[Mod] Digtron tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

Re: [Mod]Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron][0.

by Chibi ghost » Post

if you have goop mod then the alarm should go off every 30 seconds lol
I would extend that alarm to go off if lava is encountered

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

This is an amazing mod!
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

hajo

by hajo » Post

It looks like there are some bugs left, from debug.txt:

Code: Select all

2017-01-05 21:19:17: WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "status" inside a function at ...minetest-0.4.15\bin\..\mods\digtron/node_controllers.lua:276.
2017-01-05 21:19:17: WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "newpos" inside a function at ...minetest-0.4.15\bin\..\mods\digtron/node_controllers.lua:276.
And I had a crash at exit from the builder-formspec:

2017-01-05 21:27:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'digtron' in callback node_on_receive_fields(): ...mp\minetest-0.4.15\bin\..\mods\digtron/node_builders.lua:88: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'period' (a nil value)
2017-01-05 21:27:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-01-05 21:27:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...mp\minetest-0.4.15\bin\..\mods\digtron/node_builders.lua:88: in function <...mp\minetest-0.4.15\bin\..\mods\digtron/node_builders.lua:75>

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

hajo wrote:Indeed, I'm curious - Thanks for those details !
No problem. I've tried to heavily comment the code and keep it reasonably tidy, so you might find it interesting to crack open node_controllers.lua and have a look at the execute_cycle method. That's the heart of where the Digtron cycle is run.

I'll try out that stripey texture, too. Will be a good idea to put that on the digger when I make it do damage to creatures that get caught in a moving digger head. :) (Sadly, I haven't spotted an easy way to make the Digtron put the resulting meat chunks into inventory. That'll be a stretch goal.)

Having the Digtron make a special noise when it digs ore actually looks rather challenging. There isn't anything on the definition of ore nodes or ore node products that identifies them as "ore", and I don't like the idea of hard-coding in an explicit list. Maybe I can add a spot in init.lua where people can put in a list of items they'd like to be alerted over, and then if someone wants to use this mod with other mods containing new types of ore they can add their own custom alarms in there. I'll look into that.
Chibi ghost wrote:I would extend that alarm to go off if lava is encountered
Definitely. In fact, I think that'll warrant a much more urgent alarm.

Also on my to-do list is adding a way to flag certain node types as undiggable, if desired. That way lava could be made impenetrable to Digtrons. I'll see how much I can get done on this.
hajo wrote:It looks like there are some bugs left, from debug.txt:
I already fixed the status and newpos declarations in the last commit I submitted to GitHub yesterday, but that builder formspec crash looks unfamiliar. I'll check it out as soon as I get home. It's located in the code I was messing around with last night to fix the locations of the build indicator markers. I bet what happened is that you put a non-numeric value into the "period" field and then clicked "save & show?" Just reading through the code, it seems like that would be a way to get a nil value into there (and it should also crash if you put a non-numeric value into the "offset" field). Thanks for catching that.

hajo

by hajo » Post

FaceDeer wrote:make a special noise when it digs ore actually looks rather challenging. ..
I don't like the idea of hard-coding in an explicit list.
Maybe the other way around: make a short list of common stuff,
like dirt/sand/stone, and do a crunch-sound for everything else.

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

suggestion:
a digtron structure node variant that is non see through and non walkable and climbable, and a digtron glass, and some a list of blocks the digrton will move (by default have all non natural minetest_game blocks in there) as it would be cool to make a moving mining house with beds

also a digtron chair that will try to stop the annoying glitch where you move through blocks if the digtron moves too fast

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Diamond knight wrote:suggestion:
a digtron structure node variant that is non see through and non walkable and climbable, and a digtron glass, and some a list of blocks the digrton will move (by default have all non natural minetest_game blocks in there) as it would be cool to make a moving mining house with beds

also a digtron chair that will try to stop the annoying glitch where you move through blocks if the digtron moves too fast
I've noticed that movement glitch and I'm not too sure how to go about fixing it. I think the problem is that the node updates and player movement are not an atomic operation, even though the code is telling it all to happen simultaneously it's not all quite 100% synched up. Something I'll look into though, there might be some trick to it that I'm unaware of.

Adding new types of "structural" node that will be counted as part of the digtron and dragged along with it as it moves is quite easy, you just need to add nodes to digtron group 1. However, there are some important caveats.

Any node that you add as a Digtron component can't be built by a Digtron, otherwise it'll become part of the Digtron as soon as it's built and will block the builder node's output location. Similarly, the Digtron would "assimilate" such nodes if it bumped into them. This happens if you crash two Digtrons together, too.

If the node has any special metadata associated with it the movement code for the Digtron will probably wreck it. I initially investigated the possibility of adding a mobile furnace to the Digtron, for example, so that one could carry out crafting as one moves. But there's a ton of code in furnaces that assumes it's in a fixed location and moving it blows it all up.

So I think it'd generally be a bad idea to add existing nodes to the digtron group. I could add a bunch of other decorative "structural" nodes as an add-on to the mod, so you can build a basic moving house out of it. But something fancier than that might be a bit beyond the scope of this mod.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Not a huge update tonight, but whittling my way through the to-do list:
  • Fixed hajo's crash when setting non-numeric values for period and offset in the builder
  • Added a water "alert" sound. Since water doesn't really cause much practical difficulty it's not a buzzer or klaxon, it's just a splashy-splooshy sound to let you know you're working next to water. Note that since Digtrons only look one node "ahead" the splashy-splooshy sound won't happen until you're actually moving into the water.
  • Added a lava alert sound. This is a more alarming "woop woop woop!" sound, since lava hurts.
  • Made lava impassible by default. This can be changed by editing a setting in init.lua (I really need to get around to making a proper config file). The lava alert is still very handy, though, since it'll let you know why your Digtron stopped and maybe be careful about opening the porthole to check what's on the other side.
  • Added action logging for all node-affecting operations (digtron movement, building, and digging).
  • New digger head texture by Hajo. I left the old texture in the textures folder, if anyone preferred it edit the node definitions in node_diggers.lua to bring it back.

hajo

by hajo » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Diamond knight wrote:it would be cool to make a moving mining house with beds
I think it'd generally be a bad idea to add existing nodes to the digtron group. ..
I could add a bunch of other decorative "structural" nodes as an add-on to the mod,
For building really compact machines, it would be useful
to have nodes that combine features.

E.g. a 'compact storage' as both fuel- and normal inventory
(and maybe also includes that lamp), but with only 8+8 slots.

Or a multi-controller, that can move the digtron in any direction,
but needs a remotecontrol to operate.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Just.. wow. I've only tried the mining part of it yet but I'm already impressed.
You've made a very nicely designed and well programmed mod - keep up the good work!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

hajo

by hajo » Post

FaceDeer wrote:on my to-do list is adding a way to flag certain node types as undiggable, if desired.
That way lava could be made impenetrable to Digtrons.
Also: chests, and protected areas.

I made an entry for the digtron on the wiki.
Mostly just the first posting of this thread,
so no pictures of the modules and recipes yet.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

hajo wrote: For building really compact machines, it would be useful
to have nodes that combine features. E.g. a 'compact storage' as both fuel- and normal inventory
(and maybe also includes that lamp), but with only 8+8 slots.
I'll add that to the todo list.
hajo wrote: Or a multi-controller, that can move the digtron in any direction,
but needs a remotecontrol to operate.
This is already done, kind of - just use the screwdriver to change the direction the control node is facing and the Digtron will go in the new direction when it is triggered. Or did you mean something else?
hajo wrote: Also: chests, and protected areas.
Already done, Digtron respects the can_dig result for all nodes and so won't dig out nodes with contents and stuff like that. Protection should work too, though I admit I haven't actually tested it yet (I've just been running on a basic game singleplayer server for most of my testing so far, Digtron hasn't really had a multiplayer workout yet).
hajo wrote:I made an entry for the digtron on the wiki.
Mostly just the first posting of this thread,
so no pictures of the modules and recipes yet.
Neat, thanks. This is still a WIP mod so don't put too much effort into documenting it just yet, I've got "better documentation" as the last item on the todo list. :)

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I've added a combined inventory module that's 3/4 building material inventory and 1/4 fuel storage. I did it over lunch while remote-desktopping so I didn't test quite as much as I would have liked to. But this is the WIP mods forum, so hopefully you guys don't mind beta-testing and aren't using this on any "production" servers yet. :)

I updated the texture for the inventory module while I was at it. A black center square means it's building materials, a red center square means it's fuel, and a half-and-half center square means it's both.

Edit: Just threw in some "panel" pieces, for making a cockpit to ride in if you want to get fancy.

Also, fixed the soft digger recipe. Apparently it's been broken for days. Whoops.

Edit the final: Added Pipeworks compatibility. The three inventory modules now automatically connect to Pipeworks nodes when the Pipeworks mod is installed. Not sure how useful this will be in general, but I could imagine it being handy to hook a Digtron up after a long run to drain it of all the cobble and other crap it's accumulated. I mainly added it for the benefit of my tree-harvesting test Digtron.

hajo

by hajo » Post

FaceDeer wrote:added a combined inventory module ..
"panel" pieces, for making a cockpit ..
fixed the soft digger recipe. ..
Wow, that's a lot of detail-work and polishing.
Added Pipeworks compatibility. ..
to hook a Digtron up .. to drain it of all the cobble and other crap it's accumulated.
That would work for 'plantations' near home, that get harvested repeatedly,
so only a faily short pipe is needed
For getting stuff home from mining-runs that end far-off / deep-down,
bags or a teleporter-chest might be more useful.

In other news: I made a small lawn-mower, with an attached pusher-module:
* at ground-level 3 soft diggers in front,
* behind that a combined storage,
* a controler on top,
* plus a pusher on the side (for moving the machine around)
So, all nodes except the controller have contact to the ground.

Now, the pusher-tooltip complains about "only enough traction to move 3 of 5 nodes",
but moving the machine sideways etc. works fine.
Perhaps the calculation for that message is buggy ?

Also, handling of that lawnmower would be more convincent
with some way to rotate it...

And another idea for the auto-controler:
to its formspec, add a slot for putting in a "stop"-node,
like in the builder-formspec.
Treat that material in there just like protected, so the machine would stop.

That could be used to fence in a harvester, e.g. with torches/chests/fence-posts etc.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

hajo wrote: Wow, that's a lot of detail-work and polishing.
I've been starting to feel ideas for a new mod nibbling at the edges of my attention so I'm going all-out to try to get everything I want done on this one by the end of this weekend. :) My to-do list is down to three remaining should-have items.
hajo wrote: For getting stuff home from mining-runs that end far-off / deep-down,
bags or a teleporter-chest might be more useful.
Would you happen to know of any minecart mods that allow minecarts to be treated as chests? I've had some fun laying tracks in my test tunnels, it's kind of neat taking a nice relaxing ten-minute ride on a cart just taking in the subterranean scenery (I have found that placing one powered rail segment every 14 nodes maintains a cart's velocity almost indefinitely - one extra powered rail segment is needed every kilometer or so). If there's a minecart that acts like a chest I could perhaps see if I could ensure it also has Pipeworks compatibility, that'd be a neat way to move mining refuse back home even if not quite so convenient as teleportation.
hajo wrote: In other news: I made a small lawn-mower, with an attached pusher-module:
* at ground-level 3 soft diggers in front,
* behind that a combined storage,
* a controler on top,
* plus a pusher on the side (for moving the machine around)
So, all nodes except the controller have contact to the ground.

Now, the pusher-tooltip complains about "only enough traction to move 3 of 5 nodes",
but moving the machine sideways etc. works fine.
Perhaps the calculation for that message is buggy ?
I was able to repro this with the following steps: Build the three diggers, storage, and pusher (five nodes total). Dig out the ground under them so that only one node is giving traction, and trigger the pusher. This gives the pusher the "only enough traction for 3 of 5" warning. Then add another controller node and place some dirt underneath to give the Digtron sufficient traction to move. Move it using the new controller node, and the mouseover text that was previously generated for the pusher node will remain reading "only enough traction for 3 of 5" until it is explicitly triggered to update that text.

The reason this happens is because a controller only updates its own mouseover text when it is triggered, but the mouseover text of other nodes is preserved by the move-digtron operation. This should be purely cosmetic, but I'll add a task on my to-do list to see if I can clean up those messages in situations like this. I don't want to just erase the other tooltip message outright since they may contain useful information (a controller with a lot of leftover heat, for example) but some kind of "update tooltip" method should be easily doable.

Four items on my to-do list now. :)
hajo wrote: Also, handling of that lawnmower would be more convincent
with some way to rotate it...
I've done my best to put off implementing this because it's going to be a lot of tedious data-grinding, but it's the only major thing left on my list so that'll probably be today's big task. Whee. :)
hajo wrote: And another idea for the auto-controler:
to its formspec, add a slot for putting in a "stop"-node,
like in the builder-formspec.
Treat that material in there just like protected, so the machine would stop.

That could be used to fence in a harvester, e.g. with torches/chests/fence-posts etc.
I'll add that too, sounds like a good idea. Though as a stop-gap measure you could use a Digtron structure node sitting in front of your fence as a "bumper"; when a Digtron encounters one it'll become part of the Digtron, and of course the structure node won't harm the fence so the Digtron will be immediately obstructed.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Oho! I just tried it out, and it looks like carts are *almost* Pipeworks-friendly out-of-the-box! Though it doesn't seem like it was intentional. When you have a pipe feed an item into a cart the item pops out of the end of the pipe as if there wasn't something there to receive it, but then the minecart picks it up automatically. Fantastic, I can actually use this to transport bulk quantities of cobble conveniently.

The only missing feature is that Pipeworks can't extract items from a minecart. But this is really a Pipeworks issue, not a digtron issue, so I'll leave off at this point.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

This is boring :]

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Okay, it was as brain-meltingly tedious as I expected it would be, but I've implemented a "rotation unit" that is able to rotate a Digtron array around itself. The rotation unit serves as the pivot and rotates the Digtron 90 degrees when you right-click on it, in the direction indicated by the arrows on the unit's sides. Use the screwdriver to change the orientation of the rotation unit to make it rotate the Digtron in other directions. The Digtron will only rotate if there's room for it to do so, so if your long, thin tunnel-borer is deep underground you're going to have to do some excavation to make it work (which seems like a reasonable expectation to me).

That's the only feature I added today. And it's the last really major one on my to-do list, the rest of the stuff here are minor tweaks and nice-to-haves. So I think a good estimate is that I expect I'll be able to stick a bow on this and request a move to the Releases forum in about a week, barring major bugs or unforeseeable epiphanies.

In other news the default minecarts turned out to be unreliable transporters of goods - I loaded one up with cobble, took it for a ride, and after a little while noticed that the cobble was gone. Aw. I guess they don't really have an "inventory" per se, so stuff they're transporting is left to the vagaries of entity expiry.

Edit: Hold on a sec, spotted a bug. Rotating digtrons breaks the stored facing data on builders, investigating...
Edit2: There, got it. Minor oversight.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

FaceDeer wrote:Okay, it was as brain-meltingly tedious as I expected it would be, but I've implemented a "rotation unit" that is able to rotate a Digtron array around itself. The rotation unit serves as the pivot and rotates the Digtron 90 degrees when you right-click on it, in the direction indicated by the arrows on the unit's sides. Use the screwdriver to change the orientation of the rotation unit to make it rotate the Digtron in other directions. The Digtron will only rotate if there's room for it to do so, so if your long, thin tunnel-borer is deep underground you're going to have to do some excavation to make it work (which seems like a reasonable expectation to me).

That's the only feature I added today. And it's the last really major one on my to-do list, the rest of the stuff here are minor tweaks and nice-to-haves. So I think a good estimate is that I expect I'll be able to stick a bow on this and request a move to the Releases forum in about a week, barring major bugs or unforeseeable epiphanies.

In other news the default minecarts turned out to be unreliable transporters of goods - I loaded one up with cobble, took it for a ride, and after a little while noticed that the cobble was gone. Aw. I guess they don't really have an "inventory" per se, so stuff they're transporting is left to the vagaries of entity expiry.

Edit: Hold on a sec, spotted a bug. Rotating digtrons breaks the stored facing data on builders, investigating...
Edit2: There, got it. Minor oversight.
I think you may have over looked the pun boring has two meanings 1, to find tedious 2, to dig a hole/tunnel

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Nice thing! As you said, great to build tunnels, bridges a.s.o.
Me and a friend once built a machine with mesecons sticky blocks, movestones and pipeworks node breakers that was able to build tunnels... when we built it in a larger scale the world file got corrupted for any reason.

Anyway, I have a problem. Your mod is great at building straight structures. But I want to build railway tunnels for my trains mod that go diagonal.
Spoiler
To build this kind of tunnel:
Procedure for digging:
1. move 4 nodes forward and dig
2. move 2 nodes backward
3. move 1 node left
yay, we have proceeded 2 nodes forward.

You have this problem too if you need to build a tunnel up or down.
The solution would be IMO:
- Have a "bidirectional digger head". Every step, it digs in 2 directions. (maybe also 2 different period/offset settings)
- An advanced controller where you can specify a "movement pattern" depending on the controller's orientation.

I can try to implement it myself if you don't want to, and then pull-request.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

hajo

by hajo » Post

FaceDeer wrote:I've implemented a "rotation unit" that is able to rotate a Digtron array
Nice!
Spoiler
Thanks !

BTW, the download is still missing a small screenshot.png, and a description.txt, e.g.

digtron - a modular tunnel boring/building machine for minetest, v0.7 - 2017-01-08

Forum : https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16295
github: https://github.com/FaceDeer/digtron/
Attachments
Digtron-Lawnmower with rotation-unit
Digtron-Lawnmower with rotation-unit
Digtron-Lawnmower-Rotator.png (236.05 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Last edited by hajo on Sun Jan 08, 2017 15:00, edited 2 times in total.

hajo

by hajo » Post

orwell wrote: Procedure for digging:
1. move 4 nodes forward and dig
2. move 2 nodes backward
3. move 1 node left
You have this problem too if you need to build a tunnel up or down.
The solution would be IMO:
- Have a "bidirectional digger head". Every step, it digs in 2 directions.
(maybe also 2 different period/offset settings)
- An advanced controller where you can specify a "movement pattern"
depending on the controller's orientation.
Maybe go for a string-based program instead of all those periods, offsets etc.
Eg. the above procedure would become "FFFFdBBL".

And/or assign diggers & builders a name or number, to form 'activation groups',
so "FFFF1BB2L". would trigger group 1 after "FFFF", and trigger group 2 before"L".

Or let "group 0" dig/build on every move, so no need to include it in the program.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

I was trying to implement the pattern control node but gave it up for the moment because that "offset" stuff made problems.
hajo, not a bad idea, but would heavily change internal mod mechanics and machines won't function anymore.
FaceDeer, if you want, I can implement my and hajo's idea and PR.
Or do you permit me to run my fork as separately announced mod, while of course stating everywhere that it was you who created it and referencing the original?
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I'd love to include a "programmable controller" more sophisticated than the auto-controller, sure. One of the things remaining on my to-do list is a "clean up the code for the benefit of future modders" pass now that the main stuff is done, so you might want to wait for that, but if you're gung-ho to start right away then go for it I suppose and we'll see what happens. :)
hajo wrote:BTW, the download is still missing a small screenshot.png, and a description.txt, e.g.
Yeah, that's polish still remaining to do. I wasn't declaring the mod to be completely done right this instant, just that I had completed all the main features I could think of and all that was left was minor tinkering (such as your idea to give auto-controllers a "stop when digging this node type" setting from an earlier comment). This "programmable controller" idea might be a new major feature though, which will put off the release.

I want there to be a gap between the last major feature and release to allow for lots of testing. There's always weird little bugs to find.

mr_dean
In-game: mr_dean

by mr_dean » Post

This is so cool FaceDeer,I like using it to build tunnels, and not having to supply it with roof material. it works as a tower builder too, (not really but sorta...) I made it build a ten-story tower, with two walls missing, but it wasn't supposed to build towers. keep it up! Can't wait to see where you take this project.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that what you heard is not what I meant. - Author Unknown