Here mod devs, focus on making this wiki page epic..

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

And sax is saying the download link needs to lead to this forum. So it stays up to date. If I posted a download link to the mod itself and the mod maker updated his link, not only would i have an outdated link, but the link might even be deleted. So download link have to link to its respective thread. To keep it up to date.
Keep calm and code python^_^

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

I do think that what we have currently is already WAY better than nothing - and it has gotten a lot of work for me to get it up to what it is now. But sure, there is room for improvement.
Death Dealer wrote:
bgsmithjr wrote:Everytime you see a new post on More Ores, mod you go to look and it is not "updated", It is "i have bug". I use the new posts flag often. And it is time-consuming for me. Many junk posts.
thast very true. any new guy with a problem witch can be alot.. will post on the mod itself: /
It is possible to disable posting replies in topics on Mod Releases - I wonder if that would be beneficial...

Also, I *could* create a "Help" forum section. Dunno how "Bugs and Problems" would then work like.

Saxony

by Saxony » Post

celeron55 wrote:It is possible to disable posting replies in topics on Mod Releases - I wonder if that would be beneficial...

Also, I *could* create a "Help" forum section. Dunno how "Bugs and Problems" would then work like.
My 2c: you should disable replies on topics in Mod Releases and create a "Modding Help" or "Modding Problems". That way mod creators can have the mod releases forum for easy updating, and people can create bug reports/problems etc with the mod in the Modding Help section.
Minetest.com - The #1 Minetest fansite, for all your mod and texture pack needs!
Need help in Minetest? See the new Wiki!

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

I don't think disabling replies is a good idea. There would have to be 2 threads for each mod. Newbies would open a new thread for their own problem. How should a mod dev still find all these threads?

If there is a new version of a mod (maybe just on git) I'll have to write this in the first post of the mod release thread. How should users figure out what has changed? What if the update is not stable yet?

In my opinion you should keep it like that. The only other way is that people write their bug reports directly on GitHub, but I guess most of them won't and don't know how.
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

I guess it's not major, once minetest is stable, but while it's in dev, its imparative to know when mods are updated. And it checking every single new post is time consuming, when most of the new posts on a mod page are just conversation.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

Saxony wrote:
celeron55 wrote:It is possible to disable posting replies in topics on Mod Releases - I wonder if that would be beneficial...

My 2c: you should disable replies on topics in Mod Releases and create a "Modding Help" or "Modding Problems". That way mod creators can have the mod releases forum for easy updating, and people can create bug reports/problems etc with the mod in the Modding Help section.

Or change modding general to modding help and disable replies on the releases.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

bgsmithjr wrote:I guess it's not major, once minetest is stable, but while it's in dev, its imparative to know when mods are updated. And it checking every single new post is time consuming, when most of the new posts on a mod page are just conversation.
So what's the better method? If we don't have the mod releases forum, modders would have to check each post in the mod help section, this would be even more time consuming if newbies open a new thread for their problem. Some of them would not know what mod their problem is concerning.
I guess I would also publish new mod versions if minetest is stable. And new versions have new features, new features have bugs. For a mod list I think Saxony's wiki is the best thing as a community-driven site.
He can easily add and remove mods from the list. That would be harder for c55 because he can't just favor some mods and only put them in his list (maybe that is just my understanding of an official wiki ;) )
Last edited by Jeija on Sat Apr 07, 2012 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

Jeija wrote:
bgsmithjr wrote:I guess it's not major, once minetest is stable, but while it's in dev, its imparative to know when mods are updated. And it checking every single new post is time consuming, when most of the new posts on a mod page are just conversation.
So what's the better method? If we don't have the mod releases forum, modders would have to check each post in the mod help section, this would be even more time consuming if newbies open a new thread for their problem. Some of them would not know what mod their problem is concerning.
I guess I would also publish new mod versions if minetest is stable. And new versions have new features, new features have bugs. For a mod list I think Saxony's wiki is the best thing as a community-driven site.
You miss understood me, I said keep 'mod releases'
change modding general to 'modding help'
disable replies on mod releases
In all four of my posts I never said remove mod releases.
And celeron said he suggests the forum only, but others are free to do as they please.
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

"Mod releases forum" means that you can have a conversation in these threads.
disable replies on mod releases
Doing that would not be beneficial in my opinion.
(if you didn't do already finish reading this post)
All in all, I think your changes would make it harder for newbies to find out where to put their problem, although it might be useful for powerusers with git account.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

If you didn't read my post. 0.4 is dev, dev is aimed for power users. 0.3. is stable stable is aimed for normal users. 0.3 doesn't use mods. I also said change modding general to modding help
How is Modding Help, making dificult to find help?
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

I am sorry, maybe you do not understand english that well.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Once again the most important points:
> Some newbies open a new thread for every problem. Do you agree?
> Some newbies don't even know what mod causes their problem. Do you agree?
> There will be a lot of threads in the Modding Help section.
> For developers it will be hard to find the posts talking about their mods.
> Some bugs that cannot be fixed (e.g. because an enginge feature is missing). Newbies keep posting this bug in new threads.
--> All in all, this would flood the Modding Help section because users cannot reply in the modding releases section.
--> Solution: Help & Release Thread for each mod

So why shouldn't we just use a wiki for the mod releases and the forum for the questions? The only idea I have is to rename "Modding General" to "Modding Dev Questions" or sth like that, so modding releases is for normal users and Modding Dev Questions is for developers that want to create a mod.
Last edited by Jeija on Sat Apr 07, 2012 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

Jeija wrote:Once again the most important points:
> Some newbies open a new thread for every problem. Do you agree? Irrelevant. Having MODDING HELP will make this happen less
> Some newbies don't even know what mod causes their problem. Do you agree? Irrelevant, seeing help mod or not will draw their attention
> There will be a lot of threads in the Modding Help section.=- There are a lot of threads in modding general
> For developers it will be hard to find the posts talking about their mods. - I dont understand
> Some bugs that cannot be fixed (e.g. because an enginge feature is missing). Newbies keep posting this bug in new threads.
--> All in all, this would flood the Modding Help section because users cannot reply in the modding releases section.
--> Solution: Help & Release Thread for each mod

So why shouldn't we just use a wiki for the mod releases and the forum for the questions? The only idea I have is to rename "Modding General" to "Modding Dev Questions" or sth like that, so modding releases is for normal users and Modding Dev Questions is for developers that want to create a mod.
The rest is just a different subject.

There is no topic section labeled help, if you had modding help. People would always go there because it has help.
As a developer find my threads is as easy as clicking the profile link at the top and going to my posts.
My idea does have downsides but not what you mentioned. Every problem would get posted in modding help. Because it is the only topic with help in the title. As a developer, your mod shouldn't make people need help. And it would be in modding problems where everyone gets a chance to help.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

I understand you are trying to think on a large scale but I don't see the downside.
Mod Releases->Recipes, ScreenShots, Updates, Downloads.
Mod Help-> Help where everyone can post their solutions. And occasionally newbies will post engine problems, and bugs here.
Finding my mod pages. At the top click profile->My Topics->[MyMod]
So when I goto a the mod release section checking to see if mod has been updated to newest dev releases, and click 'new posts', I don't have to filter through pages of conversation.
I am sure we can see eye to eye about your seperation of dev and stable.
But I think that there should be seperate forums. Newbies-Stable, Tinkerer-Dev
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

As a developer, your mod shouldn't make people need help. And it would be in modding problems where everyone gets a chance to help.
Maybe this is just my point of view, but this is impossible. Especially for a mod like mesecons. If there is an api change (minetest engine) or a internal change, I cannot check every single part of the mod. Also in mod releases everyone can help right now as it is, and it is well sorted.
The point is not how to find my own thread, but how to find all these help threads talking about my mod, maybe they don't even mention the mod's name?

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

Jeija wrote:
As a developer, your mod shouldn't make people need help. And it would be in modding problems where everyone gets a chance to help.
Maybe this is just my point of view, but this is impossible. Especially for a mod like mesecons. If there is an api change (minetest engine) or a internal change, I cannot check every single part of the mod. Also in mod releases everyone can help right now as it is, and it is well sorted.
The point is not how to find my own thread, but how to find all these help threads talking about my mod, maybe they don't even mention the mod's name?
Mod releases isn't for problems or help, that is modding general. And that's the beauty of it. Everyone will help, you don't have to. I just told you how to find your own thread. Goto profile at the top, click my topics. [Mod] Mesecons.
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Not everyone can help. For mesecons it's only sfan, me & Temperest. Most of the others don't know how it works. This is an example for a difficult problem. Only the mesecon devs can answer it. It is very easy to find in the mesecons thread for us devs, it would be way harder if there was a new thread in the modding help section for rabbibob's problem with a title like "Want to power my bobblocks". And there will be cheap thread titles like that.
Last edited by Jeija on Sat Apr 07, 2012 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

Well sfan5 is a moderator who reads everypost in everytopic anyway, so another irrelevant point. I see you are sure you would not like that change. You opinion will most likely be duely noted.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

I don't really care, but I won't/can't answer every help post then. Go and change it, I hope sfan5 will do the job for me.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Because other options apparently don't seem much or at all better than the current way, I am sticking with the current way.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

celeron55 wrote:Because other options apparently don't seem much or at all better than the current way, I am sticking with the current way.
Thanks! This is the best solution.

Me

by Me » Post

Ideas:
Vertical:
1: Pistons
2: Sticky pistons
3: Movestones
4: Sticky movestones
Mese:
1: Mesetorch (more like redstone torch)
2: Vertical mesecons that do not hug walls
Problems:
1: When I right click on the microcontroller to program it it says "Left Click:" in the upper left hand corner, freezes up, and the only response I get is when I press escape, so it dosn't program, and then I right click it and it starts all over again.
thesis:
Please help. Really need it and I accidetally deleted the first message so sorry for the briefness. I'll be keeping in check for a new download so please keep blogging & tell me where to get it.

Me

by Me » Post

almost forgot, to celeron55, need minecarts for rails urgently, and to jeija, the terminal had a problem loading the images for the mesecons and now i only have blocks that are a different color on one side compared to the other side, with no other features whatsoever unless it's somthing that dosn't occupy a full block, still poor graphics. hop i'm npt a bother, ;p

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Post

Maybe this could be a solution when it' s finished?

http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2854

Its big advantage is compatibility with all related mod managers and it is also simpler to maintain, having the information in the database.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

Me

by Me » Post

thanks, i'l give it a try (if possible, little time on hand) ;p