[abandoned Mod] Squaresville (Cities) [squaresville]

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

Re: [abandoned Mod] Squaresville (Cities) [squaresville]

by MCL » Post

Has anybody gotten this to work on 5.6? If so, can you please show me what you changed in the code? Thanks.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

mcaygerhard
GitHub: mckaygerhard
IRC: mckaygerhard
In-game: mckaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

MCL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 00:41
Has anybody gotten this to work on 5.6? If so, can you please show me what you changed in the code? Thanks.
use the 0.4.17 most better games and mods now are for this.. due break compatibility, i already played with the minenux client 4.0.17 or you can also use the oldcoder version

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

MCL wrote:
In addition to the zip provide by Duane, did you download the patch ver50.zip and apply it? You can apply that with a command line or by inspecting it manually
mcaygerhard wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 13:32
MCL wrote:
use the 0.4.17 most better games and mods now are for this.. due break compatibility, i already played with the minenux client 4.0.17 or you can also use the oldcoder version
Couldn't find the source to Minenux nor a Linux download. Meh. Same with oldcoder stuff. In fact now I recall having a hell of a time trying to use the "final minetest Linux kit" and failing. What's the point of all this supposed "compatibility" if it's so bleeding hard to download anyway?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

MCL

by MCL » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 13:32
MCL wrote:
I wanted to use this in a game and most people have switched to 5.x.x by now. 0.4.17 doesn't even have the CDB downloader built-in

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 17:12
Couldn't find the source to Minenux nor a Linux download. Meh. Same with oldcoder stuff. In fact now I recall having a hell of a time trying to use the "final minetest Linux kit" and failing. What's the point of all this supposed "compatibility" if it's so bleeding hard to download anyway?
Sources: https://git.minetest.io/minenux

PAckages: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... ux:minenux

was not so hard
Last edited by mcaygerhard on Wed Jun 21, 2023 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

MCL wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 02:19
I wanted to use this in a game and most people have switched to 5.x.x by now. 0.4.17 doesn't even have the CDB downloader built-in
CDB seems an excuse to lazy people, i noted most mods that have best improvements are not inside contendb, contendb just banned anybody that dont have same thinking like thems..

by example i promoted excelent work of poikilos and some other mods and due that just got banned.. a child behaviour

MCL

by MCL » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 21:27
MCL wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 02:19
CDB seems an excuse to lazy people, i noted most mods that have best improvements are not inside contendb, contendb just banned anybody that dont have same thinking like thems..

by example i promoted excelent work of poikilos and some other mods and due that just got banned.. a child behaviour
I'm fully with you on this. ContentDB banned some of my mods too because the admins have a personal grudge against me and whenever I call them out on this they always respond with the same argument - "You can always create your own CDB instance, nobody's forcing you to use the official one", which is some pretty stupid logic; try applying it to YouTube or Windows. I really feel like Minetest has gotten more authoritarian in the last two or three years and many other people noticed this too. I don't use Minetest these days as much as I used to and I'm working on my own voxel game engine. Minetest's weaknesses are finally showing and the centralization and outdated+bloated tech behind it will eventually destroy it.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:

Plain wrong. ContentDB doesn't ban "anybody that dont have same thinking like thems".

I also highly doubt that you were banned for "just promoting excellent work". Without evidence that this was indeed the ban reason, your statements are meaningless.

Same for you, MCL. Burden of proof to prove that there is a "personal grudge" lies on you; I believe the reason for your mods not being allowed usually lies within their content. If anyone else submitted the very same mods they would get the very same response.

As for Minetest getting "more authoritarian": Disagreed. Minetest was always """authoritarian""" in that public services (like the forums, or more recently, the ContentDB) were moderated; there never was anarchy. I recall proprietary mods and games consequently being removed from the forums.

And finally, as you have been told already: If you're unhappy with the benevolent dictators, feel free to start your own service where you are the one paying for the hosting :)

(yes, this logic may be applied to companies just as well: if you're unhappy with a company and their product, go to the competition; if there is no competition, feel free to start one - the difference being that companies are for-profit whereas Minetest services generally are non-profits and thus have no financial interest to entertain your shenanigans)
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

LMD wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 16:15
mcaygerhard wrote:
Plain wrong. ContentDB doesn't ban "anybody that dont have same thinking like thems".

you are so stupidity wrong.. TAKE AN EXAMPLE:

i take a mod.. random_spawn talk with Nathan Salapat and he tell me that do not have interest in continue basically .. in fact its not in CONTENDB CRAP https://github.com/NathanSalapat/random ... -944909270

so i take and improved, change the code and after a check noted that is not the same.. i add supprot for beds and improved performance.. also adds nil checks for server with high amount of users (more than 99)

so i rename my work to https://codeberg.org/minenux/minetest-mod-spawnrand and also at <removed link to malicious minetest.io site>

in contendb two user liked the mod.. but was demoted to "draf" umm .. so convenient..

and surprised.. the next comments were only "this is a hijaked mod" .. etc etc.. and "does not provide any featured.."

and more surprises: those comment only from people that do not play so hard.. only cares coding..

my mod was banned cos i cited the site "minetest.org" event the minetest.net.. in oldcoder site.. my suggestions were just taking in consideration.. support for my older things.. at least in a minor level..

basically i cannot put the url .. cited poikilos or use oldcoder names

LMD

by LMD » Post

Yes, you "cannot put the URL". We're not directing users to malicious sites; I've removed the URL from your post as well. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

There's nothing wrong with having to use a trusted, reliable Git host. Why didn't you just use the Codeberg URL?

You're also using the word "banning" wrong it seems: A package not being approved isn't "banning". It seems you were never banned to begin with; at least you currently aren't banned. You're misrepresenting the current state here.

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 06:08
Yes, you "cannot put the URL". We're not directing users to malicious sites; I've removed the URL from your post as well. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.
for your concern most of the mods changes are taken from that site. by examle lasted NSSM from tenplus1.. so its clear is stupidity

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 06:08
You're also using the word "banning" wrong it seems: A package not being approved isn't "banning". It seems you were never banned to begin with; at least you currently aren't banned. You're misrepresenting the current state here.
piff my messages was clear when i loged in: banned , also the url is cited here in the forums.. so is not "non trusted" site!!

LMD

by LMD » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 18:42
also the url is cited here in the forums.. so is not "non trusted" site!!
Please show me any such "citations" and I will gladly remove the malicious links. Arguing that a site is "trustworthy" just because its URL appears in a public forum where everyone can post is ridiculous.

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 15:50
I'm fully with you on this. ContentDB banned some of my mods too because the admins have a personal grudge against me and whenever I call them out on this they always respond with the same argument -
complety agreee.. there are more users.. in same situation
"You can always create your own CDB instance, nobody's forcing you to use the official one", which is some pretty stupid logic; try applying it to YouTube or Windows. I really feel like Minetest has gotten more authoritarian in the last two or three years and many other people noticed this too.
you know.. it.. they seems enjoy it
I don't use Minetest these days as much as I used to and I'm working on my own voxel game engine. Minetest's weaknesses are finally showing and the centralization and outdated+bloated tech behind it will eventually destroy it.
maybe all the users that dont agreee must join effors with oldcoder and poikilos.. Makisn mayber fuck up the minetest with that bussines model.. but i pretty understand why now

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 18:48
mcaygerhard wrote:
Please show me any such "citations" and I will gladly remove the malicious links. Arguing that a site is "trustworthy" just because its URL appears in a public forum where everyone can post is ridiculous.
incredible.. you really may fear what that persons can do right? .. i just imagine a more young oldcoder and welllMakins alredy are doing a good real job.. XD XD XD

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 18:48
mcaygerhard wrote:
XD XD you only removed one.. still are 250+ more in the forum XD of course.. What can never be erased is that the site is already recorded in the users who know that there is more there.

LMD

by LMD » Post

Their "work"? If you mean badmouthing the original project they forked from, exaggerating their own contributions, while discrediting and belittling the ongoing work of the developers, yes, I don't like that kind of destructive "work".

Trust has to be earned. OldCoder's sites aren't trustworthy and shouldn't be linked to.

What I find particularly sketchy about the minetest.io mirror is that it is not made clear that it is actually a mirror not endorsed by the people whose repos are mirrored. Free software means you're free to mirror the repos, but you should indicate that most "accounts" on your mirror are not real accounts by real people. Besides, the mirror seems to be outdated.

MCL

by MCL » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 19:40
Their "work"? If you mean badmouthing the original project they forked from, exaggerating their own contributions, while discrediting and belittling the ongoing work of the developers, yes, I don't like that kind of destructive "work".

Trust has to be earned. OldCoder's sites aren't trustworthy and shouldn't be linked to.

What I find particularly sketchy about the minetest.io mirror is that it is not made clear that it is actually a mirror not endorsed by the people whose repos are mirrored. Free software means you're free to mirror the repos, but you should indicate that most "accounts" on your mirror are not real accounts by real people. Besides, the mirror seems to be outdated.
Minetest is not a trademark and everybody has the right to use it. Thanks to (B)OldCoder's site I was able to find my old mods and games that I accidentally lost in 2020.

LMD

by LMD » Post

MCL wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 21:22
Minetest is not a trademark and everybody has the right to use it.
I did not construe a trademark violation. I'm merely pointing out that "Final Minetest" is obviously a hostile fork.

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

MCL wrote:
LMD wrote:
... Besides, the mirror seems to be outdated.
Minetest is not a trademark and everybody has the right to use it. Thanks to (B)OldCoder's site I was able to find my old mods and games that I accidentally lost in 2020.
that's damn right dude! XD long life to old coder! and poikilos, still we can find oldcoder minetest org dite here in the forum.. hell yeah

also thanks to that others modders can find many pieces of codes.. the only two mods that are 100% lost are those used in complete version of cottages and canadian towns

Midnight
GitHub: MidnightPhantom
IRC: Dragon
In-game: Dragon_Abysss

by Midnight » Post

Hey everyone, anyone has a working link to this mod?

mcaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

Midnight wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 15:00
i try to work with this but seems nobody are interesting in help

Midnight

by Midnight » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 15:47
Midnight wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 15:00
I try to work with this but seems nobody are interesting in help
Sorry to hear that. But this mod is way too good to be abandoned. BTW I have actually posted a mod named mystic_agriculture(redo) on CDB so to repost a mod you just have to name it something else. And also mystic_agriculture and resource_crops mods do exactly the same thing and still kept even though mystic_agriculture is better.

Midnight

by Midnight » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 00:20
MCL wrote:
LMD wrote:
... Besides, the mirror seems to be outdated.
that's damn right dude! XD long life to old coder! and poikilos, still we can find oldcoder minetest org dite here in the forum.. hell yeah

also thanks to that others modders can find many pieces of codes.. the only two mods that are 100% lost are those used in complete version of cottages and canadian towns
Also, what is this OldCoder's, how to use it please tell me I as a learner am curious to know about it.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

mcaygerhard wrote: the only two mods that are 100% lost are those used in complete version of cottages and canadian towns
I...guess I'd know if I'd have lost my cottages mod somewhere? There may be diffrent versions, and merging even the reduced PR from flux(ionary) is still a pain with Github access from the command line beeing difficult to me, but...lost? Not really?

The canadian village type is a diffrent issue. Those are...kind of lost. I still have the schematics somewhere, but what we lack are the actual *blocks* those houses are built of. Mauvebic wasn't willing (or rather: able to) provide his modpack mm2 with all the textures and definitions of nodes to the public. And without those the schematics don't really work. Problems with licenses of textures cannot be solved that easily, and Mauvebic used a ton of nodebox-based blocks. Sorting those out from his modpack wouldn't be trivial.
Midnight wrote: Also, what is this OldCoder's, how to use it please tell me I as a learner am curious to know about it.
He used to be a part of the MineTest community. He was very helpful and had a focus on preserving servers from getting lost/abandoned. Sadly in the end he behaved in a way that was beyound acceptable. Be very careful and best avoid interaction.

Eventually I managed to get the mod to run with the following modifications:
  • replace "default:polluted_dirt" with "squaresville:polluted_dirt" in deco.lua
  • make sure squaresville.single_node or squaresville.single_node_ruin is set to true (either config setting or editing init.lua directly)
  • in init.lua, change occourances of

Code: Select all

minetest.set_mapgen_params({mgname="singlenode", flags="nolight"})
    to

Code: Select all

minetest.set_mapgen_params({mgname="singlenode"})
    (remove the nolight flag)
  • can't hurt to choose singlenode mapgen manually when creating a world
A lot of warnings will remain, and setting a parameter that way is pretty dirty, but it ought to run. At least it does with latest MT.
A list of my mods can be found here.