[Mod] anticheat [anticheat]

xeranas

Re: anticheat

by xeranas » Post

Either way your mod is not GPL: (misleading license)
Linking a GPL covered work statically or dynamically with other modules is making a combined work based on the GPL covered work. Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License cover the whole combination.
Or you violating GPL (by hidding source code):
if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.
Even by asking source code is provided only for "trustworthy" so definitely not for everyone.

I understand mod author intentions. However what stops me from creating "anticheat over 9000" mod include crappy binary which do some harm to user?. If there no source code its not open source as simple as that. Obfuscated source form is not valid source code.
The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.

Thomas-S
GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Post

You can use this tool to decompile: https://github.com/bobsayshilol/luajit-decomp
It took me about 5 minutes to see the source code.

bigfoot
GitHub: bigfoot547
IRC: bigfoot547 or bigfoot
In-game: bigfoot547 or bigfoot

by bigfoot » Post

Do you detect a player using noclip by checking if they are inside of a block or some other method?
One way to get a false-positive with the mentioned method is with the mesecons mod and a piston pushing someone into a wall.

red-001
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Post

As far as I can see It also checks if all nodes around the player are also a solid block.

bigfoot
GitHub: bigfoot547
IRC: bigfoot547 or bigfoot
In-game: bigfoot547 or bigfoot

by bigfoot » Post

Ah. Okay.

SaKeL
GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

i get an warnings in the log :/

Code: Select all

WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "boneworld" accessed at .minetest/mods/anticheat/init.lua:111
WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "boneworld" accessed at .minetest/mods/anticheat/init.lua:238

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

rnd this mod is nice and its works but.... i doesnt on 0.5.15 or at least to me
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

xXxCheatyHackerxXx

by xXxCheatyHackerxXx » Post

I have downloaded your mod and by the terms of the GPL3 I am requesting that you send me the source code.

xXxCheatyHackerxXx

by xXxCheatyHackerxXx » Post

I can see that you are active in other threads, you are breaking the contract (GPL3) by not sending me sources. You are being illegal.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Under the terms of the GPL version 3 I hereby request the source code. Not providing me with the source code conflicts with the terms of the license you choose and will be reported at gpl-violations.org.

red-001
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Post

The mod isn't even released under GPL, it is released under LPGL and the file you a requesting is released under WTFPL, which doesn't require you to release the source code. Even if it was released under GPL it would still be pointless considering that rnd is the owner of the source code. If you want to see the code just use a decompiler. You are fully within your rights to do so as WTFPL places no limitations on you.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

red-001 wrote:the file you a requesting is released under WTFPL
Firstly, it's unclear whether the compiled file or the source for the compiled file is released under WTFPL. In both cases it's pretty meaningless since you don't have the source.
red-001 wrote:Even if it was released under GPL it would still be pointless considering that rnd is the owner of the source code
That's not how GPL works, you license your code under GPL -> you need to fulfil the requirements. Who owns the code is irrelevant to adhering to the licenses terms.
red-001 wrote:If you want to see the code just use a decompiler.
There is no working decompiler for the current version of anticheat_routines.bin in the repo.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

red-001 wrote:The mod isn't even released under GPL,
It was until the post was edited.

Fortunately Google has a cached version of the page before the edit was made.

http://imgur.com/a/Uwc0c

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... %7Clang_en

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

sfan5 wrote:
red-001 wrote:Even if it was released under GPL it would still be pointless considering that rnd is the owner of the source code
That's not how GPL works, you license your code under GPL -> you need to fulfil the requirements. Who owns the code is irrelevant to adhering to the licenses terms.
Actually this is entirely incorrect.

A copyright holder that owns 100% of the work (source) owns 100% or the work.

That entitles him to release the binary as he sees fit. Including a license for *OTHERS* that specifies license terms of the work of art.

There is nothing that allows anyone to demand to see his source code.

Another consequence is that because nobody has the source code, nobody can distribute it (gpl clause).

For this very reason, the binary can not be distributed through the forum, as it would make the minetest forum redistribute a GPL work that it can't produce the sources for. And people could demand the sources from the minetest forum operator.

So, the uploaded binary file needs to be removed from the forum.

saavedra29
GitHub: saavedra29

by saavedra29 » Post

I have installed the anticheat, configured the minetest.conf with "secure.enable_security = false" and made the "anticheat_routines.bin" file executable for all. When i run the server i get the error

Code: Select all

anticheat/init.lua:100: attempt to call local 'anticheat_routines' (a nil value)
and then crash. Does anybody have idea what's wrong?

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

wont work :I and i need it

rnd
GitHub: ac-minetest
IRC: ac_minetest
In-game: rnd

by rnd » Post

Update:
tested in minetest 0.4.16, singleplayer with secure.enable_security = true
To work you need to add in minetest.conf : secure.trusted_mods = anticheat
1EvCmxbzl5KDu6XAunE1K853Lq6VVOsT

usename

by usename » Post

Last edited by usename on Fri Aug 03, 2018 02:23, edited 2 times in total.
Play my game at https://protop.link/rock-it-to-space! Visit my site for information, posts, and games at https://protop.link!

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

usename wrote:Don't use this mod. It is proprietary and closed source. Use the build in minetest anticheat instead. It is practically the same, free (as in freedom) software, and not PROPRIETARY.
it's open source, it' under LGPL and you can find the public repo here : https://github.com/ac-minetest/anticheat/
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Naj wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:it's open source, it' under LGPL and you can find the public repo here : https://github.com/ac-minetest/anticheat/
Sources of "anticheat_routines.bin" are not distributed. It can't be called open source.
Exactly. It still violates the GPL terms.

rnd
GitHub: ac-minetest
IRC: ac_minetest
In-game: rnd

by rnd » Post

Naj wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:it's open source, it' under LGPL and you can find the public repo here : https://github.com/ac-minetest/anticheat/
Sources of "anticheat_routines.bin" are not distributed. It can't be called open source.
What are you talking about? Its trivial to see the source if you are not lazy - as noticed by earlier post:
Thomas-S wrote:You can use this tool to decompile: https://github.com/bobsayshilol/luajit-decomp
It took me about 5 minutes to see the source code.
Are you a lazy person expecting other people to do work for you? Here, if you are a lazy person i included it in original download.

usename wrote:Don't use this mod. It is proprietary and closed source. Use the build in minetest anticheat instead. It is practically the same, free (as in freedom) software, and not PROPRIETARY.
Practically the same huh? As in one actually works as verified by several server owners and another one spams fake alerts. I wonder why people waste so much time discussing stuff that "does not work" :) And its not closed source, its just not meant for lazy people who like to steal code and use it without mentioning real authors.
1EvCmxbzl5KDu6XAunE1K853Lq6VVOsT

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

The minetest default anticheat is nothing compared to this

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

oh. i didn''t knew that... Why it isn't distributed?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Naj wrote:If the ability of decompiling makes a software open source then what is closed source ? That's a real and interresting question (for me at last).
No, actually it is not. The readme in the repository says it is GPL. The forum post says it is LGPL except the binary. So so either the forum post or the repository's readme are wrong and need adjustment.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Naj wrote: Sources of "anticheat_routines.bin" are not distributed. It can't be called open source.
Exactly. It still violates the GPL terms.
There are no violations of copyright, GPL or otherwise in this mod. The author has all the permissions granted by copyright law to release files under the GPL and the WTFPL, and at the same time withhold source code for files that he authored or owns the copyright for.

I'm not making stuff up here. If there would be any violation then I would be the first one to complain about it.

The whole reason that this is allowed is because he is the author of the code (and especially, the `bin` file). As long as he owns the copyright in full, he can release it in any way he sees fit, including in incompatible ways that prevent anyone else from redistributing it or even using it. Such is just the way that copyright works.