that those items could be found in a sunken boat and used by the player. Think of all the species of flora that are introduced by settlers.

Wuzzy wrote:Maybe a simpler way would be to simply add new dirt-with-grass nodes. I think this will be a simple way to add to the variety of the mod/subgame, especially with those many biomes. It will also make it easier to create smooth biome transitions. I suggest to add at least a dirt-with-grass which goes between the dry grass and the normal grass (in color). I feel the transition between dirt-with-grass and dirt-with-dry-grass is pretty "hard".

I agree that transition is hard. I can see a use for a dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass but how to blend that between two biomes? I don't want to create more biomes. I originally had planned about six more, but it was getting difficult to make each one unique.

Perhaps using the voxelmanipulator to find the biome transition area and place the new grass between the two. The same would be good between river and muddy water.

Wuzzy wrote:Oh, I noticed that in snowy regions, you don't use dirt with snow but dirt with grass instead. This should be fixed. Unless you want to remove the snow later, of course.

That was intentional. There is still an alpine biome with dirt-with-snow and snowblock. But, I also used the Victoria, Tasmania and Eastern Coasts biomes to have snow dotted on grass from y=140+ to have a transition to the alps. Sometimes the mountains don't get high/cold enough so you just have some patchy snow.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 02:35

I agree that transition is hard. I can see a use for a dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass but how to blend that between two biomes? I don't want to create more biomes. I originally had planned about six more, but it was getting difficult to make each one unique.

Well, I thought of more using this new grass in some of the existing biomes. And the biomes are arranged in a way that dirt-with-grass appears (usually) only next to dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass and dirt-with-dry-grass appears only next to dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass. So that dirt-with-grass and dirt-with-dry-grass does not (usually) appear next to each other.
Would that idea work?

For the moment I've kept the default game nodes in, but not using them. My reasoning is that those items could be found in a sunken boat and used by the player. Think of all the species of flora that are introduced by settlers.

Hey, this is actually quite clever! :-)
My projects: MineClone 2. Hades Revisited. Help modpack. A ton of other mods, see here.

demon_boy

by demon_boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 03:47

Wuzzy wrote:

Well, I thought of more using this new grass in some of the existing biomes. And the biomes are arranged in a way that dirt-with-grass appears (usually) only next to dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass and dirt-with-dry-grass appears only next to dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass. So that dirt-with-grass and dirt-with-dry-grass does not (usually) appear next to each other.
Would that idea work?

The idea works, but implementation is could be difficult. The Biome API doesn't support this.

I think one way might be to find where one or both of the biome blend noises (mg_biome_np_heat_blend and mg_biome_np_humidity_blend) are and change the top node using VoxelManipulator.

Or do we use an ABM to look for dirt_with_grass and dirt_with_dry_grass adjacent to each other and replace them both with dirt-with-dryish-greenish-grass.

Thanking about it the red nodes (sand, gravel and dirt) could all use a blend node to dirt_with_dry_grass. Reddish_dirt_with_patchy_grass?

Also, where grass and trees are placed along rivers, you can change the top node there using VM to get a real riparian feel.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 04:09

Oh boy. It looks like it is harder than I thought. :-(
My projects: MineClone 2. Hades Revisited. Help modpack. A ton of other mods, see here.

demon_boy

by demon_boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 04:22

Actually, I think the ABM method could be simple based on the existing grass spread function in default mod. Either edit this ABM or create a new one.

But will it pass the "does it look pleasing to the eye" test?

Code: Select all
--
-- Convert dirt to something that fits the environment
--

minetest.register_abm({
   nodenames = {"default:dirt"},
   neighbors = {
      "default:dirt_with_grass",
      "default:dirt_with_dry_grass",
      "default:dirt_with_snow",
      "group:grass",
      "group:dry_grass",
      "default:snow",
   },
   interval = 6,
   chance = 67,
   catch_up = false,
   action = function(pos, node)
      -- Most likely case, half the time it's too dark for this.
      local above = {x = pos.x, y = pos.y + 1, z = pos.z}
      if (minetest.get_node_light(above) or 0) < 13 then
         return
      end

-- Look for likely neighbors.
      local p2 = minetest.find_node_near(pos, 1, {"default:dirt_with_grass",
            "default:dirt_with_dry_grass", "default:dirt_with_snow"})
      if p2 then
         -- But the node needs to be under air in this case.
         local n2 = minetest.get_node(above)
         if n2 and n2.name == "air" then
            local n3 = minetest.get_node(p2)
            minetest.set_node(pos, {name = n3.name})
            return
         end
      end

-- Anything on top?
      local n2 = minetest.get_node(above)
      if not n2 then
         return
      end

local name = n2.name
      -- Snow check is cheapest, so comes first.
      if name == "default:snow" then
         minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:dirt_with_snow"})
      -- Most likely case first.
      elseif minetest.get_item_group(name, "grass") ~= 0 then
         minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:dirt_with_grass"})
      elseif minetest.get_item_group(name, "dry_grass") ~= 0 then
         minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:dirt_with_dry_grass"})
      end
   end
})

Wuzzy

No more Outback?

by Wuzzy » Sat May 13, 2017 11:39

Is it just me, or did the topic on your subgame “Outback” disappear for some reason?

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Otter

by Otter » Sun May 14, 2017 04:11

I have been exploring and I really like it. I just found a Eucalyptus camaldulensis! It didn't drop a limb on me so I am okay.
I don't know how far you plan to go with this, but I am looking forward to watching. Seems like Vegemite and Musk Sticks will need to be crafted. I am not sure the Silver Daisy is a Olearia argophylla. If it is then it could be used as a component for Musk Sticks. Vegemite could be an additional product as a result of beer making. Also an important craft.

demon_boy

Re: No more Outback?

by demon_boy » Sun May 14, 2017 06:39

Wuzzy wrote:Is it just me, or did the topic on your subgame “Outback” disappear for some reason?

There never was a topic called Outback. I mentioned the subgame was in development on this mod post as I had been making a lot of improvements to the Australia mod itself in the subgame. The Outback subgame is on GitHub for those interested.

But I wasn't satisfied the game was in a state to be released so never made an official post on the forums. I haven't worked on it since Christmas, but I will get back into it soon. And with the release of the game, I'll backport changes in the subgame to this mod.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun May 14, 2017 18:59

Oh, I forgot. I'm looking forward to the official release. :-)

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 22:26

This mod might need some updates in the future. I know about the Outback subgame, but it does not have all of the nodes that are present in this mod, so if a world is switched from this mod to Outback, there will be unknown nodes all over the place.

In Outback, some of the included mods have the same names as the mods that they are based on. To avoid conflicts, those included mods should have their names changed.
My whole legacy is an abomination.

Buddler

Location: Sometimes Redwood Island, sometimes Chillville, otherwise Germany
In-game: Buddler

by Buddler » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37

As unfinished as this may be, leading to savegame breakage with just about every update on Outback, it's looking good so far.

Otter wrote:I have been exploring and I really like it. I just found a Eucalyptus camaldulensis! It didn't drop a limb on me so I am okay.

Might be, uh, "fun" to make gum trees that can actually do that and change their trunk blocks into something harmful for as long as they fall. And/or to make gum tree trunk blocks explosive to the degree that they'll blow up your furnace and a number of blocks around it if you dare to use them as fuel.

Even more, well, "fun" would be if the mapgen could be made to create something like the Great Australian Bight: a landscape made of sand with sometimes nothing underneath it except for big caves that are completely concealed under the sand. If you dig the sand, you're in for a deep fall. The only solution would be not to dig.

Speaking of everything in Australia trying to kill you, will there be typical mobs one day, the vast majority of which can and will kill you? Crocodiles that'll actually hunt you? Roos? Wombats? Dingoes? Koalas (or even drop bears)? Platypi? Octopi? Sharks? Jellyfish? Snakes? Spiders (Grey Huntsman being the only peaceful kind, but also the biggest and scariest)?

Otter wrote:Vegemite could be an additional product as a result of beer making. Also an important craft.

I second that. In a world as hazardous as I can envision Outback/Australia to become, you'll need lots of food anyway.

Otter

by Otter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 13:50

You just got me thinking about Bush Tucker, Buddler. Lots of things need to end up being edible, cooked or raw that you would not generally consider trying to consume. :)

demon_boy

by demon_boy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47

I'm back after a 6-month hiatus with that other game - Minecraft.

I'm reviewing where the Outback game is at and I'm looking to reel the scope in and concentrate on getting a playable survival game released 3 months from now.

So that would certainly include some mobs with crocodiles being the most important and bush food to munch on.

Stay tuned.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:14

YES!!!
I'm looking really forward to it. I really want to know how it will work out.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Oblivious

In-game: Brielle

by Oblivious » Thu Aug 09, 2018 13:47

I'm really enjoying this mod. It's beautiful and I am astounded by the variety of trees and wood. I'm even starting to learn their botanical names.Aslo astounded by the size. 130 bits of wood from a Black Box.
I've found one small problem though, also with the trees. The tree trunk blocks aren't recognized as being in the same item class as default trees, and thus can't be burned (in the furnace) to make charcoal.I'm not a coder, so I have no idea what change needs to be made to fix this, but it would be helpful.

I just happened to be using another mod that specifically requires charcoal, so I've resort to using chat commands to give myself plain tree pieces, then trash the corresponding number of some of the tree.

P.S. As far as mobs go, it would be great to see some Australian creatures, but I've killed by cows twice in this world and I only started in it yesterday. Nasty things, cows are.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Sun Aug 12, 2018 19:45

Oblivious wrote:I'm really enjoying this mod. It's beautiful and I am astounded by the variety of trees and wood. I'm even starting to learn their botanical names.Aslo astounded by the size. 130 bits of wood from a Black Box.
I've found one small problem though, also with the trees. The tree trunk blocks aren't recognized as being in the same item class as default trees, and thus can't be burned (in the furnace) to make charcoal.I'm not a coder, so I have no idea what change needs to be made to fix this, but it would be helpful.

I just happened to be using another mod that specifically requires charcoal, so I've resort to using chat commands to give myself plain tree pieces, then trash the corresponding number of some of the tree.

P.S. As far as mobs go, it would be great to see some Australian creatures, but I've killed by cows twice in this world and I only started in it yesterday. Nasty things, cows are.

What charcoal mod are you using? I took a look at Australia's code and I have reasons to belive the charcoal mod you are using may be demanding specific trees instead of accepting all blocks from their group. But I'd need to see the charcoal mod you are using (there are many of those) in order to both confirm this and give you a solution. (a link to the charcoal mod you downloaded will be very useful)
It could even be a problem with a 3rd mod interacting with the other 2(make a test world with only australia and charcoal to confirm this). But if the problem is only australia and your charcoal mod, I'd need to see them both to help you. Even demon_boy may need to see your charcoal mod to help you.

Previous

Return to WIP Mods